News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Proper way to use BPS patches on N64 games?

Started by nintendo_nerd85, May 27, 2020, 11:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nintendo_nerd85

So, I wanted to try this ROM hack out for Ocarina of Time (version 1.0 USA) and I've had bad luck patching the BPS patches for it

Link here to said hack: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5138/

Well, I tried Beat and Floating IPS, nothing, both spew the message "this patch is not intended for this ROM". Why the read me doesn't mention what file to use, is beyond me. Are there utilities that actually patch N64 ROMs or am I out of luck?  :huh:

Jorpho

Quote from: nintendo_nerd85 on May 27, 2020, 11:11:30 PM
Why the read me doesn't mention what file to use, is beyond me.
That's why the hack page specifies the "File/ROM SHA-1" and the "File/ROM CRC32".  If your ROM is zipped, then your unzipping program should be able to display the CRC32 of each file in the zip.  (SHA-1 generally has to be calculated with a separate program.)  If your CRC32 does not match what is on the page, then you have the wrong ROM and should look for a different one.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devisut by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

nintendo_nerd85

Quote from: Jorpho on May 28, 2020, 12:15:51 AM
That's why the hack page specifies the "File/ROM SHA-1" and the "File/ROM CRC32".  If your ROM is zipped, then your unzipping program should be able to display the CRC32 of each file in the zip.  (SHA-1 generally has to be calculated with a separate program.)  If your CRC32 does not match what is on the page, then you have the wrong ROM and should look for a different one.

Yeah, okay, that was my bad, the ROM dump I have doesn't match the correct CRC32, SHA-1, etc and I'll need to figure out where to go from here. Sorry about that.