@Queue, I reformatted all text in the second draft so far. It now lines up exactly as it should appear in the game, and speakers are designated again. I used RANDIX and PURIMX for the boy and girl to account for the extra possible byte. I don't think there's a need to switch to the wide font after all. Even if we did, we'd still have to break some sentences up. In my entire run through, I only had to remove two words (a clarification that wasn't in the original script) to make things fit better.
Because the lines are in memory order, I'm not always sure which were spoken by the girl before you name her. The script has GIRL regardless. I guess we'll find out during playtesting if we have a gogogogogogogogogogogogo... situation on our hands.
One problem to solve is the prologue. I believe the original prologue has six text boxes (not counting "But time flows...). The retranslated prologue has fourteen, as some of the lines have been spaced our for dramatic effect. From a coding standpoint, I don't know what the easiest route is, but we could start out with a black screen, and then have the graphics come in at the correct point. We could also insert extra scenes into the prologue and/or change the timing. It has to line up perfectly to sync with the music with the flyover. When I played the first draft version, it was comical waiting for the text to finish, just running endlessly...
Another problem is the correct formatting of decisions, like (Yes No). How much space between the choices can be constant if everything fits on one line, but with the expanded translation, oftentimes, we need two. The way Google Sheets works, getting extra spaces to show up correctly is difficult.
Sometimes, both the Japanese script and Woolsey (more often in Woolsey) saved space by having a box with one word that starts multiple sentences. For example, there's one box with Salamando, and then other boxes with sentences that continue after that. In many cases, the original Japanese did not have this cutoff, but I don't think it will be an issue.
There are some lines that are unique to the Japanese script or Woolsey. Luckily, they seem to come after the previous lines, and are not randomly spaced in the list. This is also true for lines we're adding.
Also, when analyzing enemies/orbs for magic, Woolsey's version had this:
The Japanese simply has, "Responded to X's magic." Some workaround there will be needed.
Taosenai informed me that he was grading papers last week, and plans on resuming work this week.