News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: something about color palettes and FDS games  (Read 383 times)

unidoeshack

• View Profile
something about color palettes and FDS games
« on: June 04, 2020, 01:46:22 pm »
i'm using fceux to change palette as usual, but it doesn't seem to find the color on rom hex, so i look on ppu and wham there it is
but it resets everytime it resets, so i go on nes memory, there it is layed out the way I'm familiar with
and i change that but wham it doesn't change anything, I'm very confused.
would love a help.

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
Re: something about color palettes and FDS games
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 02:27:55 pm »
It's hard to say what you are trying to do exactly. Post some pictures or better yet record a video. And telling us the name of your game wouldn't hurt either.
iromhacker.ru - NES ROM hacking tutorials for beginners. Please use Google Translate browser extension

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 08:21:31 pm »
When you're looking in the hex editor:
  • PPU memory is RAM. It's temporary. Changes made here will show up on the screen, but won't be saved.
  • NES memory is also RAM, so also temporary. The palette gets copied from here to PPU memory. When you edit the palette in NES memory, it's probably already been copied to PPU memory—too late for the changes to show up on screen.

If you're feeling up to it, you might want to try your hand at using a debugger. Since you know where the palette is in NES memory, you can set a breakpoint when the palette is written there to find out where it's loaded from and how.

unidoeshack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 01:23:59 am »
i don't seem to quite understand how the debugger works, could you quickly explain to me where to do what?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 09:57:42 am »

If you're feeling up to it, you might want to try your hand at using a debugger. Since you know where the palette is in NES memory, you can set a breakpoint when the palette is written there to find out where it's loaded from and how.

He spoke about FDS.
That means even the program is RAM. Once you find data in the PRG-RAM area ($6000-DFFF), you'd probably have to do a hex search to find it in the .fds file. And remember that, yes, because it is loaded and run from RAM the code has the possibility of being self-rewritable, unlike cart ROMs.
(no idea if FCEUX supports directly editing FDS ROMs as it does NES)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018