News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Dragon Quest 4 & 8 Mobile Remasters (Mod)  (Read 3571 times)

mike9k1

• View Profile
Dragon Quest 4 & 8 Mobile Remasters (Mod)
« on: February 23, 2022, 07:01:35 pm »
Dragon Quest 8 Mobile Remaster- http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=34365.msg426869#msg426869

Dragon Quest 4 Mobile Remaster (below):

This is a WIP mod for the Android version of Dragon Quest 4. This is being released as an xdelta patch (just like a romhack) and requires an official copy purchased and downloaded from the Play Store. Anything else will not work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYlUnnV7m2U

A short video of the mod in action can be seen linked above. The build i'm linking (v0.0.1) is similar with a few small additions/adjustments. For those that are interested, instructions are below:

---------------------------------
v0.1.5: https://mega.nz/folder/nttUVSoR#9UdgKmFMup4pUJzApOOMOw
---------------------------------

Installation Instructions:

1. First, you must purchase "Dragon Quest 4" on the Google Play Store

2. Second, you'll need to be able to download the files for the game from Google Play in order to patch them. There are various ways to do this but I recommend Raccoon as it has a good reputation and that's what i've used successfully.

(Note: You can also download the game onto your phone as normal then use "APK Backup & Restore" to do the same thing if you don't have access to a PC)

a. Install Raccoon and once installed, enter the account info for the Google account you purchased Dragon Quest 4 under. It will ask if you want to use a dummy device for this -- this should be fine, just click "ok".

b. Next, search "Dragon Quest 4" in the top right of the window, select it and it should give you the option to download it.

c. Once downloaded, you'll get the option to "Show Files". It will open up a Windows Explorer window where the files are (should be somewhere under "Documents\Raccoon" by default)

3. Now you'll want a ROM patcher that supports the "xdelta" format. There are tons of these, but i'll just throw Delta Patcher out there.

a. Download the patch file & obb from the link above

b. In Delta Patcher, select the apk you got from Google Play under "original file:", and select the xdelta patch under "XDelta Patch:". Click "Apply Patch". When finished, it should say "Patch applied successfully" or the like.

c. Now do the same for the obb.

4. Now plug in your phone and copy the files over. I recommend placing the patched apk under "~\Downloads" for easy access and the obb will need to be placed under "~\Android\obb\com.square_enix.android_googleplay.dq4\" (<--- this folder will already exist if you've already installed Dragon Quest 4 on your phone)

a. Note: if you've already installed DQ4 on your phone, it will have to be uninstalled (sorry I really found no way around this, it won't install as an in-place update). This means your save files will need to be backed up or you will lose them. (Unfortunately, I believe they are also placed under /data, thus also requiring root to access. Why this was done? I have no idea)

b. Access your downloads and tap the apk. Most likely Android will tell you that it won't allow you to install from unknown sources, so you'll have to grant permission to your file manager app. After that, it will also tell you that this version is not supported by Google Play Protect -- again, you'll have to allow it

c. After that, open up the game and enjoy.

---------------------
(I tried to make this procedure as straightforward as possible  ---> let's just say I realize through this whole endeavor why there isn't a real Android modding scene. At least...outside of certain circles... I would love for this to change)
---------------------

Changelog (v0.1.2 - 0.1.5):
  • Improved overall speed and performance by about 35% (0.1.2)
  • Increased the reference resolution for the overworld tiles (field, ocean, etc) (0.1.2)
  • Increased the size of character portraits in battle (0.1.2)
  • Additional adjustments to overworld tiles (0.1.3 & 0.1.4)
  • Increased performance by an additional 5% (0.1.3)
  • Updated patch to work with the newest 1.1.2 Google Play update on 4/17/22 (0.1.5)
         --> BIG thank you to MrBreada#2001 on Discord for letting me know!

Goals (v0.1.6 and beyond):
  • Improvements to the UI, such as larger character portraits in battle, better use of screen real estate
  • Improvements to the controls, possibly some workaround like Octopus for bluetooth gamepad support
  • Add newer DQ amenities such as "Handy Heal All" and better item organization
  • (probably more i'm not thinking of)

Older releases & changelogs (hidden with spoiler tag to reduce clutter):
Spoiler:
v0.0.1: https://mega.nz/folder/ekthBSSY#i2ope60CpyRRU2h6zLiT8Q
v0.1.2: (Link removed to save hosting storage space)
v0.1.3: (Link removed to save hosting storage space)
v0.1.4: https://mega.nz/folder/qplC2JRJ#S0WBaQohocgedByQGJ2ctg

Changelog (v0.0.1):
  • Upscaled numerous textures and assets
  • Replaced synthesized music with orchestral tracks (the tool I developed for this is available on FF6 forum -- thanks much to those folks!)
  • Added some experimental font changes used for dialogue (may revert this depending on feedback)
          ---> the goal is to have the most readable/accessible font with good aesthetics and spacing, one that helps reduce reader fatigue with all the text in a long JRPG
  • Slightly adjusted UI icons for better aesthetics
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 07:42:36 am by mike9k1 »

mike9k1

• View Profile
Dragon Quest 8 Mobile Remaster (Mod)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 10:56:23 am »
        Dragon Quest 8 Mobile Remaster-

Much like the DQ4 remaster above, this mod makes a number of changes to DQ8's mobile version. Details will be listed in the changelog further below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCqN3pwUNxw

-------------------------------------
v0.0.9: https://mega.nz/folder/jk1kwSjA#TmG1qhUZQbbbss37kupi3A
-------------------------------------

Installation Instructions:

1. Purchase "Dragon Quest 8" on the Google Play Store (like the DQ4 remaster posted above, this mod will only work with a copy downloaded from the Play Store)

2. Download the files according to the instructions in the first post above.

3. Patch the apk (see instructions above)

4. Copy the patched apk and install. Copy both obb's to "~\Android\obb\com.square_enix.android_googleplay.dq8\"

-----------------------

Changelog (v0.0.7 - v0.0.9 ):
  • Upscaled textures from Pirate's Cove to Empycchu, Savella Cathedral to Purgatory Island (0.0.7)
  • Enabled the use of Sabrecat mount on island of Empycchu (0.0.7)
  • Buffed the Dream Blade, now has increased effectiveness against more enemy types (0.0.7)
  • Added the Double-edged Sword to the Tryan Gully weapon shop (0.0.7)
  • Added the Ruinous Shield to the item shop in Dark Empycchu (0.0.7)
  • Buffed the Double-edged Sword (0.0.7)
  • Buffed the Ruinous Shield (0.0.7)
         --> Both items are still cursed, making them very risky to use, but they now have at least situational utility.
  • Replaced the uber double-edge with a more unique design (0.0.7)
  • Added the Holy Moly Water to the item shop in Empycchu, and shady merchant in Argonia (0.0.7)
         --> AKA the "Super Holy Water", previously only available in JP as a New Year's bonus in the Dragon Quest Portal app. Repels all monsters for a very large range.
  • Added Double Bubble to the item shop in Savella Cathedral (0.0.7)
         --> Double bubble works identically to the way it does in the 3DS version (0.0.7)
  • Added Trodain Soldier Uniform to the item shop in West Trodain Church (0.0.7)
         --> This allows the main character to wear their "Trodain Guard" uniform, normally only seen in a few cutscenes
  • Added Orichalcum to the item shop at Desert Chapel (0.0.7)
  • Added Slime Crown to the item shop at Princess Minnie's Castle (0.0.7)
  • Added Gold Nugget to the item shop in Orkutsk (0.0.7)
  • Buffed Needle Shot and Needle Rain bow abilities (0.0.7)
         --> Both should now have some utility for hunting metal slimes (as they do in the 3DS version), slightly improved usefulness elsewhere
  • Upscaled textures from Tryan Gully and The Plateaus to the Black Citadel (0.0.8 )
  • Increased the likelihood of rare and ultra-rare drops (0.0.8 )
  • Slight buff to the Dragovian Sword & Dragovian King Sword -> more useful in postgame (0.0.8 )
  • Buffed the Golden Axe -> still not recommended, but now has situational utility (0.0.8 )
  • Fixed a bug with Yangus in the suspension bridge cutscene -- thanks to Devil#9291 on Discord for reporting the issue (0.0.8 )
  • Empycchu Bow added to the Empycchu item shop (0.0.8 )
         --> Mythril Helm available in Dark Empycchu
  • Added new optional equipment via new alchemy recipes (0.0.8 ):
    Metal King Greatsword = (Malleable Metal Blade) + (Heavy Sword) + (Rare Mineral)
    Soldier's Halberd = (Basic Axe) + (Basic Spear) + (Basic Ring)
    Soldier's Shield = (Strong Shield) + (Versatile Shield) + (Copper Weapon)
    Ultimate Shield = ("Best" shield) + (Large Shield) + (Rare Mineral)
  • Improved the balancing on Metal King Greatsword, Empycchu Bow, and Golden Axe (0.0.9)
  • Upscaled and interpolated ending prerendered cutscene & munchie cutscene (0.0.9)
  • Upscaled textures for Dragovian Path, Dragovian Sanctuary, Heavenly Dais, and Restored Trodain (0.0.9)
  • Upscaled Kaboom and Kasizzle spell effects (0.0.9)
  • Buffed Thanatos Shield, Skull Ring, Skull Helm, Demon Whip (0.0.9)
         --> All items are still cursed, making them very risky to use, but they now have situational utility.

Goals (v0.1.1 and beyond):

Older releases & changelogs (hidden with spoiler tag to reduce clutter):
Spoiler:
NOTE: Due to the large size of the mod, older versions will likely be removed from hosting to save storage space in the future. Feel free to download/re-upload any files from older versions if you would like to preserve them.

v0.0.1: https://mega.nz/folder/39lD3AwZ#RRRLsF99OWQBLYsvoQiz7w
v0.0.2: (Removed due to hosting storage limitations)
v0.0.3: (Removed due to hosting storage limitations)
v0.0.4: (Removed due to hosting storage limitations)
v0.0.5: (Removed due to hosting storage limitations)
v0.0.6: (Removed due to hosting storage limitations)

Changelog (v0.0.1):
  • Upscaled numerous textures and assets from Farebury to Port Prospect
  • Added several orchestral tracks (some less common tracks are still not yet replaced)
  • Upscaled and interpolated title screen and opening prerendered movie sequences
  • Increased framerate from 15 to 50 fps
  • Increased the overall pacing of the game
  • Added the ability to reallocate skill points at any time
  • Small UI changes such as a slightly improved overworld map, improved scaling on damage number displays in battle, etc
  • Increased font boldness to slightly improve readability

Changelog (v0.0.2 & 0.0.3):
  • Upscaled a small number of magic/spell effects (0.0.2)
  • Added the remaining orchestral music- soundtrack is now nearly entirely orchestral, aside from sfx/jingles (0.0.2)
  • Fixed the facial animations on the main characters (0.0.2)
  • Set the prologue cutscene to play in landscape mode (0.0.2)
  • Added upscaled textures for all areas from Peregrin Quay to Pickham (0.0.3)
[/list]

Changelog (0.0.4 - 0.0.6):
  • Upscaled textures for all areas from Red's House to Trodain and Sea Map (0.0.4)
  • Lowered the base encounter rate by 30% (improves pacing & encourages world exploration) (0.0.4)
  • Increase the range of Holy Water (255 steps to 650), Holy Protection (255 steps to 450), Padfoot (255 steps to 300), and Super Holy Water (255 steps to 1200 -- note that this mobile-exclusive item has not yet been added to shops but is planned) (0.0.4)
  • Adjusted how speed was increased by the game --> reimplemented set_TimeScale() in UnityEngine.CoreModule.dll (0.0.4)
          --> this fixed some minor camera quirks in battle (e.g. Slime Knight's "Jump Attack" now pans the camera all the way back to the character correctly)
  • Added LZMA compression to reduce size of added assets (0.0.4)
  • Upscaled textures from Seaview Church to Argonia (0.0.5)
  • Upscaled Bang and Sizzle spells (0.0.5)
  • Increased gold/exp gain from battles by 15% (helps offset lower encounter rate, not entirely but enough to improve pacing / reduce grinding without drastically altering gameplay) (0.0.5)
  • Increase enemy item drop rates by 30% (0.0.5)
  • Reduced cost of revival/treatment at church by 60% (deaths are much less punishing) (0.0.5)
  • Upscaled textures from Neos, Dark Ruins, Arcadia to Herb Grotto (0.0.6)
  • Upscaled Boom and Zap spells (0.0.6)
  • Added BG_037, Act 2 overworld theme (0.0.6)
          --> there are 2 overworld themes in DQ8, but they are very similar. The orchestral versions of BG_037 (i.e. Intl PS2 release) are identical to the Act 1 track whereas the midi versions (Intl mobile and 3DS releases) start at a different point. For this I re-mixed and re-arranged the 2005 orchestral track to start like the midi version. I may just replace this with the normal overworld track (like the Intl PS2 / JP 3DS version does) in a later release.
[/list]
[/list]
« Last Edit: Today at 03:55:55 am by mike9k1 »

gokajern

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest 4 & 8 Mobile Remasters (Mod)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 10:35:38 pm »
Looking forward to this project. Here I was thinking of finally playing DQ8 on my phone.

Dragoonglue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 06:38:08 pm »
This is a cool project. Would it be possible to add support for the Amazon Appstore versions?

mike9k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 11:56:17 pm »
This is a cool project. Would it be possible to add support for the Amazon Appstore versions?

Ah, I hadn't even thought of the Amazon version. Not quite sure how it differs, offhand.

If you want, you can contact me on the Dragon Quest Modding Community Discord and I may be able to work out a patch for it assuming you own this version.

Edit: Added a patch for the Amazon version to the link in the post above, under "amazon-version" subfolder. Thanks to Dragoonglue for their assistance.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 10:43:28 pm by mike9k1 »

mike9k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 04:55:45 pm »
Both DQ4MR and DQ8MR have received substantial updates from their initial release. I thought I would make a quick post to keep everyone abreast.

There was a bit of a "version jump" with DQ4 in particular. At this point, it is well ahead of where DQ8 is and it's in a fairly mature state overall.

After playtesting through the entire game ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ2r6Rhx_2c <-- spoiler warning ), I'm pretty satisfied with where DQ4MR is at. That doesn't mean there won't be more updates in the future, but I will likely prioritize other things for now.

In addition to continuing efforts on DQ8MR, I may very well move on to DQ5 or DQ6's mobile ports as well in the coming weeks. Stay tuned!

mike9k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 08:16:03 pm »
DQ8MR has received another couple updates (details above) -- over half the game has been upscaled and playtested now.

I've also been spending a lot of time looking into voiceovers. It appears there is some leftover code for playing them in the mobile port:

Code: [Select]
// Token: 0x06002107 RID: 8455 RVA: 0x001027D4 File Offset: 0x001009D4
public static void _EventBattleStep(dqCScene scene)
{
if (dq_ctrl_ext.IsRunEventBattle() && dq_ctrl_ext.GetEventBattleMonsterGroupID() == EV_BTL.EV_BTL_PORUKU && dq_menu.CmdEventInfo.btlcmd_select)
{
dq_battle.btlMainInfo.progress = 50;
dq_battle.btlMainInfo.event_mode = true;
dq_battle.btlMainInfo.menu_off = true;
CMessage message = scene.GetMessage(4);
if (message)
{
message.SetVoiceStreamFlag(true);
string mesFileBuff = message.GetMesFileBuff();
int mesFileSize = message.GetMesFileSize();
string buffMesIdPtr = CMessage.GetBuffMesIdPtr(mesFileBuff, mesFileSize, 100);
message.SetMesMakePtr(buffMesIdPtr);
string mesMakePtr = message.GetMesMakePtr();
message.MakeMesWin2(mesMakePtr, true);
BGM_INFO activeBgmInfo = scene.GetActiveBgmInfo();
if (activeBgmInfo != null)
{
activeBgmInfo.NowFadeBgmVol = 0.55f;
}
scene.FadeOutBGM(30);
dq_battle.btlMainInfo.stack_read.Clear();
CStrmManager strmManager = mloop.GetStrmManager();
strmManager.OpenStrm(eSTRMHDL_ID.STRM_HDL_ID_5, "02010060.mwv", false);
strmManager.PlayStrm(eSTRMHDL_ID.STRM_HDL_ID_5, 1f, -1);
}
}
}

^this is what's called when Bangers and Mash encounter the party upon entering Alexandria

However, I haven't been able to confirm whether this actually works. There are also other mwv-related classes/methods defined. Most of what i've seen implemented are battle-related, so they may have not gotten very far.

(mwv is Level 5's audio container, which they used in the PS2 port -- thankfully, it is documented and playable by vgmstream)

Obviously, VOs are a very big deal with DQ8, so getting those back are a high priority. I'd still like to start on DQ5 or DQ6 sometime soon (it would be a nice break from DQ8 when I get to it), but i'm not quite at that point yet.

mike9k1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 10:35:02 pm »
Just wanted to add a quick update -- DQ8MR has now reached v0.0.8, with the vast majority of the game playtested and upscaled now.

I've also received the help of additional playtesters cry#4716 (Dragoonglue), devil#9291, and kizuma_gaming#4802 on the DQ Modding Community Discord --> BIG thank you to them, I really appreciate their input.

For anyone else who'd like to try the mod out, the instructions are in the first post above.

I'd also like to thank playinful#9160, who's spent quite a bit of time modding the 3DS version of Dragon Quest 8. I hope my documentation helps their efforts as much as their documentation has helped mine.

There's also a new preview up (from v0.0.7's release), which I forgot to add here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWE0MnobrXU

Felipefpl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2022, 08:52:11 am »
I have a question: Do you intend to work on DQ 4 for NDS in the future or just the android version? I ask this because DQ 4 doesnt have a patch for the missing party system that exists in other systems.

Btw, kongratz on your work for mobile.  :thumbsup:
Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win7 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000

mike9k1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2022, 03:17:13 pm »
I have a question: Do you intend to work on DQ 4 for NDS in the future or just the android version? I ask this because DQ 4 doesnt have a patch for the missing party system that exists in other systems.

Btw, kongratz on your work for mobile.  :thumbsup:

Thanks a bunch! I'm pretty much just focused on mobile, tbh. The main reason I stick with that is because I feel that (1) mobile has a lot more potential when it comes to modding (i.e. it runs on Unity, the assets are easy to modify), (2) it's a "modern platform" in the sense that the game is still accessible and being sold on GPlay today, and (3) nobody else had tried to *legitimately mod the mobile versions until this point

(*well...outside of some sketchy Russian crack that does nothing but give the player infinite money and bundles a trojan into the apk)

That said, I know there at least a handful of folks who work on the DS versions.

If you're talking about the party chat, there is a patch by concreted -- the installation seems a little involved, but I can't imagine why someone couldn't make an xdelta patch of it to make it easier to install on a US copy.

Felipefpl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2022, 06:43:49 pm »
If you're talking about the party chat, there is a patch by concreted -- the installation seems a little involved, but I can't imagine why someone couldn't make an xdelta patch of it to make it easier to install on a US copy.

Thanks for the explanation about your work on mobile, i asked about DQ 4 for NDS exactly because of the work of concreted, no one made a patch of it because it's complicated, a lot. I wish it was something easier (i dont understand why concreted didnt make the patch).
Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win7 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000

mike9k1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2022, 09:58:54 pm »
Thanks for the explanation about your work on mobile, i asked about DQ 4 for NDS exactly because of the work of concreted, no one made a patch of it because it's complicated, a lot. I wish it was something easier (i dont understand why concreted didnt make the patch).

Yeah you might be able to find someone who can help you out on either the modding Discord (linked above), or Dragon Quest Abbey.

At DQ Abbey in particular, there's a user by the name of "Seb" who seems pretty intimately familiar with the installation procedure for that mod -- they may even be able to explain why an xdelta/ips was never made for the US version (using the re-packed JPN ROM from the final step as the "modified file").

Pamzkie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2022, 12:30:22 pm »
This is an awesome work..haven't played dq8 mobile for a long time,most people tells that it's an abandoned game from Devs,because of the lags and slowness..but when I bump into this mod..wow..this makes the game much awesome..graphics and frame rate was superb,tested on redmi note 11..hopefully this will continue to make others see how great this mod is..