News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Is there a program to help see incompatibilities between IPS patches?  (Read 697 times)

R1SKbreaker

• View Profile
I want to combine a couple patches and it would be cool if I can see if any patches overwrite the same data on a ROM. I heard of IPS Peek, which sounds like that could maybe be what I'm looking for but figured I'd ask here first.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Is there a program to help see incompatibilities between IPS patches?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 11:50:53 am »
There are a few things that detect collisions in patching for those systems that don't do relocation.

However that is seldom the whole story.

Sometimes you get patches that overwrite the same area deliberately (someone might make a translation and another tweak some wording, change the font,

Sometimes the data location changes within a game; the ever popular "just move it to the end" method used in quite a few games (especially ones without banks or similar fun, though they are hardly immune either -- for the GBA and files within DS ROMS and PSP stuff it is almost the default method) means I can doodle all over a sprite but if the pointers say the sprite is at the end of the game/file now it is not going to change a thing. Indeed this might be the method you use to fix a collision that matters.

Beyond that sometimes there are overwrites within the same area that, albeit unintentional, do not trouble anything.

Ignoring all that though then even if there was not a file your hex editor if you have one of the big boy ones (say hex workshop) should be able to do a file compare and tell you what has been changed. Copy and paste/export the results of both compares and you can view that data, make a spreadsheet or do what you need to do. If you got really bored then most IPS patches are a list of location and change data.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 04:12:55 pm »
There are three that can do this, all found in the Utilities section:

1. Advanced Patch Conflict Finder.  The most robust for your job.
2. Patch Checker.  Much more simple but also quicker to use.
3. IPS Peek.  You probably already know this but while this doesn't compare, you can open up one patch at a time and compare the addresses effected.

Now keep this in mind: These are for measuring whether something writes to the same section in the ROM or not. Compatibility is not always assured by this, and there still may be other kinds of conflicts.  It always helps to use as few patches as possible, or to use a combination patch if you can find one (for example in cases where there are hundreds of bugfix patches like FFVI).

R1SKbreaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 08:12:35 pm »
Thanks. Sorry I forgot to check back here since I'm not currently working with ROM hacks but will be soon.

FFIV and FFVI are the biggest ones I want to do combo patches on. I know the FFVI Woolsey patch already does a lot of them, but there are a handful of QoL improvement patches I wanted to add, as well as other bugfix type patches if they would be compatible.