News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [Technical] GBA Donkey Kong Country 2 Re: Background Palettes (6/13/20 Update)  (Read 167 times)

Homer177

• View Profile
I just recently got into palette editing after being inspired by some palette restorations for SNES re-releases on the GBA. I decided to take up the challenge of working on DKC2 but as I pointed out in my Personal Projects post, the background palette behavior isn't as simple as those for sprites. The rom uses some form of compression to load them into palette ram, with the decompressed palette holding quite a few extra bytes as this post on imgur explains: https://imgur.com/a/XNkSNux.

Is there any good documentation out there on how to work with this? I've been running debuggers for the past few days and can't seem to wrap my head around it.  :banghead:

Here's some stuff I've done so far, via imgur:

As for background palettes, Any time I try to edit them, even avoiding the extra bytes, this happens:

So if anyone could point me to some good resources on LZ77 or Huffman compression, I'd appreciate that. I did manage to make a bit of progress on Pirate Panic, however:

« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 02:02:56 pm by Homer177 »