News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: SNES EDIT SOUND EFFECTS  (Read 543 times)

jvplouvem

• View Profile
SNES EDIT SOUND EFFECTS
« on: May 22, 2020, 03:02:21 pm »

329/5000
Hi guys, I want to modify the sound effects of the snes rom mk3, but I don't know how to start.

The steps I want to do are:
1) choose a character's sound.
2) convert a sound I want to snes
3) overwrite the sound

I found this tool, but i cant't do anything
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1248/

Can you help me ?

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: SNES EDIT SOUND EFFECTS
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 08:34:57 am »
I found this tool, but i cant't do anything
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1248/

Can you help me ?
You're getting it all wrong, you have to somehow with the existing sound engine of your game, you cannot use another sound engine.

Without telling which game you want to edit it's hard for us to help you.

Your steps will only work for games who record the sound effect and play it back as-it, which is certainly possible but rare on SNES as the memory inside the SPC700 is very limited. If you happen to just want to replace an existing sound which is simply pre-recorded and played back as-is you can easily change it using any of the BRR encoders available.

In many cases, SNES sound effects are created by synthesizing them from various sound sources such as sine/square waves, musical instruments, drums, etc... and changing notes quickly. How this is done depends on the game engine but basically it's the same as editing music.

jvplouvem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 12:16:09 pm »
thank you very much for the answers

"Without telling which game you want to edit it's hard for us to help you"
The game i want to modify is MK3

I will try to do it with, brr.
I really want to make mk3 more close to arcade since i was child in 1995

May 24, 2020, 04:06:18 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
You're getting it all wrong, you have to somehow with the existing sound engine of your game, you cannot use another sound engine.

Without telling which game you want to edit it's hard for us to help you.

Your steps will only work for games who record the sound effect and play it back as-it, which is certainly possible but rare on SNES as the memory inside the SPC700 is very limited. If you happen to just want to replace an existing sound which is simply pre-recorded and played back as-is you can easily change it using any of the BRR encoders available.

In many cases, SNES sound effects are created by synthesizing them from various sound sources such as sine/square waves, musical instruments, drums, etc... and changing notes quickly. How this is done depends on the game engine but basically it's the same as editing music.

Today i used brrtools, to transform .wav to .brr, but how i can put it into snes rom ?

I opened .brr on a hex editor and after locate the right place to put, i just copy and paste the new hex values.

But when i tested the game, the sound speed was wrong, but the .wav has an speed ok
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 04:06:18 pm by jvplouvem »

90s comeback

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:55:45 am »
thank you very much for the answers

"Without telling which game you want to edit it's hard for us to help you"
The game i want to modify is MK3

I will try to do it with, brr.
I really want to make mk3 more close to arcade since i was child in 1995

May 24, 2020, 04:06:18 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Today i used brrtools, to transform .wav to .brr, but how i can put it into snes rom ?

I opened .brr on a hex editor and after locate the right place to put, i just copy and paste the new hex values.

But when i tested the game, the sound speed was wrong, but the .wav has an speed ok
Excuse my ignorance, but i have to ask, i too want the snes games to sound more like the arcades, where can i learn how to find and replace sound effects using hex editor?, thanks.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 02:24:02 pm »
Excuse my ignorance
Have you read the other posts in this thread? Is there something you do not understand?

You generally don't use a hex editor for that sort of thing.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!