News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Question about "squishy tiles" and hex values  (Read 2797 times)

Iredc

• View Profile
    • FMA visual novels' translations
Question about "squishy tiles" and hex values
« on: May 21, 2020, 02:03:04 pm »
I'm trying to learn how to implement "squishy tiles" (that is, a tile with two letters drawn, instead of one). A major problem I've had thus far with rom translation is the lack of screen space to fit all the letters. Since VWF is too complicated for me, I thought I'd give this method a try. So, for example, I have a table like this:

82DD="
82A7=B
82E5="B

I'm using Windhex for this. If I input hex code 82E5, I get the correct tile, "B, in-game. However, if I try to input "B in text, I instead get hex code 82DD 82A7. And thus, I get two tiles in-game, instead of one.

Is there any way to convert text to hex using the combinations from the table? Or do I need to input it directly in hex, whenever I want to use a squishy tile?

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Question about "squishy tiles" and hex values
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 02:39:02 pm »
It sounds like Windhex is giving priority to " and B as individual characters over your "B combo entry.

I don't know how Windhex handles priority of conflicting values like this, but in my projects that used table files, whenever I had an ambiguous way to translate my text, I had the table file itself double as the priority.  IE:  items near the top of the file were used first, and items near the bottom were used last.

Maybe Windhex does something similar?  Try moving your 82E5 entry to be above/below the others.

EDIT:  If that doesn't work, you could force Windhex to use it by giving it some sort of special character to make it unambiguous.  Like...
Code: [Select]
82E5=@"B

As long as @ isn't used anywhere else in the table file, then when it comes across @"B there will only be one possible way for it to interpret that.

Iredc

• View Profile
    • FMA visual novels' translations
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 03:56:04 pm »
I tried moving the letter combos to the top of the table, but it didn't change anything. Windhex still gives priority to the single letters.
I also tried using a special symbol that doesn't appear anywhere else in the table, but in that case, Windhex didn't even let me type the symbol.

If you don't mind, which program did you use with your tables? I'm starting to suspect that Windhex simply doesn't allow letter combinations in tables.

Polinym

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 04:47:00 pm »
From my experience of using Windhex, I don't think there's any way to type letter comibnations like normal letters. However, pressing Tab switches between hex input and letter input. Try having the table open and training yourself to press Tab + <hex value> + Tab when you want to input a combination character. Eventually you've have it memorized via muscle memory. That's how I've always done my scripts.
"Where are you going, soldier? Get back to the battle!" - Some Battlefront Clone
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJqSB4xw29TTKlia5E0NYtQ