News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: [JPN -> ENG] [MD] Surging Aura  (Read 6101 times)

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
[JPN -> ENG] [MD] Surging Aura
« on: March 22, 2020, 04:40:28 pm »
I'm looking for a Japanese-to-English translator who can make short work of the Surging Aura script once and for all. A lot of translators have come and gone over the last decade that I've been working on this project, but none have been able to see it through to completion. I do have a partial translation from a previous translator from about 3 years ago which I'll happily make available.

The UTF-8 script contains approximately 214000 characters and clocks in at 347Kb. If there's a format other than text that you would prefer to work with (spreadsheet, etc), let me know and we can make that happen.

Example of the script:

Code: [Select]
//[03767E = 0300]
#WRITEINDEX($3767E,1)
#WRITE(PtrTable)

//世界を滅ぼす、闇の呪法典。<LINE>
//この呪法典をめぐる、光と闇の<LINE>
//呪法師どうしの戦い・・・<STOP>

This project has been in progress since around 2009. All of the ASM modifications to support a VWF have been implemented and tested in the various scenarios where text is rendered in-game. Barring any issues that come up once the translated script is inserted, everything should be squared away from the technical side of the project.

I have some tooling left to write to support formatting and inserting the translated script which won't take much time. There is a decent amount of free space in the ROM that I'm hoping will be enough to accommodate the translated script. I have a working Huffman compressor implemented after about a day of work. I need to update the in-game routines to support decompressing text and some other potential optimizations on the table to consider if necessary. I would like to avoid that if at all possible. Obviously, I need the translated script to make any of these decisions.

I also have a physical copy of the game and I would love to get the manual translated. That would be a stretch goal if you're up for it.

I would really like to see this project get wrapped up by the end of the year, so if you think you can help, let's talk!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 05:23:26 pm by RedComet »
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Guadozoku

• View Profile
Re: [JPN -> ENG] [MD] Surging Aura
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 03:28:48 pm »
I'll do it if all the kanji are in there. I looked at the version in the abandoned projects section and it wasn't complete., so if it's ready for translation now, I'm in.

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 10:45:01 pm »
Emailed the completed script to you.

THEleghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 04:01:19 pm »
Emailed the completed script to you.

Any word on this? I'm currently sorting all my ROMs, deleting duplicates and trying to get translations for everything available, and just found out this game exists.

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 11:32:15 pm »
It's a work-in-progress and being actively worked on as time permits, but 2020 has been (and continues to be) a hell of a ride for all of us. :-\
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 08:53:29 am »
It's a work-in-progress and being actively worked on as time permits, but 2020 has been (and continues to be) a hell of a ride for all of us. :-\

I know it's not very useful, but you have my best wishes on this project. I played the French translation years ago due to my gf still remembering a little French from a crash course she did on her teenage years and, while not a masterpiece, it wasn't a bad game. I hope it sees an English release soon! :thumbsup:

Whipon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 09:03:51 am »

I second Aqualung, best wishes on this project, the remanining of 2020 and the next year.

I learnt of this game almost 20 years ago and I've been waiting to play it since then.

Keep up the good work ;).