News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Adding Characters  (Read 418 times)

Lee-CE-2001

• View Profile
Adding Characters
« on: May 04, 2020, 05:01:21 pm »
Hey People I'm new here You can call me Lee. The main game I want to hack is Mario 64 and anyone who has seen SM64 Hacks knows about Kaze (The Guy who made last impact) and one of the hacks he made was one called "Mario 64 3D World" Which is basically The original with 5 Playable Characters And Basically I would like to make that hack better by adding more characters (like Yoshi or Wario for example). Is There any guides Or advice For a major beginner like me to do a hack like that?

Thanks, Lee :)

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Adding Characters
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 12:23:31 pm »
Mario 64? If you are interested in play and adding that much to it then forget about hacking it. As of a few days ago we saw a nice port of the source code (which was regenerated a few months back for the N64 original) to PC.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/super-mario-64-pc-port-has-been-released.564235/

Use that instead. That only wants C programming which loads of people can, and certainly far more useful in day to day life (probably easier too) than learning enough about the N64 hardware to do that kind of hack.
Even if you want it on the N64 (not sure why but to each their own) I would probably still use the source code for the N64 decompilation and add it there.

Lee-CE-2001

• View Profile
Re: Adding Characters
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 02:08:09 pm »
That Actually does seem a bit easier than hacking the original Rom it wont hurt to give it a shot. Thanks for the info, downloading it now :)