News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: I need yychr help!  (Read 1031 times)

ChurroFX

• View Profile
I need yychr help!
« on: March 22, 2020, 12:34:45 am »
I'm making a simple hack to reduce the size of the shields in link to the past the same size as the fighters shield, so they don't obscure the sprite, but when I load the uncompressed rom into yychr, the pallete is messed up, so it can't properly edit the sprite, and I can't find a pallete file that restores the proper colors to the shields. Can anyone find or make me one? Another question, how can I test if ive properly changed the sprites?

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
Re: I need yychr help!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 07:51:21 pm »
Let me guess what you did so far. You did extract the Alttp GFX with zCompress to view the graphics. Since expanding the ROM will not decompress graphics. Or did you find other tools for it? You can change palettes of the shield with HyruleMagic editor if you are not comfortable with a debugger and hex editor. You can also load palettes from a zsnes savestate. yychr is not capable to load palettes of a ROM. You can do things like this with tile molester but should not be needed for your project. Just use the original color you find in your save state.
When I am not mistaken you probably edit graphics and will need to compress and insert them back to the alttp ROM. For this you just follow the readme of zCompress tool. To test your changes you load the ROM in a emulator to test and view the changes.

Note: Editing links spite is much easier this graphics are not compressed and there are amazing tool that help you to make a new sprite. You can find tutorials on youtube for it. There are tones of sprites on the randomizer page.

Since I had everything open I just made the shield a bit smaller. This patch will need to be used with a original unheadered US ROM. It will add a header and the smaller shild. https://www.dropbox.com/s/x64jwkpvfotuzvf/AlttpSmallMirrorShild.ips?dl=0

« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:42:11 pm by bogaabogaa »
CV ROM DiscordServer
https://discord.gg/PvFgxRg