News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Hey chummers, Best version of Shadowrun for beginners?  (Read 1961 times)

SleepyFist

• View Profile
Hey chummers, Best version of Shadowrun for beginners?
« on: May 14, 2020, 08:17:04 pm »
I've recently been thinking of getting into the Shadowrun series and I'm wondering where the best starting point is.

I picked up the Genesis version at the bargain store, and while it's not terrible it is kinda jank, should I keep on this one and learn it, or pick up a different one to start with? The store does still have the SNES version too, and I was looking at maybe trying the newer ones on Steam too.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| Chicken Wings - Monikaze || https://youtu.be/11IKI36yDoo

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Hey chummers, Best version of Shadowrun for beginners?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 10:33:51 pm »
As I understand it, they're all very different games with their own charms, and I don't think any one of them will serve as a better "starting point" than the others.

It seems safe to say that you should probably avoid the 2007 FPS, but you'd probably have a hard time finding that even if you wanted to play it.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 05:01:03 am »
Thanks, I'll go ahead and keep playing the Sega version for awhile then, thanks for the advice on the FPS version too, because there was a copy of that back there too that I almost bought instead.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| Chicken Wings - Monikaze || https://youtu.be/11IKI36yDoo

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 02:57:28 pm »
For what it's worth, the Harebrained Schemes Shadowrun games are... not modeled after, but are definitely closer to the SNES version of the game than they are the Genesis version. They're 3/4 perspective like the SNES game, though they're tactical and not action/rpgs, and at least a few of the SNES characters make cameos in them. They're also pretty good and are probably closest to the original PnP model than any of the other titles.

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 03:21:44 am »
About the PC Harebrained Schemes games, you can also add the Unofficial Remake of Shadowrun SNES:

SNES Reboot Beta Version (Steam Workshop)

First don't let the word "Beta" fool you: the mod is complete and can be played from beginning to end. The only drawback of the SNES Reboot is that the memorable music composed by Marshall Parker is sadly not included in the mod, for obvious legal reasons.

Important: to play this mod you need to own "Shadowrun Dragonfall Director's Cut (it does not work on original Dragonfall, nor on Shadowrun Returns nor Hong Kong).

Also I can confirm the SNES Reboot -and all the awesome custom campaigns dedicated to the Shadowrun games on the Steam Workshop- work flawlessly on the GOG versions too. :)
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 03:30:35 pm »
About the PC Harebrained Schemes games, you can also add the Unofficial Remake of Shadowrun SNES:

SNES Reboot Beta Version (Steam Workshop)

First don't let the word "Beta" fool you: the mod is complete and can be played from beginning to end. The only drawback of the SNES Reboot is that the memorable music composed by Marshall Parker is sadly not included in the mod, for obvious legal reasons.

Important: to play this mod you need to own "Shadowrun Dragonfall Director's Cut (it does not work on original Dragonfall, nor on Shadowrun Returns nor Hong Kong).

Also I can confirm the SNES Reboot -and all the awesome custom campaigns dedicated to the Shadowrun games on the Steam Workshop- work flawlessly on the GOG versions too. :)

Ccol! I had no idea there was a remake of the SNES version, also the tactical RPG angle actually sounds a lot better than the jank real-time combat of the Genesis version.

I'm actually going to be vacationing away from my consoles for a little while so I'll most likely get Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall, plus the remake mod.

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 03:39:42 pm »
While the three PC Harebrained Schemes Shadowrun games are probably the best ones in the series overall, there's still a certain charm that the SNES and Genesis ones had as well. For example, the Genesis version does a better job of showcasing the life of a professional Shadowrunner. You're free to explore everywhere in a "sand box" type game world and take various jobs from the local Johnsons in the area while completing your own tasks to advance the story line. There's also numerous random encounters and scenes that take place which will require your input most of the time. The SNES version on the other hand focuses much more on the story line, but there's still a few optional side quests here and there. Overall, I would recommend that you give all five of these games a try if you have the time.

I'm interested in which one of the three PC titles everyone here liked the most? I personally preferred Dragonfall more than the other two. The story, side missions and characters were the best in my opinion. Returns was a bit too dark and gory at times for my taste and the last battle was kind of a drag. Hong Kong on the other hand was a bit odd plot wise and I didn't much like the characters in it either, but I won't give any spoilers as to the details why.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 10:35:54 pm »
And of course there's that Mega-CD game that no one got around to translating.

But it looks like Retroarch's machine translation is an option now?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VPyi8Ld1Cw
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 07:43:25 am »
...I'm interested in which one of the three PC titles everyone here liked the most? I personally preferred Dragonfall more than the other two. The story, side missions and characters were the best in my opinion. Returns was a bit too dark and gory at times for my taste and the last battle was kind of a drag. Hong Kong on the other hand was a bit odd plot wise and I didn't much like the characters in it either, but I won't give any spoilers as to the details why.

Shadowrun Returns

Playing Returns was like reading one of those good old FASA Novels, you know like 2XS written by Nigel Findley. The comparison is quite indicative when you realize
Spoiler:
that both Shadowrun Returns and 2XS tackle the same menace ultimately (I won’t spoil more ^^).

Being the first game also means Returns has the most antiquated combat mechanics, at least compared to Dragonfall and Hong Kong. 

Then you have the fact that Riggers (Drone users) are treated so badly roleplay-wise: they have the lowest Skillchecks, maybe 2 or 3 "Rigging" interactions during the whole playthrough. This issue has been fixed in Dragonfall and HK (it's fun to play a Rigger in those games). 

The real bummer in Return is that you don’t have a real Team to interact with you during the game, you can only hire soulless recruits for combat. This lowers the RPG experience significantly. Granted you can temporarily have in your Team
Spoiler:
Shannon Half-Sky and Harlequin, but only briefly.

Dragonfall

The new settings of Berlin was refreshing, it was a nice change from Seattle. The two things that struck me in Dragonfall were the solid Story and the unique Recruits:

Finally we have a full-fledged Team, each character having a strong personality and a solid background to account for it. Even more so in the remake Dragonfall Director’s Cut (the original Dragonfall in not on sale anymore). in the Director’s Cut each Recruits has a personal mission to tie loose ends, and you can assist them if you like.

Many gamers will tell this about Glory: She’s a fascinating character when you finally get to know her story. But trying to pump her for info might take some work. ^^

To sum up Dragonfall is quite a step up from Shadowrun Returns.

Hong Kong

Shadowrun Hong Kong has an even more exotic settings than Dragonfall, and it works really well. For instance all this Triad Stuff was cool: Kindly Cheng is one of those memorable NPCs I will never forget.

Just like Dragonfall, HK has a solid Story and great Recruits. I feel even Duncan is great (even though a few gamers disagree ^^). Duncan has a long history with you (the main character):

Spoiler:
He always leaned on you when he was a teenager because he had issues. Finally when you start HK and the sh** hits the fan you see Duncan fall apart. I felt this was good writing.

The only dud for me was Is0bel, she’s very cold. But in retrospect I understand why: when you finally understand what she came through you might have more consideration for her. Note that I criticized her personality not her skills: during combat (hello grenade launcher) or in the Matrix Is0bel is a friggin' beast.

In HK Combat, Skills, Weapons and Cyberware have been very much improved. Heck! You can even trigger Combat Mode (the Pistol Symbol on the higher right corner of the HUD) in non-combat zones. Very useful.

The only issue with HK is that dialogues take forever: NPCs talk and talk and talk. So if you want to do all the sidequest and want the best ending (they are 8 Endings in HK if I remember) then prepare yourselves for some heavy wall texts.

Despite the remark above I like HK too, its a very well done game in many ways.   

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 07:53:35 am by CrocMagnum »
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)