News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: please can you recommend me a rpg on this site that has female protagonist  (Read 2064 times)

BelovedCriminal

• View Profile

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
Could you be more specific? For instance, there's plenty of hacks that just replace the original main character's graphics with a girl and not much else, like multiple Legend of Zelda games (...or my own early hack, Mint's Adventure)

If that's enough for you, then just search the character's name and you'll find a few.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
You're aware that this site only hosts hacks and not any actual complete games, right?

I hear the Slayers RPG is pretty neat.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
Off the top of my head, counting Action-RPGs:

Popful Mail
FFVI (technically, it's an ensemble really)
Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure
Every pokemon game Crystal onwards, and Pokemon TCG 1 and 2 (the first with a patch only)
Monster World IV

There's more obviously, but I have no idea what patches are available for this sort of thing.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 09:08:18 pm by Chronosplit »

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
Assuming we're talking about translations here, the pool of games that are actually worth playing is a lot smaller than I'd like, but there are a few.

I really can't recommend the Madou Monogatari series enough (though I may be just a bit biased, as you can see from who released most of these patches). They're mostly dungeon crawlers, but if you're one of those people who reject anything first-person as an RPG on principle, the SNES game is a conventional overhead RPG. Lunar: Walking School is a nice Game Gear RPG based on the Lunar series. Royal Stone is another Game Gear game; it's an SRPG and I haven't played it personally, but it's supposed to be one of the best games on the console.

Games based on popular anime licenses sometimes had enough money put into them to result in a good game: Sailor Moon: Another Story is well regarded, as is the SNES Magic Knight Rayearth game (though the translation patch is oooold and I haven't played it personally, so I don't know how it holds up). A lesser-known title is Eien no Filena, which is actually based on a novel series IIRC. It's not as as good a game, but beggars can't be choosers.

Unfortunately, a lot of older games with female protagonists are "bishoujo games" that are just trying to use sex appeal to entice men into buying mediocre-to-bad games, which I don't much care for. Though if that's what you're looking for, you've certainly got more options...

Cristal

• View Profile
Nobody mentioned Phantasy Star yet, so...

By far one of the best SMS games.

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Nobody mentioned Phantasy Star yet, so...

By far one of the best SMS games.

I was about to!

Final Fantasy VI has Terra, but it also has a sort of de-centralized narrative that doesn't technically highlight any one character as the protagonist. The game does begin with her, at any rate, but as for which FF6 romhack you ought to play...

I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
Not on this site, or even roms for that matter, but OP might consider checking out Ara Fell which is a pretty good rpg with a female protagonist, also CrossCode comes out on Switch soon and looks to be an extremely promising ARPG hybrid, also with a female MC.
Sleepy's Tune of the week || Bibio - The Milky-Way over Ratlinhope - https://youtu.be/nfwDo5ioKSs

MathUser2929

• View Profile
Theres a couple nes hacks. Theres one hack that changes mario into pauline in donkey kong on nes. Theres one that changes link to zelda.

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
Filena: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/761/
Satsu is working on a new revision but it's still playable.

CO_Andy

• View Profile
Mystic Ark
Energy Breaker
Linkle Liver Story
Romancing Saga
Seiken Densetsu 3

The Slayers RPG was pretty mediocre. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't a fan of the series.

Badseed

• View Profile
Arabian Nights: Sabaku no Seirei Ou
Great SNES RPG. It's Japan only, but there is a translation here on this site.
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

Vanya

• View Profile
I instantly thought of Final Fantasy VI.
While it does have an ensemble cast, arguably the focus of the plot in each half of the game is clearly two prominent female characters.

aqualung

• View Profile
Legend of the Ghost Lion, Walkyrie no Bouken.

Malias

• View Profile
More recently, there's been Child of Light and Indivisible.
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~