News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: First time using a GCN hack, need a little help  (Read 500 times)

VHAOB

• View Profile
First time using a GCN hack, need a little help
« on: May 01, 2020, 08:04:53 pm »
Nice to meet you all.

While I am not a first time ROM hacker per se (played a lot of SNES and Genesis hacks in my time), I've never attempted to play a GameCube hack before now. Since I am obviously a noob at this, I'm gonna need some help to patch my first hack. I tried looking around everywhere for help, but I'm not able to find any helpful answers.

I am attempting to patch Super Luigi Sunshine (https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4878/) into a clean SMS ISO. I've used both xdeltaUI and Delta Patcher, but I keep coming up with the following error:
Code: [Select]
xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT
I am not sure what to do here. Nothing I do seems to work. Some of what I've seen says that I must use the exact same ISO file that was used when the patch was created. The problem is, the creator does not provide the original ISO file. Is there something I am missing, or do I simply have to ask the creator for the original file?

Thanks all in advance.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: First time using a GCN hack, need a little help
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 02:01:01 pm »
Some of what I've seen says that I must use the exact same ISO file that was used when the patch was created. The problem is, the creator does not provide the original ISO file.

On the contrary, the hack page provides the CRC, MD5, and SHA1 for the ISO file.  These are called "checksums", and you can calculate the checksum for your .iso file to verify that it is correct.

If you have your ISO in a .zip file, then most archiving programs will provide an option to display the CRC32 for files in the .zip.  Otherwise there are many programs for calculating checksums.  I like http://blisstonia.com/software/WinMD5/ .

To be clear, you really only need to verify one of the checksums.  It is possible for two files to have the same CRC but a different MD5 - but it is very, very, very improbable.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

VHAOB

• View Profile
Re: First time using a GCN hack, need a little help
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 02:20:40 pm »
On the contrary, the hack page provides the CRC, MD5, and SHA1 for the ISO file.  These are called "checksums", and you can calculate the checksum for your .iso file to verify that it is correct.

If you have your ISO in a .zip file, then most archiving programs will provide an option to display the CRC32 for files in the .zip.  Otherwise there are many programs for calculating checksums.  I like http://blisstonia.com/software/WinMD5/ .

To be clear, you really only need to verify one of the checksums.  It is possible for two files to have the same CRC but a different MD5 - but it is very, very, very improbable.

My bad, I now see what I have to do. Thanks for pointing that out.

Unfortunately, the odds weren't in my favor. I opened WinRAR to see that I indeed have the same CRC32, but a different MD5. The one that I pulled is:
Code: [Select]
17e31424978cf85c558d66c445ea227e
Oddly, the page I acquired the ISO from shows the correct CRC, hash and SHA1. It is only when I extract the file that the hash (and, incidentally, the SHA1) for the ISO changes. Would this be a problem stemming from WinRAR unpacking it?

EDIT: I have resolved the problem. It seems the ISO had been compressed using NKit. I simply reverted it back to its original form and everything is in tact. Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 03:14:11 pm by VHAOB »