News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Password changes in the VC releases of Metroid and Kid Icarus?  (Read 777 times)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
I remember way, way back in 2007 when Kid Icarus was released for virtual console and people were all kinds of upset that it didn't support certain passwords. I also remember there was no clear reason for it at the time.
https://www.engadget.com/2007-02-13-secret-passwords-lost-in-kid-icarus-vc.html

But there was this other video released back in February that discusses how certain passwords in Metroid produce wildly unstable results in some of Nintendo's emulators.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRydysMUOFc

What exactly is the story here?  What do these passwords do?  As popular as Metroid is, I would expect this to be thoroughly documented somewhere by now.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Password changes in the VC releases of Metroid and Kid Icarus?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 12:16:23 pm »
Metroid's (the ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER ****ER password) I believe messes up the MMC1 registers somehow, causing it to jump to invalid code. The results are thus dependent on how invalid opcodes are handled.
On a real NES, it blank screens (tested with both the silver and yellow carts). (people have claimed it can brick their carts, but I don't see how that is even possible, considering it doesn't have a battery to retain the RAM contents)
On emulators, it seems to put Samus in Brinstar but without screen scrolling enabled.
The GBA release (unlockable in Zero Mission all versions, but I assume the US/EU "Classic" version is simply the ZM unlockable sold as a standalone game) soft-resets to the title screen. (JP Mini is based on FDS so it lacks the glitch)
I know when the 3DS VC version was first released (as a free download to registered "Ambassador" members who bought the console while it was still $250 MSRP), that password was the first thing someone tried and they said it hard-locked their console. I would guess/hope Nintendo would've fixed that by the time it was sold commercially (the Ambassador releases were clearly VC prototype releases, and I think they essentially said as much, though they did allow the Ambassadors to upgrade to the final versions free)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Password changes in the VC releases of Metroid and Kid Icarus?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 12:34:05 pm »
I found a little more info at https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15160 .

The video I linked to talks about how the "five-screw" version of the cart is different from the "three-screw" version, but is it just a matter of different hardware handling the registers better somehow?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!