News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Friggin' Cave Story  (Read 1982 times)

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Friggin' Cave Story
« on: June 02, 2020, 11:58:39 pm »
I don't wanna spoil things, so please forgive me if I'm less than specific about things here, but it's been a while since my last real playthru of this, and man, it's got some of the most arbitrary and needlessly procedural secrets I've ever seen in a game of this type.

It's ridiculous, honestly. Without going into too much detail, there is an extremely important *thing* that you can miss just by taking one wrong turn, and the game gives no indication that this wrong turn impacts this *thing* at all, and even when I go to look it up in a walkthru, it still doesn't even make sense that the two are connected in any way.

Spoiler:
I'm talking about how you end up rescuing Curly Brace. If you jump down to Dr. Booster when you see him fall (as any decent friggin' human being would) then the tie rope that you need to take Curly with you after she gets waterlogged (both she and Quote are robots) never appears. WHY?!

Anyway, now I gotta start the game over. Oh well. At least the new OST for it is killer af.

I'd never really seen a game quite like it when I first played it in 2011, and I've never seen anything like it since. Quite a strange little package this all is.

Anyway, off to start my new game (again). What about y'all? Ever played Cave Story (or Doukutsu, as it's known in Japanese I guess)? Thoughts?
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
Re: Friggin' Cave Story
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 12:15:38 am »
obligatory fuck nicalis post

cave story freeware still fine tho

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 12:56:16 am »
Haven't played in a long time, but a fine game. I can still hum some of the music. Wouldn't mind having another go sometime, but there are so many other things to play.

Did you know someone made a port to the Sega Genesis, and it's surprisingly accurate?
https://github.com/andwn/cave-story-md

I agree that thing you speak of is rather silly.  In the later versions of the free release that I recall, there is a conspicuous pixel or two on one tile to indicate exactly where you are supposed to jump from - no doubt added after too many people complained the jump was impossible. (It definitely isn't easy.)  In terms of obnoxiousness, it ranks well below having to play Undertale all over again because I was insufficiently thorough in trying to do a "genocide" run - but that's a subject for another thread.

And I can remember the final ultra-hard level, which is surprisingly easy to finish in record time once you look up a playthrough that shows you the one practical way of doing it. A little unfortunate, that.

I've never seen anything like it since.
It makes me think of Aquaria in some ways, though there are certainly much more apt comparisons.  Have you tried Shovel Knight yet? (I haven't, unfortunately.)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 01:01:58 am by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 01:51:54 am »
Have you tried Shovel Knight yet? (I haven't, unfortunately.)

I have, actually. Graphically speaking, it feels kind of like someone used the Mutagen from TMNT on the Mega Man 6 engine, and as for gameplay, I can't think of much like it, really. The story is light-hearted and kind of silly, and the controls never feel like my screwing up wasn't my fault. It's quite well made, and pretty to boot. The whole mechanic of collecting treasure reminds me of DuckTales, but without the baked-in character motivation (Uncle Scrooge wanting to prove he's richer than GlomGold, as always). I am never exactly clear on why the Knight needs all these gems and gold and stuff...

I guess Armor is expensive? Certainly, shovels can't be. I really haven't played much of it yet, and it's been a while.

Cave Story, on the other hand, has the strange quality of coming off like it's not based on anything else. There just isn't anything I can think of to compare it to aesthetically, or gameplay-wise, other than the obvious mechanic of exploring and not being able to access areas without the equipment necessary to do so.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this used to be called an 'adventure' game? Everyone says it was necessary to give this genre of games a specific name, but I thought it already had one. Somehow 'Adventure' has transmogrified into 'MetroidVania' because people noticed when SotN ripped off Super Metroid's map system? So what? Kid Icarus did it before either of them.

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 05:49:29 am »
yeah it's pretty arbitrary. but you see stuff like that all over, particularly in jRPGs. here it just looks like the best ending was intended to stay hidden for some time after the release, until found by the community. the worst example of stuff like that is probably La-Mulana's Hell Temple, where you have no realistic chance at all to find it by yourself. because it was intended for the community to uncover it, or so i've heard. same thing here i guess.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 07:47:33 pm »
Note: Not just a meme, but also a screencap from today's session which ended in failure

Clearly, I better watch that youtube video again. :|

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 12:05:37 am »
obligatory fuck nicalis post

cave story freeware still fine tho
For those not in the know: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccwVdj8dYQQ

At least we have NXEngine.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 12:34:27 am »
"Nicholas?" All this time I've been saying "Nye-KAL-iss"

Huh. :huh:

And um, I knew about this from Jason Schreier's article, yeah. But I wasn't gonna say anything because I didn't wanna make those kinds of waves. I've seen (and at times caused) some major drama on this very web forum, before... I'm a bit more wary of touching controversial topics around here these days.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 03:20:15 pm »
I completely missed Kero Blaster.  It looks pretty awesome! I shall have to append it to my backlog the next time it goes on sale.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 06:52:05 pm »

My time for completing the Bloodstained Sanctuary was 9'54"8, which yes, I'm aware is ridiculously long. :) I'm just happy I finally finished it (again).

Sliver X

• Laputan Machine
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 06:12:57 am »
Did you know someone made a port to the Sega Genesis, and it's surprisingly accurate?
https://github.com/andwn/cave-story-md

Holy shit, thanks for linking this: It's pretty amazing. Very interesting hearing the soundtrack being played on a YM2612 in particular.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 08:58:05 am »
Last night I managed under 6 mins. I think that'll probably stay my best time for a while.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2020, 01:24:05 am »
I took a swing at Pink Hour and Pink Heaven on hard mode, and then decided life was too short for such idiocy. I must be getting old.

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2020, 09:31:45 pm »
i watched voiceofdog/thevoiceofdog play Hell recently

i realized i haven't ever really seen anyone attempt hell

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 09:08:31 pm »
I just realized Kero Blaster is cheap in this recent Humble Bundle. I just hope it controls better than Pink Hour/Heaven.

ETA: Looks like it's feasible to buy the lower tiers and then buy the Playsim bundle at https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/15374/PLAYISM_Summer_Bundle/ and save a little bit.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 01:48:20 am by Jorpho »