News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Puyo Puyo Box help!  (Read 1037 times)

Nek0

• View Profile
Puyo Puyo Box help!
« on: June 19, 2020, 05:14:45 pm »
Hello! :D

I am trying to figure out how to translate Puyo Puyo Box, the last Compile made Puyo Puyo game (PlayStation, 2000). However, I have only got ahold of the .bin and .cue files, and those aren't helping me find the data on which the text/graphics are stored. Is there any way to build something from these files, such that I can accesses the game data I need to translate?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Puyo Puyo Box help!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 09:39:03 pm »
BIN/CUE is just a standard CD image. (You'll find that the .CUE is just a text file containing the track layout.)  You can mount it with any standard CD image editor or PC virtual drive utility (like Virtual CloneDrive), but Playstation games can just address the disc directly without using the ISO filesystem, so that won't necessarily be very useful.

You may enjoy:
The Newbie Package of REQUIRED Material

ROMHacking.net FAQ: You ask, we answer!
ROMHacking.net Getting Started Section: Newbies Go HERE!
ROMHacking.net Documents Section!
How to ask questions the smart way.
On the Essence of ROM Hacking
Talk with experienced people in our IRC chat and ask specific questions there.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Nek0

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 10:50:43 am »
BIN/CUE is just a standard CD image. (You'll find that the .CUE is just a text file containing the track layout.)  You can mount it with any standard CD image editor or PC virtual drive utility (like Virtual CloneDrive), but Playstation games can just address the disc directly without using the ISO filesystem, so that won't necessarily be very useful.

You may enjoy:
The Newbie Package of REQUIRED Material

ROMHacking.net FAQ: You ask, we answer!
ROMHacking.net Getting Started Section: Newbies Go HERE!
ROMHacking.net Documents Section!
How to ask questions the smart way.
On the Essence of ROM Hacking
Talk with experienced people in our IRC chat and ask specific questions there.
Thank you, this is helpful, but I still need to know where the files are in order to get the tables and all the other stuff. Could you help me with this?

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 02:28:25 pm »
If you are expecting this to be easy, then I suggest you adjust your expectations.

Did you bother looking at any of those links? Perhaps try http://www.romhacking.net/documents/63/ .
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Risae

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 03:14:19 pm »
Hi Nek0,

this program is able to dump PS1s .BIN files:

https://github.com/m35/jpsxdec

Nek0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 09:00:10 pm »
Hi Nek0,

this program is able to dump PS1s .BIN files:

https://github.com/m35/jpsxdec
I discovered this, thanks for the help! It turns out the files are stores as .EXE's, the likes of which aren't acsessible on my computer, without a program. Any suggestions?

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 04:43:09 pm »
It turns out the files are stores as .EXE's, the likes of which aren't acsessible on my computer, without a program. Any suggestions?
Most Windows applications are .exe files. Are you not running Windows? In that case, why don't you tell us what OS you are using instead of leaving us to guess?

It is probably possible to compile jpsxdec for whatever OS you are using, but most hacking utilities are Windows-only, and if you read a little more about jpsxdec I think you will find that it probably won't help you much with this translation.

Nek0

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 06:49:50 pm »
Most Windows applications are .exe files. Are you not running Windows? In that case, why don't you tell us what OS you are using instead of leaving us to guess?

It is probably possible to compile jpsxdec for whatever OS you are using, but most hacking utilities are Windows-only, and if you read a little more about jpsxdec I think you will find that it probably won't help you much with this translation.
I am on Windows, I meant that the game is stored as PS-EXEs. Do you have any programs that could help with accessing the text? I tried Atlas/Cartographer, and it didn't work.

Thank you for the help!

June 25, 2020, 11:20:56 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I haven't seen a reply yet, could I have a reply?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 11:20:56 am by Nek0 »