News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Locating gender symbols in GBC Rom text (Dragon Warrior Monsters)  (Read 1217 times)

nejimakipiyo

• View Profile
    • Demon Passion
I've been working on a fairly conservative retranslation for Dragon Warrior Monsters, just using WindHex, and I was wondering if anybody could help me figure out the bytes corresponding to the gender symbols, or at least point me in the right direction for a utility to do so?

Here is the line in English that I want to change.

And here is the line in Japanese, which I want my new version to resemble.

I can do without the arrows if necessary, but I know that the gender symbols exist in the game and they're specifically important to this line of text so I want to restore them.

Malias

• View Profile
Re: Locating gender symbols in GBC Rom text (Dragon Warrior Monsters)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 06:20:43 pm »
Here are a few things you can do to find what you're looking for:
  • Find somewhere in the game's script where the symbols are used.
  • Open the ROM in a graphics editor and look for the font. Usually, the relative position of the characters corresponds to the character values in the ROM.
  • Replace characters in the script with different values and see what shows up on screen.
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

nejimakipiyo

• View Profile
    • Demon Passion
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 10:20:38 pm »
Malias, thank you! Is there a specific graphics editor you would recommend? I am very new to this and haven't the first clue what utilities are good to use, or even what I'm looking for.

Malias

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 11:45:51 pm »
For game boy games, honestly any graphics editor will do.  I personally recommend yy-chr though for general purpose graphics editing.
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

Risae

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 04:14:45 am »
Malias, thank you! Is there a specific graphics editor you would recommend? I am very new to this and haven't the first clue what utilities are good to use, or even what I'm looking for.

You are probably in search of a Tile Editor, i recommend "Tile Molester Mod":

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/991/

nejimakipiyo

• View Profile
    • Demon Passion
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 03:49:33 pm »
Thanks to both of you! I used YY-chr, and it was my first time using the program. Pretty cool stuff. A pal helped me locate the symbols and I was able to make the changes I wanted.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 08:56:44 pm »
While being able to track down symbols is a fine skill to be learning
"but I know that the gender symbols exist in the game and they're specifically important to this line of text"
I do have to wonder there, or more that I am flashing back to various language lessons, comments from authors sitting in on language lessons discussing their works, and a favourite joke https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhGSYvub9R4 (slightly NSFW there).

I then wonder if some bored programmer/script writer sat there decades ago and had to do the equivalent of mashing on the keyboard (but with a limited character set) decided to do that, or is there context in the game?

nejimakipiyo

• View Profile
    • Demon Passion
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 12:51:09 pm »
I understand that this line of dialogue (if it can even be called dialogue) may read as nonsense to someone who hasn't played Dragon Warrior Monsters... which is, quite honestly, mostly true.

However, the gender symbols are the only part of this that makes sense in the context - and the singing in the line above, I guess. The green sprite you can kind of see between all of these text windows is a bard who sings a song that can change the gender of any monster egg you have. So there is some meaning in the chaos.  :D :laugh: