News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Masakari Densetsu Kintaro Action Hen [GB]  (Read 3792 times)

flyingclimber

• amateur rom hacker, translator, and developer
    • View Profile
Masakari Densetsu Kintaro Action Hen [GB]
« on: June 25, 2020, 01:42:17 am »
Been working on a translation of Masakari Densetsu Kintaro Action Hen (マサカリ伝説 金太郎アクション編) Gameboy for the last couple of weeks and it's finally starting to come together. The game is a story driven platformer that draws on Japanese folklore in many funny ways. It was already playable even if you didn't know Japanese but I hope that once the translation is finished that everyone will enjoy it even more. 

Game text, graphics, and font have all been updated to varying degrees. Lots of stuff still needs to happen so volunteers are welcome.

I'm very open to revisions especially since I now have a better idea of how much space is available within the ROM.

I could use some help with graphics as that's not my main skill, editing, and translation (http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=30855.0)

Big thanks to zuvi's game room (https://twitter.com/zuvittonan) for letting me know about this game.

And here is quite possibly my favorite scene from the game so far ...  :laugh: >:D

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: Masakari Densetsu Kintaro Action Hen [GB]
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 09:39:35 am »
If you run into space issues with the translation, it would probably be trivial to add a simple DTE text compression or just expand the ROM. I'd be willing to help at the appropriate time if need be.

ifightdragons

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 03:33:32 pm »
Never heard of this game before this, and now I'm looking forward to playing it.

Thanks for the great presentation!

flyingclimber

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 06:40:39 pm »
Thanks all. DTE could be interesting if we start running low on space but we still have some head room. I won't really know if we need it till the script translation is done. Right now, I've translated about 65% of the text but what's left is pretty hard and slow moving for me.

If anyone is up for editing help then I could certainly use it. The project doc is here and you should be able to view it anonymously. Just shoot me a PM and I'll add you as an editor.

July 01, 2020, 06:07:01 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Steady progress. We're at 75% script translated with hopefully another translator joining to get us over the finish line.

Hoping to have an alpha patch in a week or two.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 06:07:01 pm by flyingclimber »

MiYaku

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 12:21:08 am »
I could do some translations, but I require that my translations don't contain censorship.
Simply, I don't work with groups that self censor, are you okay with that?

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 04:41:45 am »
Your work in this game looks wonderful! I only know it from seeing it on offlinelist. I remember there was another game related to this one, but that one is a rpg very similar in style to the GB ONI saga, which I think Pennywise is working on.

Do you consider tackling that other game as well, in the future? Both games seem to be done by the same developers, so perhaps all the work done in "Kintarou Action hen" could be reused in the other one.

By the way, this is the game I'm referring to:

マサカリ伝説金太郎RPG編 (Masakari Densetsu Kintarou RPG hen)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xImjHs5K7XE
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 01:55:03 pm by aqualung »

ifightdragons

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 11:05:49 am »
I've added some suggestions in the Notes section on the Strings, using my IFD moniker.

Looks like you've done a hell of a good job! Really looking forward to playing this :)

Viewer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 01:42:57 am »
I'd like to help; I'm currently working with ifightdragons on another translation project.

ifightdragons

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 08:07:12 am »
Viewer is good, he might be able to help get all the details just right.

flyingclimber

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 04:03:33 pm »
Big update as we are ready to go into patch alpha testing.

TLDR; Download alpha IPS patch. Please post feedback on this thread, msg me, or join discord chat for fastest responses.

We're now at 100% story strings translated and focusing on editing and testing. That's not to say we won't revisit translations as there are a couple that I'm not so certain about but every string has had at least one translation pass.

Thanks to @ifightdragons we've also had an edit pass on the script to fix grammatical errors, improve flow, and in general fix all the terrible mistakes I made.

I'm sure there will be things that don't make sense and need to change but enough is there to start wider testing.

We've updated
  • 100% of the story and re-inserted text
  • All cutscenes
  • Title screen
  • Battle screen
  • Select menu
  • Password screen
  • Debug menu
  • Ending

What's left
  • Credits
  • Makitoshi game
  • Improve title screen graphics
  • Check that all strings fit within the game window
  • More editing
  • Double check some translations
  • Lots of small things

Big thank you for all those offering to help. The best help right now would be to download the alpha1 IPS patch and play it. If you run into any problems then feel free to msg me, respond on this thread, or join discord chat for fastest responses. We'll be keeping a tally of current issues on the project document.

This project has been a lot of fun and researching this game has been such a good primer on GameBoy hacking that I plan to start a blog series.

Some things that I plan to cover in the series
  • Finding text and tiles
  • Adding new tiles and updating the script
  • Creating a table file, control codes, and extracting the script
  • Pointer tables and how to use them
  • Using breakpoints
  • Things I wish I had known
  • ... and a lot more

None of these will be new insights to the community but I hope that it'll be a fun resource that has a central theme and is really approachable by anyone. I've already written a couple of these and could certainly use some editing help if anyone is interested.

Now, let's do some specific responses
  • @Viewer - Would love for you to play the patch and work with @fightdragons on any edits.
  • @aqualung - I'm open to looking at RPG hen but only if I have someone else to help translate. There is a lot more text and I'll easily burn out if I do it on my own. Luckily that games text is uncompressed and easy to modify.
  • @MiYaku - No big translation requests right now but maybe RPG hen in the future?
  • @ifightdragons - Keep being awesome.
Apologies if I missed anything or anyone else.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 08:24:18 pm »
Big update as we are ready to go into patch alpha testing.

TLDR; Download alpha IPS patch. Please post feedback on this thread, msg me, or join discord chat for fastest responses.

We're now at 100% story strings translated and focusing on editing and testing. That's not to say we won't revisit translations as there are a couple that I'm not so certain about but every string has had at least one translation pass.

Thanks to @ifightdragons we've also had an edit pass on the script to fix grammatical errors, improve flow, and in general fix all the terrible mistakes I made.

I'm sure there will be things that don't make sense and need to change but enough is there to start wider testing.

We've updated
  • 100% of the story and re-inserted text
  • All cutscenes
  • Title screen
  • Battle screen
  • Select menu
  • Password screen
  • Debug menu
  • Ending

What's left
  • Credits
  • Makitoshi game
  • Improve title screen graphics
  • Check that all strings fit within the game window
  • More editing
  • Double check some translations
  • Lots of small things

Big thank you for all those offering to help. The best help right now would be to download the alpha1 IPS patch and play it. If you run into any problems then feel free to msg me, respond on this thread, or join discord chat for fastest responses. We'll be keeping a tally of current issues on the project document.

This project has been a lot of fun and researching this game has been such a good primer on GameBoy hacking that I plan to start a blog series.

Some things that I plan to cover in the series
  • Finding text and tiles
  • Adding new tiles and updating the script
  • Creating a table file, control codes, and extracting the script
  • Pointer tables and how to use them
  • Using breakpoints
  • Things I wish I had known
  • ... and a lot more

None of these will be new insights to the community but I hope that it'll be a fun resource that has a central theme and is really approachable by anyone. I've already written a couple of these and could certainly use some editing help if anyone is interested.

Now, let's do some specific responses
  • @Viewer - Would love for you to play the patch and work with @fightdragons on any edits.
  • @aqualung - I'm open to looking at RPG hen but only if I have someone else to help translate. There is a lot more text and I'll easily burn out if I do it on my own. Luckily that games text is uncompressed and easy to modify.
  • @MiYaku - No big translation requests right now but maybe RPG hen in the future?
  • @ifightdragons - Keep being awesome.
Apologies if I missed anything or anyone else.

It's looking really good! Congratulations!

About translating RPG hen, I was suggesting it mostly in case that the game's coding is similar to the one you're translating now and some of that knowledge you've acquired while working on this one can be reused on rpg hen.

I'm right now helping translate another gameboy RPG, Jungle Wars, and I have to say that with minimal knowledge of Japanese (which is my case) and using some online translator such as DeepL, translating a game is feasible if the texts are not excessively complex. So far, in three months I've successfully translated around 80% of Jungle Wars and, if everything goes well, perhaps in a few weeks I could have the entire script translated. Here are a few examples of some npc dialogs:

Spoiler:

original: "「あたし じょゆうよ.<FD> いまひょうばんの サスぺンスドラマ<FE> みたこと あるでしょ?<FD>「えっ!? しらない!?<FE> トップじょゆうの このわたしを?<FD>「あんた テレビ みたこと あるの?<FD> ジャングルには テレビが ない?<FD>「なあんだ おのぼりさんだったのね.<FE> じゃあ いいわ.よろしくね.<FF>"
    translation: "「I’m an actress. Have you seen my popular TV show? What?? You’ve never heard of me before? Don’t you watch TV in the jungle? Oh, these country bumpkins… Well, nevermind. See you."

original: "「ここのところ てつや ばっかしだ.<FE> ***ふあーあ***.<FD>「うちは ゲームを つくっている<FE> かいしゃなんだよ.<FF>"
    translation: "「Yaaaawn… We’ve been up all night, here.「 This is a game developing company."

original: "「このまえ グラウンドに<FE> ひこうきが おりてきたんだ.<FD>「でも すぐまた とんでったよ.<FE> うそじゃないよ.ほんとうさ.<FD>「だって ぼく こんなもの<FE> ひろったんだもの.<FD>「きみだけに みせて あげるよ.<FF>"
    translation: "「Some time ago a plane landed at the school. But they took flight soon thereafter.「That day I found something on the ground.「I’ll show it to you only."

(sorry if some translations sound a little awkward. English isn't my first language, I'm Spanish).

So having said that, if RPG hen is worthy of considering translating, that is, it doesn't turn out to be a kusoge (it looks decent enough to me) and isn't too complicated hacking-wise, I'd be willing to help translating it :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 08:44:56 pm by aqualung »

Stories8106

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 12:50:45 pm »
Awesome stuff here!  Keep at it, I'm looking forward to the release.

More RPGs on Gameboy the better!

anjiera

• gamer, volunteer JP translator, lover of books
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 12:59:50 pm »
This looks super cute!

I dropped you a line on the old Slack group just to let you know where I disappeared to and what my situation is. I should be able to take a look at this tomorrow night.

Do you know roughly how many total lines of text are in the project? Dialog text vs menu text and all that? How is the text organized? Is it nicely put together in scenes, or is it sort of spread all over?

How long do you think a full playthrough would take? Is this a difficult game, or more of a grind+story style RPG?

How easy is it to create save files for mid-game to avoid needing to do a full playthrough every time we want to test the end boss?

I have so many questions! Mostly from so much past pain around these things. lolcry.  :laugh:

flyingclimber

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 05:53:55 pm »
We're moving our discussion to Discord now that more people are involved and we need to communicate faster. Feel free to join us at: https://discord.gg/WeyFHUn . We'll still post updates here as we make significant progress.