News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Tools for specific game - Pokemon Card GB 2  (Read 883 times)

Kensaki

• View Profile
Tools for specific game - Pokemon Card GB 2
« on: June 25, 2020, 07:41:18 pm »
Hello friends,

I am a complete beginner here but with time and willingness to do my project! I wonder if someone with more experience could help me. I searched a lot and didn't found materials to work on Pokemon TCG for GB. Most of the content I find works only in "standard" Pokemon games (RBY, GSC, etc.). I know that there are already some translations of the game (originally JP), so there may already be some tools right? But, I still can't find them anywhere so. I came here to ask if can anyone help me with this?

Basically, I am a TCG enthusiast and would like go deeper into editing the game.

Appreciate help!

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
Re: Tools for specific game - Pokemon Card GB 2
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 11:10:24 am »
There aren't easy-to-use *tools* to my knowledge, but there is information about the ROM and RAM maps on the wiki:

Pokemon TCG
Pokemon TCG 2

The first game also has a disassembly, so you could edit the code and rebuild it if you wanted. One of my earliest hacks was for Pokemon TCG, so if you have specific questions I may be able to help.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Tools for specific game - Pokemon Card GB 2
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 11:22:01 am »
When you say editing do you mean deck changing? Such things are usually only any good for when playing against humans rather than AI, and we get asked a lot about them.

AI for card games is incredibly hard to do which is why customisation is extremely limited, or nonexistent, in most of them and the AI is usually pretty weak (or cheats, or sees you handicapped massively) as well.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/duels-planeswalkers-all-about-ai-2014-02-13 is a nice article and bear in mind that was for a xbox 360 (3.2 GHz of high end processor and hundreds of megs of memory, not 4.2MHz of not very powerful processor and 8 kilobytes of RAM https://bgb.bircd.org/pandocs.htm#gameboytechnicaldata ).

If you want to instead edit story/text, level layouts if it is an RPG type deal, maybe make some cheats (though again be wary of removing handicaps), graphics, music or whatever then carry on as those are the same as anything else in other games (some are still hard though).