News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Rally-X NES edition (b.b.car hack)  (Read 4457 times)

verme

• View Profile
Rally-X NES edition (b.b.car hack)
« on: April 20, 2020, 11:00:59 am »
Hello, here is my second attempt at romhacking: Rally-X for the NES (b.b.car).
I managed to change the graphics and colors, I tried to place the color palette as close as possible to the arcade version of New Rally-X.
Some adjustments are still missing, I plan to publish soon.
I would like to hear your opinion / criticism.
Thanks!

Ray572

• View Profile
Re: Rally-X NES edition (b.b.car hack)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 02:58:01 am »
How cool it looks, I was looking forward to someone doing this. Thanks and waiting for the patch. :beer:

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 01:20:45 pm »
I love the arcade classic, lookin' forward to this when it's done. :D

Morinis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 01:25:43 pm »
Loved playing this due to that damn theme song being extremely catchy :P
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK5S3RZCjv0O6FmXlSgmHXg

"If you get offended by my honesty then re-evaluate your hobbies on here."

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 04:29:23 pm »
I Love The Idea Of You Changing Mi Hun Che Into Either Rally-X Or New Rally-X!  ;)

Suggestion: Make The Squares On The Map Smaller So That It'll Look More Like The Arcade Version?

verme

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 02:56:43 pm »
SuperStarFox is right, smaller squares really got better on the map, and closer to the arcade version.
I'm trying to improve the HUD, but my skills are limited.

Observe this new screenshot, black background and fuel meter with divisions ...
I chose to leave orange, because the color of the letters is shared with the color of the track, so all elements of the HUD would be the same color to be different from the map elements.
I'm still not sure if I use a black background for the HUD.

Morinis: Unfortunately I can't change the game's music or the layout of the levels, but this hack can be the starting point for another one.

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 11:10:53 pm »
verme, You're Doing Great With This Project So Far... And Also, The Black Background Looks Nice Since It Reminds Me Of The Arcade Version Because Of How It Looked Back When The Official Game Was Released By Namco!  ;)

Another Suggestion: The Rock Doesn't Look Anything Like The One From The Arcade Version, But In The Meantime... You Can Use The Rock From The NES Version Of Dig Dug.

BTW, Have A Cookie... You Earned It!  :cookie:

verme

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 02:31:38 pm »
Finally released!
I hope you all like it!
I especially thank SuperStarFox for the suggestions. His ideas were implemented and made the hack much better!
Oh, and thanks for the cookie! :thumbsup:

Ray572

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 12:29:57 pm »
To be an improvement it was quite good, surely later on the sound could be improved to make it more similar to the arcade version.
Thank you :beer:

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 09:46:58 pm »
Hey verme... I have some ideas for V1.1!  :)

1. Add a lucky flag (The Lucky Flag is actually the 10th flag according to tile layer pro)!

2. Change the wall color in the first level to either color palette 15 or 25 since they resemble the arcade version!

3. Change the Bushes (wall background) to something different like dots for now.

4. I know some guys who can actually change the music... Ti_ & Gigasoft are the ones who might be able to improve the music and change them. Some youtubers name retrokid knuckles and 7Winman star7 can also try to improve the music like what they did to Super Mario World on the nes. Maybe you can ask them to help you out on the audio...

verme

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 10:44:37 am »
Hi bro, how are you, okay?
well ... come on the questions.

1 - I already tried to add the lucky flag, but it is not a fixed flag, like the special flag. The lucky flag is always the tenth flag collected, no matter what the flag is.

2 - changing the color is as suggested, I haven't checked it yet, but it's what I could do at the moment, but I don't know if that alone is worth an upgrade to 1.1.

3 - the wall background graphic is just an 8x8 tile, which I made based on one of the graphics from the original game. but if you have any suggestions, I'll be happy to review.

4 - Changing the songs, I believe it would be the best improvement for this game, but that unfortunately is out of my reach in terms of technical knowledge, and free time to acquire all that knowledge.
But, if, as you mentioned, someone can contribute to the songs, and also, someone can instruct me how to insert these new songs into the game, I would be ready to put this to work.

In addition to these changes mentioned, I believe that this game could be improved a lot, such as changing the layout of the levels, fixing the map bug, separating the map color palette from the rest of the hud (as in the first mi hun che) , standardizing the function of smoking to act as in the first level in all levels, and maybe other things that I didn't remember at the moment.
Some of these improvements, I believe, are not that difficult to make, for a more experienced hacker.

Everything I did in this game, anyone can freely use as a basis for an even better hack.

verme

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 09:34:29 am »
Hello!

I made some more improvements to my hack. Are they:
- New title screen
- Changed some palettes
- Redesigned stone and smoke
- New custom tile designed for the wall background
- Changed the car sprite to the New Rally-X
- Changed the font of the numbers, using that of the original game
- Fixed some small color-related bugs
- Disabled music
(I disabled the music, changed the sound channels to mute, so I managed to keep the sound of the smoke emission and when it catches a flag, but it was left without the sound of the collision)

I would like to do a lot more, but I would need help with that.

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 08:26:30 pm »
Woah... verme! This looks way more better than my suggestions. Not only have you managed to update the title screen, the palettes, and some of the designs but you also made this game look even more like New Rally-X! You did an even better job than ever!  :thumbsup:

This game would be even more better if you were able to fix the background scroll renderer (example: That strange looking orange border on the left side of the screenshot/game screen). It may be possible or not but whatever... anyways, hope to play the new update soon and here's another fresh cookie on the house.  :cookie:

verme

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2020, 07:16:53 pm »

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 02:22:01 am »
I finally played the update... I really love how all the sprites are updated to the ones from New Rally-X! I also like the updates on the wall background, the rocks and the smoke screen, those new color palettes, and furthermore. You did a great job verme, by the way, it was a good thing you disabled the audio since it didn't sound very fitting in a game that's similar to Pac-Man.  :laugh:

herno

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2020, 11:57:52 pm »
Really REALLY like this hack.  However, someone out there ought to be able to put the music to the original game into the hack.  To make it as perfect as possible!  Who could take on a task such as this?

verme

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2020, 02:39:49 pm »
Hello guys, thanks for the support!

I found on youtube a guy who composed the theme using Famitracker! I asked him if he would like his work to be part of my hack, but I still haven't gotten an answer.
Anyway, I would need help hacking the game to use the music.
There is the video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QSORHyyGDU

Another thing: I've been doing some tests with the MiHunChe rom, and apparently it's a lot better than BBCar, in the sense of having fewer bugs, the HUD and the map don't share the same color palette as the gameplay space, the that would result in an even better hack. However, when I change the graphics, the game crashes after pressing start on the title screen (I'm not sure but maybe it is a type of protection of the game against modification) The game still works in demo mode, when I press start, the game starts normally, it just crashes if you press start on the title screen. Could someone more experienced help me with this problem?

marioxb

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2020, 06:41:16 pm »
Hey, do a good enough job on this and maybe it will be added to Namco Museum Archives Vol 3, if they make one (much like Pac-Man CE NES Edition and possibly Gaplus NES edition).

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2020, 11:31:07 pm »
(To verme): I think the game has something to do with how the game was dumped online.  :-\

However, I managed to find one that doesn't have any glitched stuff in the game screen or whatever you were explaining about. But techinally, the one I found is different. The title screen only shows five pink cars and the title itself, it may not have any copyright text but it is Mi Hun Che after checking it out and doing a ton of searching.   :thumbsup:

As for the music, the only people I only know that were able to hack NES Music are... it may not be enough at the moment, but it's worth a shot.  :huh:

Ti_
Gigasoft
real retro kid knuckles

verme

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2020, 09:19:13 am »
Yeah, I have all versions of MiHunChe, including the one you mentioned, I tried to modify this one too, in fact I tried it with all that run on FCEUX, but they all have the same problem.

And about music, we still have to wait if the guy will agree to contribute to the project ...