News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: JP>EN translator with 0 technical knowledge  (Read 901 times)

luxperpetua

• View Profile
JP>EN translator with 0 technical knowledge
« on: May 04, 2020, 09:14:37 pm »
Hello everyone! I've been doing miscellaneous JP>EN fan translations since 2013, and I've been itching to take on a bigger project lately.

I noticed in the Help Wanted board that the rules specify a project must be in progress and have a certain amount of work done before advertising for help; unfortunately, since I'm just a translator and not a romhacker, I'm not able to extract scripts, which prevents me from making any progress on my own.

Would it be acceptable to post in the Help Wanted board to find someone with technical skills to start a project with? Or is there another place where that would be acceptable?

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: JP>EN translator with 0 technical knowledge
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 12:46:46 pm »
There are some tools to help translate games, though most of those usually get made off the back of English translations.

More translators are always welcome, I guess you can post on the board (the rule is mostly there to stop "hack this for me" requests and might as well be that requests) or maintain a list of games you found interesting if someone wants to hack them - when people are making a request for a ROM translation then they often.

While your use of language and punctuation is more than precise enough that I would be stunned if you were one of the "I know Japanese because I watched an anime and can transcribe the kana and maybe look up by radical for machine translation" types do be prepared to show you can hang. https://gbatemp.net/threads/densetsus-translation-toolbox.311523/ covers about the sorts of things people might expect, though helping out in the script help and language discussion part of the forum ( http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?board=9.0 ) will likely serve just as well -- 90% of the stuff there is "slang is hard, can I get a hand?" and if you can do that then hey.
At the same time you will want to be able to vet someone's hacking skills -- extraction is (usually*) easy, insertion is a rather different game. Should be easy enough to get them to have a line of gibberish, lorem ipsum or something else in there.

*give me a relative search, a few known encoding tables and a find all strings button in a hex editor or something and I will give you a crude script dump in 5 minutes each for a high percentage of games (getting higher the newer the system is). Such things are almost useless when it comes to getting it back into the ROM though.

I will also note there is a fun little game on the DS called Zombie Daisuki that is basically a text file (if a line is in shiftJIS then leave it in shiftJIS, if not then don't, and probably want to use the 08?? range of Roman characters for the shiftJIS stuff) that I don't think has been translated yet. Unpacking and repacking a DS ROM is no harder than unzipping and rezipping a file (just you want a tool like https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1214/ ) if you want something to toy with.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 01:26:36 pm »
Hello everyone! I've been doing miscellaneous JP>EN fan translations since 2013, and I've been itching to take on a bigger project lately.

Mind if I DM you? I have something in mind that's already been *mostly* translated, but what's there is really kinda rough and it needs a once-over. It's a fairly large project too.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 02:24:44 pm »
There are a whole bunch of projects in http://www.romhacking.net/abandoned/ that in theory only require good translation knowledge to finish.

(Someday there will be a Tomato Adventure translation, surely.)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations