News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Having difficulties with "Zelda Starring Zelda 2 (SNES)"  (Read 479 times)

ZeldaTheSwordsman

• View Profile
Having difficulties with "Zelda Starring Zelda 2 (SNES)"
« on: June 30, 2020, 07:42:55 pm »
I recently discovered something I've always wanted: a "Play as Zelda" hack for LttP: Zelda Starring Zelda 2

But I have not been able to use it successfully. I have tried applying the patch with both IPSWIN and Lunar IPS, and all it does is corrupt the ROM and make it fail to load past the first logo. I have tried playing with both Snes9x and ZSNES (Deprecated though the latter is), just to be sure, and no dice. I have tried applying the patch multiple times, with the same poor results.

There is no README in the archive, only the IPS patch itself.

I also tested the unpatched ROM to see if that was the problem, but no; the unpatched ROM runs fine.

I tried searching the forums for help before posting, but all I turned up covering this specific hack is a thread about a text upgrade for it with a now-defunct link.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Having difficulties with "Zelda Starring Zelda 2 (SNES)"
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 02:43:48 pm »
The hack page has checksums for the ROM with which it is supposed to be used, though that information isn't always accurate.

Have you tried adding a header to your ROM, or removing the header if it already has one? That's usually the problem when it comes to SNES hacks.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

ZeldaTheSwordsman

• View Profile
Re: Having difficulties with "Zelda Starring Zelda 2 (SNES)"
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 05:37:10 pm »
The hack page has checksums for the ROM with which it is supposed to be used, though that information isn't always accurate.

Have you tried adding a header to your ROM, or removing the header if it already has one? That's usually the problem when it comes to SNES hacks.
No, I have not tried that, and I'm not sure what tool to use. The "I have an SNES patch and it doesn't work" FAQ says to use something called NSRT to check the ROM, but the link supplied is faulty. Trying to use it triggered uBlock warnings, disabling the blocking temporarily and clicking it just serves up random commercial websites, and trying to go to the link location directly brings up a domain placeholder page.

The hack page does mention "NOINTRO" after the source ROM filename. Does that mean anything? Like, do I need a separate hack that removes the game's intro sequence? If so, it's not in Romhacking.net's collection of LttP hacks.

I did also see that the ROM filename is different from the ROM I have - including the file extension. Does renaming .sfc to .smc work, or does it corrupt the file?

EDIT: I have tested changing the file extension. It does not corrupt the ROM, but it also did not help the patch work.
Using TUSH (perhaps the FAQ should link to that instead?) to add a header did work, however. I'm going to leave a review for the hack that notes that a header is necessary, and to use TUSH to check since the FAQ information is out of date.

Next question: What other hacks are compatible with this hack?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 11:08:57 pm by ZeldaTheSwordsman »