News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. ROM Hacking  (Read 633 times)

Oxiriar

• View Profile
Super Mario Bros. ROM Hacking
« on: July 01, 2020, 05:12:46 am »
Hello,

I am relatively new to ROM hacking, I've done some small things here and there (graphics hacks, messing with music)
Recently I decided to start creating a serious hack with a friend.

I wanted to have a black background for the titlescreen, is there any way to achieve this?
Originally I attempted to just fill the titlescreen area with black tiles, but that with my titlescreen, took up way too much space and became unuseable.
I don't know if modifying the titlescreen requires changing 1-1, but I am willing to attempt anything.

Thanks!

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Bros. ROM Hacking
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 09:22:00 am »
5 approaches.

1) Fiddle with the assembly that loads/generates the thing. Likely overkill in this instance, such things are more when you want to fiddle with animations in such a thing.
2) Change the palette. Not really an option here, even more so if components of the game are used in it.
3) Change the tiles themselves. Not much of an option, especially if stuff is reused in the game.
4) Massive overlay (might want to be combined with some others). Likely to run into memory issues and other annoyances. Save the big overlays for later systems (though even there it is dubious) and smaller ones for ways of blanking smaller things.
5) Change the tile map. The sensible way of doing it but requires a few more minutes of effort as you have to hunt that down (marginally harder than hunting down a tile)

You also have the added option here as the game is one of the more hacked games out there of using a tool
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/491/

Though if you want to do something/learn something.
https://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros.:ROM_map#Tile_Arrangement
says
0x09ED0 to 0x09F90 (00C1) = Title

You may also have to disable some other things or change priorities (don't know if you can easily on the NES offhand)