News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: is it possible to fix Rockman Man 3 patches for Mega Man 3 roms?  (Read 2308 times)

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
I really love those sound patches in Rockman 3 stalker attack's file, although I kind of wish he made the Rockman 3 claw soundtrack a separate sound patch instead of the default one for Rockman 3 stalker attack and made the default Mega Man 3 soundtrack the default one. that being said oh, I do run into issues whenever I try to patch those files onto US Mega Man 3 files.

For a while, I thought the Revenge of gamma soundtrack patch made my own Ridley axe gamma hack obsolete, until I found out that that sound patch completely borked the Shadow Blade by removing its attack boxes. You can still play Mega Man 3 hack with the Wiz sound patches, but you will come across problems. I was wondering if there was a way to remedy those problems, because I really want to play Riley's 4th Mega Man 3 hack with the Rockman 3 burst chaser soundtrack because it goes so well with the stages in that hack. Plus, I kind of wanted to do an edit of that hack by smoothing out some of the more unfair elements of the hack.

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: is it possible to fix Rockman Man 3 patches for Mega Man 3 roms?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 08:25:50 am »
Yes, it is possible. (*)

Mostly you'd need to find the same code/data at a different offset and do the same alterations.

(*) When asking any romhacking-related "is it possible" question, the answer is almost always "yes".
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 08:49:23 am by Bregalad »

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 10:53:47 am »
Yes, it is possible. (*)

Mostly you'd need to find the same code/data at a different offset and do the same alterations.

(*) When asking any romhacking-related "is it possible" question, the answer is almost always "yes".

Unfortunately, I could never figure out hex editing, but I think I might be able to scrape by if I had a couple of guides to work with.

Ice Man

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 03:43:40 am »
Hex editing requires you to know the 6502 (or any other language, depending what you're editing) mnemomics and their hex values.

Some nice information can be found here:
http://www.6502.org/tutorials/6502opcodes.html