News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [Audio][NES / SNES] RPG Music Offered  (Read 1678 times)

adjes

• View Profile
[Audio][NES / SNES] RPG Music Offered
« on: March 14, 2020, 12:20:48 am »
I am a musician, seeking to engineer music for a NES / SNES game. I have demos made on conventional instruments, and are looking for a corresponding RPG project to work on, to translate to 8 or 16 bit. Typical themes I want to develop would include "Town", "Event", "Battle", etc themes. These would depend on the game, of course.

I'm flexible to the platform, though the files must end up being actual VGM files (playable by vgmstream for example). I would lean towards either NSF or SPC as obvious first choices. Genesis might also be something I would do.

Perhaps this is actually a "Job Wanted" post, not help wanted. This is all unpaid, and the goal is to create music for a homebrew NES or SNES game. I believe it still falls within this section (I did review all other posts here before posting - famitracker doesn't have any equivalent to a help wanted page, though I might post there also).

Thanks

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: [Audio][NES / SNES] RPG Music Offered
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 11:18:24 am »
Hello,

I'm the developer of Dragon Skill, a small NES homebrew game I'm developing, development started in 2005 and halted arround 2015. I might profit of the current epidemy to re-enable that project.

The game is a Zelda-like action RPG, there is no village however, very little storyline, only dungeons levels. The levels and their related music are as following:
  • Level 1 : Mountains - music already composed and arranged
  • Level 2 : Cave - music already composed and arranged
  • Level 3 : Forest - music already composed and arranged
  • Level 4 : Desert - music composed, but not yet arranded for NES hardware
  • Level 5 : Volcano - no music yet.
  • Level 6 : The cahos (a cahotic level with boss re-fights) - no music yet
  • Boss music : Already composed and arranged
  • Game over music : Already composed and arranged
  • Victory music : Already composed and arranged
  • Ending music : No music yet.

I use my own music driver, which doesn't allow advanced features such as vibrato on purpose to save RAM. Also I used a special "style" where I use triangle wave as melody, and the two square waves for bass and counterpoint. In order to be consistant with the game, the music that remains would have to follow a similar style.

So you can have a try to compose music for Level 5, Level 6 or Ending. I can send you some screenshots of the level if this inspires you.

If somebody has a project that is more likely to be completed one day, or if you feel like it's too much limiting, or not the type of game you were looking for, I fully understand !

Note : Once the game will be released, it will be released as a free-to-download ROM and everyone contributing will be credited.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 11:24:53 am by Bregalad »

adjes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 12:24:04 am »
Hello Bregalad, Thanks for the response. I searched "dragon skill" and came up with the nesdev forums. I'll also watch there, as they seem to be active in NSF development.

It seems to fall within the realm of what I was looking for. Given that some of the development is done, it will give me a chance to "get my feet wet" in the process of sound engineering, so to speak. Could you post more information in these forums, or via PM? To work on the project, I would want something like:
  • Demo version of game to get familiar with gameplay, theme, and whatnot
  • Copy of the current music

Also, I'd need some information on any requirements your game has in terms of NSF development. My assumption going into NSF dev was that I might use Famitracker (or similar). Maybe you would have a tool you recommend. I also don't know how the programming is managed with regards to a NSF file (whether or not you can just insert the NSF bitstream into the ROM). If your game has NSF file format requirements that necessitate use of a different program (or perhaps the output file just has to be adjusted), let me know what kind of a workflow that might be.

One last item of note, I assume the files will be playable as standalone NSF files? And will the ROM be playable on native hardware (through use of flash cart)?

Thanks,

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 01:53:10 pm »
Hello, the information given on the projet on the internet was purposedly sparse in order to have a full surprise when it comes out. The problem is that this strategy wasn't a success since the development stalled.

Current state : The game world is almost complete and walkable, but it's mostly free of any enemies. I could provide a test ROM but it'd need to be privately shared.

I can inform you about how the sound engine and sound format works. However there's no harm if you prototype the music in famitracker and let me convert to game format. Basically the music is stored in a way that is practical to make the music take as few bytes as possible in ROM, but it's not practical for direct composition. It's usually one byte per note/rest, and there's commands like octave up/down, change instrument, etc... Hardware sweep can be used for square channels, but other than that there's no effects. I can provide the NSF.

Yes, the ROM will be playable in flash cards, and if the game is a success a real cart release is possible. The goal of releasing the game is more important than how, for the momment, since I've been stalled on that projet for so long, because coding enemies and boss is hard (the rest is OK).

adjes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 02:05:52 am »
Looks like with the development ROM and the NSF I should have enough to get started on some compositions.

I will send a PM w/email.