News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Wario Land 2 Extended (Wario Land 2 rom hack)  (Read 4158 times)

NekoBaron

• View Profile
Wario Land 2 Extended (Wario Land 2 rom hack)
« on: June 28, 2020, 12:28:27 pm »

Wario Land 2 Extended (or Extra, maybe just EX?) is something I've been working on quietly on and off for the last few years and aims to be a full set of new levels for Wario to bust though made with the WL2 editor made by evmatter

This project has been a lot larger than I had though and should hopefully be soon released as 25 brand new levels out of the original 51 making it a complete normal 25 level play through and hopefully if there's enough interest perhaps complete it at later date and finish off the whole 51 levels.

Features
  • 25/25 Levels Currently complete
  • A more challenging but accessible level of difficulty for all Wario Fans
  • Uses more of the available level data giving a longer adventure
  • Every level borrows from its original theme but rebuilt from scratch
  • Tweaked boss rooms
  • Extended tilesets, pallets, tweaks and a few custom tile graphics
  • Plenty of coins to collect and treasure rooms to find
  • Secret exits can still be located but the doors will be blocked off for now

Currently this hack has only been play tested on emulator but should be fully compatible.
I sadly don't have a ETA yet as with current pace I've sat around tweaking a single room for over an hour at a time to create a challenge but would love to release the 25 levels in the next few months.

Additional Media (May spoil certain levels)
In game screen shot
Chapter 1 - 3 Let the water out!
Chapter 4 - 2 Over the rooftops!

Feel free to ask any questions you might have or say what you think so far, I am not looking for testers at this time but I have a few people who are interested in testing in mind so when its released it should be fully tested independently by then.

Update: Has now been released https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5350/
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 03:25:20 pm by NekoBaron »

bradzx

• View Profile
Re: Wario Land 2 Extended (Wario Land 2 rom hack)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 06:36:03 am »
This look fun.   Look forward to see it.
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 08:57:35 am »
I love Wario land 2 (and 3) so I'm definitely looking forward to this.

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 07:48:34 pm »
Looks great to me! Been hoping for some more Wario Land series hacks for a while now, especially with people like Blanchon and SSP doing great work on Wario Land 3 and 4 respectively.

Seeing a full length Wario Land 2 hack will be awesome.

Regardless, have you also considered mentioning it on Wario Forums, its Discord or the Wario subreddit? Think quite a few people may be interested in learning about this project there...
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

NekoBaron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 08:57:35 pm »
Regardless, have you also considered mentioning it on Wario Forums, its Discord or the Wario subreddit? Think quite a few people may be interested in learning about this project there...
I may at the time of release but just wanted to get it all sorted in one place for now instead of worrying about keeping track of multiple places, I felt stressed enough just announcing its existence but wanted to so I have a push to finish the last few levels and give me somewhere to link people to who are interested.

Blanchon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 05:20:15 am »
It's great to see an almost complete hack of a wario land gb game. Will you try to tweak the game's code or are you keeping it simple ? It would give you more freedom if you could change the order of each levels or even the paths themselves, and since it's more straight-forward and enclosed than WL3, it might be less of a nightmare to realize.

as with current pace I've sat around tweaking a single room for over an hour at a time to create a challenge

And finally someone understanding the pain I feel !  :banghead:  :beer:

NekoBaron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 08:46:18 am »
Will you try to tweak the game's code or are you keeping it simple ?

I would love it if I could to do some tweaks for blocks and gamelogic (such as holding an enemy while on a conveyor belt doesnt actually move you) but even with my own knowledge of programming I wouldn't know where to start with disassembling it (plus I've broken the editor quite a few times already), I may consider it for the later 25 levels if I get around to it as it would let me create a few more layouts/puzzles for them.

I am messing with as much as I can at the moment since WL2 by default doesn't quite use all its potential.

Blanchon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 09:11:53 am »
Hello again NekoBaron ! I'm playing the WL2 you just released a week ago, and I cannot figure out how to end the 2nd level : I'm stuck in the end room, right before the faucet.

Spoiler:

I thought first that I had to throw violently the goon on the left platform onto those pots to destroy them, but it didn't work. Is there something I'm missing ?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 06:51:49 am by Blanchon »

NekoBaron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 03:20:44 pm »
Hello again NekoBaron ! I'm playing the WL2 you just released a week ago, and I cannot figure out how to end the 2nd level : I'm stuck in the end room, right before the faucet.

I thought first that I had to throw violently the goon on the left platform onto those pots to destroy them, but it didn't work. Is there something I'm missing ?
Check the left side of the room, you should see stairs you can roll on and smash though the pots.

Blanchon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 06:33:25 am »
Thank you for the advice, it worked ! I thought these stairs were just stairs and nothing like a slope ... Too much WL3 made me forget slopes don't have to be extra smooth to be slopes. :crazy:

Enjoyable levels so far, it's more demanding but still has tolerable difficulty (as you described it).  :thumbsup:

September 02, 2020, 06:51:14 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Spoiler:

In the 3rd level, in the large room where you have to do a bunch of rolls on platforms above water current, this door has a water tile behaviour (the upper part I think, since you can still enter the door normally).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 06:52:32 am by Blanchon »

pumab

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 07:42:10 pm »
Dear Neko Baron,

First of all thank you for creating this romhack, I am a huge Wario Land 2 - 3 fan aswell, it was awazing to finnaly play new levels.
I play through the game at least once every year for decades now, I was 7-8 years old when the game was released and when I got it for my GBC.
It is one of the best platformer game I ever played because of its mechanics. For me it was extreme fun to play your romhack because how challanging and creative you re-designed the levels. 
I would like to create a long play video to youtube from your romhack later on.
Are you planing on updating the romhack in the future? I've found several glitches where you can fall out from the map etc.
Is there any way you are willing to join the offical Wario Land forums , and its disocord server ?

Thanks for the reply 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 10:05:10 pm by pumab »