News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ok If I were to romhack, which game should I pick that would easy?  (Read 3468 times)

arunpandit

• View Profile
Please, I need an honest answer, I really want to develop a game using an old engine, flat for sale in thane

either one is fine, Im stuck in another block here: runwal project in dombivali
Platformer

Fighting Game The Guardians Mumbai

Anything that you have had success with yourself, give the name of the game. Im so sick of not completing anything. I need decent graphics, and something really editable. 3 bhk flats in dadar

Has anyone ever had a developer's block? flats for sale in kandivali east

Was thinking about editing a Chrono Trigger rom, but am sick of RPGs, yep thats how it is right now,

P.S. Want to put a script of my own in the rom, and change everything in the game to suit the story.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 01:32:04 am by arunpandit »

The3Dude

• View Profile
Re: ok If I were to romhack, which game should I pick that would easy?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 10:43:16 am »
Well. That depends. :huh:

NES games are the easiest to hack out of all systems.

Mario is a good platformer to hack, maybe even Castlevania. You could hack Zelda 2. I know you said no RPGs, but that's more of an action RPG.

EDIT: Zelda 2 also has platformer elements.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 10:49:55 am by The3Dude »
~The3Dude~

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 10:52:59 am »
I really want to develop a game using an old engine
ROMhacking is one thing; developing a game using an old engine is something else entirely.  And if you are "sick of not completing anything" then this is absolutely not what you should do!  Old game engines are not at all designed with further development in mind and I promise you that you are very quickly going to find something that you want to change but that is practically impossible to change – and then you will give up.

What have you used in the past?  What makes you think trying to develop a game using an old engine will be a solution to your "developer's block"?

Want to put a script of my own in the rom, and change everything in the game to suit the story.
Neither platformers nor fighting games are at all known for their scripts or stories, so what could you hope to accomplish?

I might suggest Super Mario World because it is probably one of the most extensively hacked games and thus likely to offer the most flexibility, but you would still be much better off using a practical development tool.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 11:09:12 am »
If you are more focused on the outcome than the learning / discovery process, then I would suggest browsing the utilities section to see which games have the best support. You can also get a feel for this by the number of "complete" hacks (i.e., not just graphics or levels) by different authors. Sega Genesis/Mega Drive tends to be trickier to work with due to compression.

To Jorpho's point, retrofitting a game onto an existing game is attractive on the one hand because the fundamental challenges have been worked out - enemy collision, environment collision, physics, AI, controls, animations, state changes. On the other hand, of course the developers of the original game did not leave a red carpet behind them for posterity.

I will also attest to this:
if you are "sick of not completing anything" then this is absolutely not what you should do!  Old game engines are not at all designed with further development in mind and I promise you that you are very quickly going to find something that you want to change but that is practically impossible to change – and then you will give up.

April 03, 2020, 11:16:14 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Quote from: The3Dude
Zelda 2 also has platformer elements.
The physics and combat of Zelda 2 are so good that I would love to see an entire Zelda 2 hack of just platforming and fighting. No overworld, maybe an optional forked path here and there for a bonus, but otherwise minimal maze elements.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 11:16:14 am by PolishedTurd »

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 03:19:16 pm »
As was mentioned adapting one game into another with your own themes and whatnot, something that may fall under the banner of total conversion, is one of the more intensive things you can be doing as a ROM hacker.

Likewise ROM hackers tend to be made up of those that will push through a challenge, and probably even enjoy doing so at some level -- I won't be happy to spend all weekend essentially piecing random data together but if at the end of something when it all clicks and I finish up with "well that was a need trick and an interesting way of doing things" then I like that and I dare say I am not alone in that one. There might be ROMS out there which are basically ASCII text with raw memory locations preceding it (and in text markers to match), graphics that are uncompressed and unmapped 8x8 or 16x16 tiles, fonts similarly basic and with plenty of space, levels you can practically paint in a hex editor if you set it to the right width, stats you can read no harder than looking at a spreadsheet, and so on and so on. I don't know of any offhand really and ultimately such a thing would teach you nothing, or at least not prepare you for the real world as it were.

If you want to practice individual skills there should be enough documented ROMs out there that you can fill in the gaps, or not have to worry about doing the boring initial steps to get to the thing you want to learn. Again I don't know of any one ROM that has it all but there should be enough simplistic examples out there to switch out as necessary.

For instance if you find an existing encoding table for a game you can drop parts and fill in the blanks and practice finding punctuation. If you know where text is because something told you you can find out a table even if you know nothing of the encoding. If you have a full table and text you can then work on pointers. With all of that you can figure out how to make a script for the likes of atlas and cartographer or one of the other text dumping/insertion setups. If you know where graphics are located for a game you can instead learn your tile editor more easily and possibly then figure out palettes and workarounds for them. If you have a level format dictated to you then you can either fill in some blanks or edit it raw and learn how such things work (nobody will practically edit a level raw but if you understand what is going on underneath it all then so much the better). This goes on for a while but there are plenty of ways you can have the grunt work done to the point that all you have to do is what you want to learn.

I don't know if there is any one system I would suggest. When learning assembly or something you might get the learning CPUs that don't do anything exotic, and in electronics for consoles or emulation you find yourself staring at the chip-8 stuff. Practical realities of electronics, economics and people being more than happy to trade increased complexity for increased capabilities mean there is not a lot here.
Different ones have different perks -- while the GBA and DS might have their quirks they are ultimately fairly textbook examples of all the aspects of game consoles and something you will never run out of space for. They might have more complexity than the NES but it is still fairly obvious expansions of concepts you will find there.
You probably want to pick something reasonably popular (most Nintendo consoles/handhelds or 8 or 16 bit Sega efforts or the game game, PS1 and PS2) and there are some I would not pick (probably arcade and Sega Saturn, might include N64 in this too) for complexity reasons, and go too new and you end up basically doing a slightly more exotic version of PC game.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 06:23:26 pm »
Sounds to me like you may be on the verge of wanting to just develop your own game.

If you want to stick with ROMhacking, Super Mario World is likely your best bet as it has a huge amount of tools and resources available.
At this point, it's possible to use SMW almost as if it were a sort of game engine.
However, it has its own challenges depending on exactly what you want to do exactly.

Depending on your current knowledge and how much time you can invest in learning new systems, you may want to consider working on your own game.
There are several SDKs available.
(I use GameMaker Studio because I was already familiar with programming languages similar to the one it uses.)
But there are challenges to doing that, too.
You have to develop most things from scratch such as dialogue boxes, physics, etc.
A lot of more advanced things require scripting.
(Though, scripting is often a hell of a lot easier than the custom ASM you have to fit into existing ROMs.)

It really depends on what you want to accomplish and how dedicated you can be to it.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 08:44:54 pm »
The easiest I've ever seen is Arkanoid NES.