News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: A New Light  (Read 1793 times)

gzip

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
The Legend of Zelda: A New Light
« on: May 10, 2020, 12:21:18 am »
Hello ROM hacking community! I've released several versions of The Legend of Zelda: A New Light now and I'd like to use this thread for discussion and to ask for some help. Thanks to everyone who's helped me along the way so far. :beer:

I now have a much larger release that I'd like to get some testers on before submitting it to the site.

The release candidate is here. There's a list of major changes in the readme and a ton of smaller changes not listed.

I also have a few minor issues that I need help with:

• The palette is incorrect in some screens after coming back up from a stairway in a dungeon. Entering a dark room corrects the palette. It seems to be related to the Automap patch. Fixed!
  • There's some screen corruption in the bottom right corner after opening and closing the subscreen. Fixed!
  • There's some weird artifacting in a few dungeon rooms where the Lanmola tile flashes across the screen quickly. One example is the entrance room to level 4.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:31:30 pm by gzip »

pleasejust

• View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: A New Light
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 01:08:35 am »
Looks pretty good. Is there a way you could provide a separate patch for select to change b button item? Actually, what would be awesome is hold select and press left or right to go through the items forward/backward as if when in the items screen.

gzip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 01:18:47 am »
Is there a way you could provide a separate patch for select to change b button item?

Here's a separate patch for the current select item feature. The caveat is that it will not cycle if you have the letter and no boomerang.

what would be awesome is hold select and press left or right to go through the items forward/backward as if when in the items screen.

I've been considering something like this as well. It would be nice to be able to go in both directions. Will look into it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 09:15:16 pm by gzip »

pleasejust

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 09:52:14 pm »
What am I saying... I just realized if you were to hold select and press left or right, you can't move anyways, so select might as well pause the game. While paused you can select a B button weapon with left right. That works much better.

gzip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 02:14:01 am »
I've updated the beta above. Is anyone willing to help with testing?

May 20, 2020, 01:27:14 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
The palette is incorrect in some screens after coming back up from a stairway in a dungeon. Entering a dark room corrects the palette. It seems to be related to the Automap patch.

Finally tracked this down. I suspect it could be a problem with any hack using Automap. If others run into the same problem, the fix was to RTS early at $19D97 (caused a hang) NOP 3 bytes starting at $19D99 to avoid a write to $6C00, which is where the palette is read from. (In the Automap source the lines are under ClearAndReturn.)

Quote from: gzip
There's some screen corruption in the bottom right corner after opening and closing the subscreen.

This turned out to be the problem that Zelda Tech warns about for screen 0.

Quote from: gzip
There's some weird artifacting in a few dungeon rooms where the Lanmola tile flashes across the screen quickly. One example is the entrance room to level 4.

Haven't had any luck with this one.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 01:53:58 am by gzip »

erpster2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 01:46:06 am »
The latest beta is here

aww, too little too late for me to download the beta now as this link no longer works and says the bin had expired  :(

edit - I hope in the upcoming version or (v1.5 release), the next two dungeons (like levels 3 and 4) would be different from the original zelda 1 game.

gzip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 01:59:17 am »
aww, too little too late for me to download the beta now as this link no longer works and says the bin had expired  :(

I've been testing quite a bit myself and have fixed several issues. The link is now updated with the latest - I'll be releasing it shortly unless anything else pops up.

edit - I hope in the upcoming version or (v1.5 release), the next two dungeons (like levels 3 and 4) would be different from the original zelda 1 game.

Dungeons 1-6 are all new and in new locations. There are enough changes that I'm thinking it will be v2.0. Thanks for you interest!

erpster2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 07:34:21 pm »
thanks

hopefully you can also make new dungeons for the final 3 levels (aka. levels 7, 8 & 9)

this is a minor issue but the graphics for the "Zols" in levels 4 & 6 (and maybe 9) are different than the ones for levels 3 & 5 [and maybe others like 7 & 8 ].  maybe try to make the graphics for the Zols the same for all possible levels as I think they're stored in different rom locations of the game