News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: So I've made some hacks.. rules for uploading?  (Read 845 times)

day2data

• View Profile
So I've made some hacks.. rules for uploading?
« on: April 08, 2020, 02:26:10 pm »
I've made some simple hacks for Final Fantasy using the Hackster utility.
The questions I have are related to "release worthy" hacks...

1. If the hack is a simple hack that anybody could make with a utility, is it worthy of release?
2. At what point does a hack become a cheat?
3. Is it more viable to release one large hack with all of the changes, or a series of smaller hacks that can be added together to create an individualized hack?
4. If a hack was made for a randomizer experience (Deep Dungeon), is it worthy to be released?
5. If releasing a hack that requires a bugfix, should I include the bugfix as a separate patch, or include the bugfix with the hack in a single patch?

I have made simple hacks that undoubtedly make the game easier:
1. Hit% - increases the hit% of basic weapons by 10%, fine weapons by 5%, and staves with 0% now have 15%.
(a very simple hack. Is it worthy of release?)

2. UndeadStunLess - decreases the hit% of most undead type enemies.
(a very simple hack. Is it worthy of release?)

3. UndeadDontStun - removes stun element from most undead enemies.
(It's a cheat. Paralock is sooo 19XX. could it be released with other hacks?)

I've made hacks with "Deep Dungeon" in mind:
4. DDMagic - Spells were reworked for an easier dungeon. HARM is now HOLY; In battle, holy damages undead, out-of-battle Holy has effects ranging from PURE to LIF2. WARP is available much sooner. "All class" spells have been added: DEF(was FOG), and SMAK(cures sleep and paralysis). Black Belt and Martial Master have some special spells to learn as well.
(Made for Deep Dungeon, but could be used in traditional game, either way making the game easier.. is it a cheat? worthy of release? If it requires a bugfix, should I patch them together or separately?)

5. TownsExpressed - Straight lines to run through towns faster.
(Made for Deep Dungeon, but could be used in traditional game. Nothing too crazy, just does what it says.)

I've made hacks that give more weapon/armor options to classes, essentially making the game easier.
6. Equippables - Makes a lot of equipment available to more classes. Too many to list.
(They are all separated into different patches for each class; should I combine them?)

And I've made hacks that require Bugfixes. Bugfixes were found in the Documentation section, released by Anomie.
7. WeaponEnemyTypes - Gives weapons more "hurt categories," making them stronger against certain types of enemies.
(requires bugfixes: "weapon-data-bugs" and "enemy-attack-bugs")

8. WeaponSpells - Some more weapons cast spells.
(requires bugfix: "magic-bugs.2")

The questions at the top are the real meat, the hack descriptions are for more precise descriptions with their related questions attached.
Thanks in advance for any time spent answering this ramble.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: So I've made some hacks.. rules for uploading?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 09:02:17 pm »
Pending word from staff then I would generally go with

1. Going to need more info. A 30 second tweak might still count as something. A few hours of effort is a different matter entirely and almost certainly will be good.
2. Usually when it is a RAM cheat or simply rendered from one. If it is "patched in" then there is some leeway if it is more of a functional cheat rather than infinite lives or something basic. Nothing stopping you from including the cheat in a readme/release notes.
3. Dealer's choice. We have had selection packs in the past that work quite well to give people the experience they want, or just individual aspects.
4. It would probably fall under the banner of addendum patch and watch to be done on top of the randomiser (that is to say the would be end user gets to download the randomiser patch and then your patch and apply both).
5. If it is your bugfix then play it as you will (again someone might want the separate patch). If it is not your bugfix and the original author did not OK it then either include the whole original bugfix download or link to it.

Rebalance hacks are nothing new, and what might be apparently simple numbers to describe can have a profound effect upon the game. As an individual hack then without seeing its effects that is riding the line.

4. in the later list sounds fine for a standalone. Covered the others already. The town tweak thing might be a bit too close to "only for speedruns" unless it is truly awful layout but as part of pack would probably be fine.

Generally most of the rules are there to keep things civil with other hackers, and to avoid having to include a million "I changed the starter" pokemon hacks. Make an effort to consider gameplay properly and change it for the better (whatever that might entail for you -- easy, hard, less grind, more grind...) and that changes a lot of minds.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 01:51:59 pm »
I suppose my question would be: do you think it's likely someone else might want these changes?  And if someone did, do you think they would look up a patch, or do it themselves?

But I guess there might be people out there who are playing Final Fantasy for the millionth time who are happy to try new things to spice it up.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 02:28:29 pm »
what might be apparently simple numbers to describe can have a profound effect upon the game.
So true. It is not clear cut to me. For platforms that readily support cheat codes or Game Genie, it seems less worthwhile to make a patch to change basic properties, such as lives, health, etc.

On the other hand, I recently wanted a simple lives counter increase on a TurboGrafx 16 game, which is not even listed in the database here. I had to spend a couple hours learning a new emulator and debugging a foreign architecture for a very simple hack that I would gladly have downloaded, and now would gladly upload for others.

Perhaps there could be a place for "simple" hacks, such as in the Hacking Notes section of a game?

dumbaxel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 05:17:59 pm »
Pending word from staff then I would generally go with

1. Going to need more info. A 30 second tweak might still count as something. A few hours of effort is a different matter entirely and almost certainly will be good.
2. Usually when it is a RAM cheat or simply rendered from one. If it is "patched in" then there is some leeway if it is more of a functional cheat rather than infinite lives or something basic. Nothing stopping you from including the cheat in a readme/release notes.
3. Dealer's choice. We have had selection packs in the past that work quite well to give people the experience they want, or just individual aspects.
4. It would probably fall under the banner of addendum patch and watch to be done on top of the randomiser (that is to say the would be end user gets to download the randomiser patch and then your patch and apply both).
5. If it is your bugfix then play it as you will (again someone might want the separate patch). If it is not your bugfix and the original author did not OK it then either include the whole original bugfix download or link to it.

Rebalance hacks are nothing new, and what might be apparently simple numbers to describe can have a profound effect upon the game. As an individual hack then without seeing its effects that is riding the line.

4. in the later list sounds fine for a standalone. Covered the others already. The town tweak thing might be a bit too close to "only for speedruns" unless it is truly awful layout but as part of pack would probably be fine.

Generally most of the rules are there to keep things civil with other hackers, and to avoid having to include a million "I changed the starter" pokemon hacks. Make an effort to consider gameplay properly and change it for the better (whatever that might entail for you -- easy, hard, less grind, more grind...) and that changes a lot of minds.
So let's just say if I want to make a graphical hack with minor bugfixes and QoL improvement there and there. And for that matter I'll need Captainmuscle's FF1 dynamic battle hack and the default battle speed to 6 hack from FF restored. Should I tell people to download them separately on my project's readme file or am I allowed to ask permission from them to include their hacks on my project and credited them on the readme later?