News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help with hacking Streets of Rage 2  (Read 670 times)

Pacsonic

• View Profile
Help with hacking Streets of Rage 2
« on: March 28, 2020, 07:40:53 pm »
I am working on a My Hero Academia themed hack of Streets of Rage 2. I can't figure out how to edit the enemy sprites as Pancake 2 tells me they're compressed, I don't know how to change text in genesis games, I want to replace some of the voice samples, and I want to edit palletes of a specific character without affecting the other sprites. Does anyone know how to do any of this? I already replaced Axel with Deku, Blaze wth Uraraka, Max with Tsu, Skate with Todoroki, and Jack with Toga and That's all the program will let me edit. I also can't figure out how to edit the player icons in the corners of the screen during gameplay.

eskayelle

• NBA Jam 2KTE / TMNT of Rage / Pong de las TMNT Dev
    • View Profile
Re: Help with hacking Streets of Rage 2
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 10:19:16 pm »
Several enemies are indeed compressed, so you'd need to figure out how to decompress them (Pancake2v16b has an option), then edit the individual sprites in an editor (like Tile Layer Pro), then figure out how to re-insert them (requiring you to figure out or get help figuring out how the compression works to re-engineer it).  Four or five bosses are not compressed, most of them evident in Pancake 2.

For sounds, go here.

For text, see my response to your other post.

Many enemies use the same palette.  Researching on gamehacking.org will also get you some palettes' locations; then you could use HivePal to change them.  There's also a Palettes of Rage utility here.  The 4 playable characters share the exact same palette, so there's a catch there.

Portraits/icons can be viewed in a tile editor, 4BPP linear (Genesis), around offsets $335E0 to $341E0.
I once wrote a blog.  Maybe you'll find something in it useful?  https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=30593.0