News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town Spanish Translation  (Read 6903 times)

Graphicus

• View Profile
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town Spanish Translation
« on: June 29, 2020, 09:05:10 am »
As the title indicates, I'm interested in completing a Spanish translation for this title. I'm a native-level speaker in both languages and have plenty of real-life work experience translating documents so that's one thing I'm not worried about. 

My main issue is that I have little to no experience working on romhacks. I mostly do pixel art (hence my nickname). I've experimented with Tile editors to change graphics and the like and have also messed around with hex editors, but haven't gotten too far.

What can I tell you about this title?

Well, all of the text appears to be uncompressed so it can be easily edited with a hex editor. However, Spanish tends to be a much longer language than English, so my main concern is whether there's a possibility of either:
  • Adding additional "panels of text" to a character's dialogue (not sure what the correct term for this is) for longer sequences of dialogue.
  • Changing the font to one with a much smaller width, both in menus as well as dialogue. This is because a lot of menu elements have names that are much longer in Spanish than they are in English. The game appears to use the same font for just about everything (menus AND dialogue).

If anyone is interested in helping out, I would greatly appreciate it.

FCandChill

• View Profile

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town Spanish Translation
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 03:01:51 pm »
I may be able to help. I have a decent disassembly of the game, and it shouldn't be too hard.

Graphicus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 09:57:54 pm »
The Newbie Package of REQUIRED Material

Use cartographer (script dumping) and atlas (script insertion). I recall the pointers were very close to the dialogue data.

Pointers are specifically the part that eludes me. Appreciate you sharing those docs. I will definitely take a look at them.

I may be able to help. I have a decent disassembly of the game, and it shouldn't be too hard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Right now the main issue is text length and how to extend that (where possible) without breaking the game.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 11:36:23 pm »
Pointers are specifically the part that eludes me. Appreciate you sharing those docs. I will definitely take a look at them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Right now the main issue is text length and how to extend that (where possible) without breaking the game.

Pointers specify where dialogue is located. When you repoint, you relocate where the dialogue is located. You also control how long the dialogue line is. Repointing is the solution to your issue. As for danke helping you out, you're in good hands. As for the partial disassembly of Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town, I'd love to see it, danke!

pinguimbozo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 10:36:59 pm »
Hi! Years ago I translate this game to Portuguese. You can find a text dumper/inserter here: https://www.romhacking.net.br/index.php?topic=1521.0
You just need to adapt the tool for your project.

The huge problem is the title screen. It requires a lot of asm knowledge.

Sorry for any english mistakes. I'm not a fluent speaker.

Do you find a way to edit the title screen? It's the only thing I didn't edit in my translation.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 10:50:59 pm by pinguimbozo »

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 01:02:04 pm »
Hi! Years ago I translate this game to Portuguese. You can find a text dumper/inserter here: https://www.romhacking.net.br/index.php?topic=1521.0
You just need to adapt the tool for your project.

The huge problem is the title screen. It requires a lot of asm knowledge.

Sorry for any english mistakes. I'm not a fluent speaker.

Do you find a way to edit the title screen? It's the only thing I didn't edit in my translation.

I would assume we'd have to register on the forum to download it, no? I can't seem to find the download link. Can you provide a download link here instead?

Graphicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 08:53:55 pm »
Just to be clear, I'm following up on this thread and am still 100% committed to making a Spanish translation. I haven't answered these lasts posts mainly because FCandChill has beaten me to the punch with the corresponding relevant questions. :P

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 05:24:52 pm »
Just to be clear, I'm following up on this thread and am still 100% committed to making a Spanish translation. I haven't answered these lasts posts mainly because FCandChill has beaten me to the punch with the corresponding relevant questions. :P

I decided to take it upon myself and sign up. Here's a mirror of the download:

https://mega.nz/file/c25WlCYY#dcmbJqR6jFYm1xpifcjGU7zAEeStfuB-bVNdmIQF840

I renamed the archive from "Files.7z" to "Harvest Moon Script Dumper and Inserter.7z". Other than that, everything else was untouched.

As for the code itself, it's very small and compact. All the dumping and insertion data is in a.py. __main.py handles all the dumping and insertion. Two archives called "Dumped" and "Insert" store the script. The code is in English and the comments are in Portuguese.

It's up to you if you want to use this utility or not. I would recommend using the romhacking standard utilities like Cartographer and Atlas or you can have me adjust my utilities for you, if you want to work in a GUI.

Graphicus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 04:46:56 pm »
Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using one vs. the other? I ask this as a complete noob.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 05:28:30 pm »
Are there any advantages/disadvantages to using one vs. the other? I ask this as a complete noob.

I haven't used Atlas or Cartographer much, but here it goes.

Python script
* Seems rather primitive.
* I couldn't get it to compile.

Atlas / Cartographer
* Widely used. More or less a standard
* Kind of a pain to work with flat files. As in, you're working with plain txt files.
* I looked at Cartographer's source code and couldn't really follow it.
* You have a decent amount of examples and source at your disposal.
* The developer of Altas is fairly active.
* There's a steep difficulty curve.

Cypro Ace and Spiro
* Currently, behind closed doors because I still add features from time to time, so I will have to set up the environment for you.
* It's been awhile since I did benchmarking, but the script dumping and insertion is faster than Atlas and Cartographer.
* I think the source code is good.
* The utility supports autolinebreaking. It's incredibly tedious to add line breaks manually to every dialogue line.
* The utility allows writing your script to multiple regions. I've heard Atlas is really limited to where it can write to the rom.
* It doesn't support writing to multiple files like Atlas. I just never found the need to program it in, since I never needed to.
* The preview option makes it easier to edit scripts that are heavy with control codes.

July 09, 2020, 05:17:33 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I looked at the python script dumper and got a script dump.

https://mega.nz/file/5jABmQRR#CGyV_RVe4goONxCeOskFTPlAb6q_iV31QYQpINdwr7s

So the game uses 4 byte pointers which point to "RIFF" "files". The RIFF files contain "src code" "jump" and script data. Quite an interesting format. It's no wonder the game was never fan translated...

In any case, the src code junk is not a big deal, however, I need some more info on the "jump" data. I tried No$GBA's debugger, and ARM7 is much different to 6502. It's more similar to Intel processors which I don't have much experience with. I hypothesize that data after "JUMP" contains embedded pointer data. I know for a fact the game uses embedded reads, but I need some more info on it.

Hi! Years ago I translate this game to Portuguese.

By the way, your tool doesn't dump / insert all dialogue in the game.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 05:17:33 am by FCandChill »

pinguimbozo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 06:50:55 pm »
Well, my code can extract/insert .txt scripts automatically, and breaklines for the text and recalculating the pointers. All the rom infos are in .py files. It's only a source code. You can take that as a base to build another tool.

Graphicus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2020, 03:50:07 pm »
I greatly appreciate the effort from everyone, but I think I'll wait for danke's help in this specific occasion.

I'm not sure I'm knowledgeable enough to account for possible issues I might run into. He mentioned he's working on it, so I also don't want his effort to go to waste.