@goldenband Thanks a lot! All the encouraging messages in the thread really mean a lot
As far as continuing on with GameBoy hacking, I am not ruling anything out at this point since I am having a lot of fun. But I also managed to progress on this game based on a lot of years of picking it apart bit by bit, so I am not sure how much transferable knowledge I actually am amassing
Anyway, some more updates!
Since last time, I have still been mainly occupied by the UI modifications. As the game starts with you having to use most of it pretty quickly (the game starts by asking you to use your inventory, and then there is a story battle), it makes it important to get right from the get go.
The issue I mentioned in a previous post with windows not clearing their area of the screen when their dimensions had been changed, is now fixed! I figured that the code somehow checks the original data instead of the re-pointed one at some point, so the current fix is to also update the original location of the window. If someone is interested I can describe a bit more what the current modifications entails, but suffice to say that I just redirect the data reads to empty banks to have more room, and do not try to reuse the space of the original data for now.
I also had to trial-and-error my way through a few weird sorting issues (the dialog window would display behind sprites for some reason), but I can manually fix those on a case by case basis, so it is not too bad. Finally, the combat UI is almost usable now, and I need to make a second pass on the text because the game crashes in very specific circumstances. I think it happens when it tries to load some text that is not translated yet, so I will check that out. In the meantime, here are some more shots of the UI, as well as the original menu for comparison (hopefully soon I can switch back to the script for a while ^^).
Thanks everyone for your kind words and interest!
May 12, 2020, 05:45:08 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Small status update :
While this does not look much different from the previous batch of shots, this amounted to quite a bit of work. The long-form enemy names are now translatable, and can use the current maximum length of 8 characters thanks to good ol' repointing.
The plan is to check what the longest translation would be before seeing what needs to change on the UI windows front.
The combat system is proving to be the trickiest bit yet, as depending on the context the game seems to load the enemy names differently. During the resolution of combat turns for instance, it seems to pull shorter names from somewhere I still need to find. Hopefully the next two things I know can be tricky (the spell names and the various items) are less spread out...
I will report back soon, I hope with some news about the combat system working perfectly