Hello, this is my first proper series of text hacks / relocalizations, so what does this project entail? It's an overall project to relocalize Mega Man X within it's currently existing ROM size. Since Mega Man X2 and Mega Man X3 already have existing relocalizations done by Thriteen 1335 and co. for Mega Man X2 and Solid One for Mega Man X3. In the case of Mega Man X2 any changes in regards to that will just be a fork of the current patch V1.4, since I believe further updates will be using a VWF by DarkSamus993... which if it's like Her-Saki's Rockman X translation would increase the ROM size, someone can correct me if I'm wrong. The reason behind wanting to keep the current ROM size is that this will also ultimately be a patch for the Mega Man X Legacy Collection as well, which needs Mega Man X1-3 to be the same as their original ROM sizes. This is also being done as a sort of practice before I tackle the Mega Man Zero series for the Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection, and maybe do my own series of relocalization hacks there too, I'm not sure yet.
There will be two main variations of this patch and it's in regards to the series' terminology which for simplicity purposes will just be referred as the Maverick
versions. The Maverick version will stay consistent with the series existing naming terminology so there won't be any changes in that department. The Irregular version will be more in line with the Japanese naming terminology so Maverick = Irregular, Reploid = Repliroid, etc. For the purposes of this project, I'll be basing them on both NectarHime and Hondoori Game Center's translations.FeaturesOverall Changes
- Relocalize the script for Mega Man X
- Make addendum's to the Mega Man X2 and Mega Man X3 relocalizations to adhere to a consistent manner.
- Implement coloration for character text similar to Her-Saki's Rockman X translation.
- Revert name changes from Thirteen 1335's Mega Man X2 relocalization, thus Sageese = Serges and Counter Hunters = X-Hunters. This is mainly for consistency sake for the Mega Man X Legacy Collection.
- MMXLC Only: Have a patch for Thirteen 1335's X2 relocalization, without any changes.
- Change all terminology to match the Japanese ones.
- Make the boss names the same as their Japanese counterparts. // EX: Flame Mammoth = Burnin' Noumander
- Separate patch to change Mega Man X to Rockman X and Dr. Light to Dr. Right.
Since there's going to be various patches to fit someone needs I'm going to try to set up a form of patcher along side the base patches for customization purposes of trying to match everyone's sensibilities. Which will feature the over all changes mentioned above along with DarkSamus995's title screen patches and perhaps other oddities. This is primarily for the Mega Man X Legacy Collection since there are separate patches included with the ROM relocalization / relocalization addendum hacks.Mega Man X Relocalization Spreadsheet
The following contains a spreadsheet with the original USA script, my current relocalization script, NectarHime's retranslation script, and Hondoori's literal translation script. These have all been put there for input on what should end up in the relocalization. With all that said... here it is:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tPjDHgfAFewXuIosZLWAqT7pFoWQPolvIZcBmcdS2q4Mega Man X2 Relocalization Addendum ChangesAll Patches
- Minor script changes to allow for consistency between both patches.
- In dialog Dr. Light and Dr. Cain are labeled as "LIGHT" and "CAIN" instead of "DR.LIGHT" and "DR.CAIN" for simplicity's sake and to allow for more room in the script overall for changes.
- Consistent character text colors for the most part. Due to palette issues though Agile, Serges, and Violen's dialog are the default blue outside of cutscenes. Otherwise everything else is consistent.
- Changes Sageese back to Serges and Counter Hunters back to X-Hunters.
Mega Man X3 Relocalization Addendum ChangesAll Patches
- Changes "Maverick" and "Reploid" to "Irregular" and "Repliroid" respectively.
- Script changes to allow for consistency between both patches.
- In dialog Dr. Doppler, Dr. Light and Dr. Cain are labeled as "DOPPLER", "LIGHT" and "CAIN" instead of "DR. DOPPLER" "DR. LIGHT" and "DR. CAIN" for simplicity's sake and to allow for more room in the script overall for changes.
- Consistent character text colors... at least for the THREE whole consistent text palettes Mega Man X3 has...
ScreenshotsMega Man X Mega Man X2 Mega Man X3 Mega Man X Legacy CollectionConclusion
- Maverick = Irregular, Reploid = Repliroid, Bit = Vajarila FF (V.FF), Byte = Mandarela BB (M.BB), Dopple Town = Doppel Town, and Vile = VAVA
I'm hoping this project will aim to be a fairly enjoyable project not for just those in the ROM hacking community but those who are fans of the Mega Man X Legacy Collection on PC as well and have been hoping for mods for the overall collection (not that it's going to improve input latency in MMXLC... har har har...).DownloadsMega Man X Relocalization (v3.0): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xGm-5QVWTYBruwJzl3lJO6Zx1HmN9L9GMega Man X2 Relocalization Addendum (v3.0): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e-ozp11Vpyw8KXMENICH0q-DP5LW4JIkMega Man X3 Relocalization Addendum (v3.0): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E9sNJ-SJnbPWGXSHxHHBRv-xlLILox5BMega Man X Legacy Collection Relocalization Patcher (v1.7): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L09941zEgwukhv1vu4Y28vNlLnw5DXJACreditsThirteen 1355:
Their work on the Mega Man X2 Relocalization had inspired me to work on similar projects for other Mega Man titles that haven't had any work done yet.Solid One:
Their work on the Mega Man X3 Relocalization.Metalwario64:
Their updated Mega Man X title sprites along with sprite fixes to X's Second Armor in X2 regarding charging and buster sprites.DarkSamus995:
Their work with Thirteen 1335 and porting in Metalwario64's title sprites and Rockman X1~3 boss name porting and for the Rockman X1~3 title logos.Hondoori Game Center:
Their work translating the original Rockman X1-6 scripts to English is definitely something to admire and part of the basis for this project.NectarHime:
Their work localizing Hondoori Game Center's translation into something closer to western sensibilities is also a big inspiration for this project and the main basis for the work done here.