@8-bit fan, glad to have your interest and attention
Here's another quick little video with a second test: https://youtu.be/zuY9bBT7b_c
Wow! I registered (finally) with this site just to respond to your post.
I've been hex editing UE for years. I can't say for certain the ROM addresses posted on the internet were copied from my old posts on other forums and message boards, but I discovered what has been posted well over 10 years ago.
I would LOVE to know how you found the dialogue. I have searched endlessly. I know the simple text table which begins at 8A, but after a long while decided the dialogue (which I know is drawn from the text table) was compressed or encoded in some way beyond my meager skills. I even found several places where dialogue could be changed for another in the same board (allowing you to switch one NPC message for another). I have always had plans to edit the weapons (for instance), as well as the address which assigns "melee or projectile," etc but since the shop text doesn't simply pull from the text table, I could never change the weapon names in the shops, only in the inventory.
In short, YES I for one would love an editor. Good luck in your work.
If you like, I have saved all my notes are in this Google Drive folder
. I'm just not publicising it much because they are still my raw notes, i.e. a bit messy.
"Dialogue Hack.txt" probably has all the info you want. There is also a disassembly of the string unpacking routines in "String Routines.asm".
Text compression is actually achieved via a simple 6-bit packing algorithm, then the unpacked string is turned into nametable entries, plus a few special characters (e.g. $3F = end of string, $3E = newline, $30 = read uncompressed text from $(99), etc).
Note that I don't have any special skills either
this is my first NES hack.
To figure out the text compression I watched the nametable entries being written to RAM at $0580 when text was displayed; then I set write breakpoints to find the routine that was generating uncompressed data, and finally followed the traced backwards to see where it was reading it from.
Weapon names are in more than one place, both compressed and uncompressed, so it's a bit of a pain to find and change all of them.
Also, when you change anything you'd have to reallocate memory for your text and rebuild the pointers table (unless you only want to make text either smaller or the same size).
An editor of course can automate that, and mine can already do it in a fraction of a second