News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Interested In An "Ancient Roman - Power Of The Dark Side" PSX Translation  (Read 1100 times)

Azoth The Monk

• View Profile
Greetings, I go by the nickname Azoth and I am a hardcore old-school JRPG player. I am a big fan of the playstation era and I know that Japan had great turn based games in that time that were unfortunately never released in English.
I came across a blatant Final Fantasy VII clone named "Ancient Roman - Power of the Dark Side" (1998) from Japan for the PSX and it looks like something I would want to play through and enjoy. The turn based battle system looks fun, the story seems pretty epic, and it has cool pre-rendered backgrounds like the psx Final Fantasy games. Here is a video of someone going though the first 26 minutes with an on screen translation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6W_972HpNA

PSX Datacenter link: https://psxdatacenter.com/games/J/A/SLPS-01108.html

Maybe if we get a group going we can give it a shot... I don't know the language and have never done a rom hack before, but I can put text into a translator and smooth out the rough edges.

I am surprised that there hasn't been an effort on this game already.

Let me know if you're interested fellas.

- Azoth The Monk
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 02:59:00 am by Azoth The Monk »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Interested In An "Ancient Roman - Power Of The Dark Side" PSX Translation
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 04:11:24 pm »
Maybe if we get a group going we can give it a shot... I don't know the language and have never done a rom hack before
Ideas are cheap, and PSX game hacking is hard. There's a whole page of translation requests already, and an even longer thread of hack ideas. If you were hoping to summon a squadron of Internet elves, I hope you had low expectations.

I reckon you would be much more likely to get some traction if you have something else to show.  If you're looking for a place to start, may I suggest:
The Newbie Package of REQUIRED Material

ROMHacking.net FAQ: You ask, we answer!
ROMHacking.net Getting Started Section: Newbies Go HERE!
ROMHacking.net Documents Section!
How to ask questions the smart way.
On the Essence of ROM Hacking
Talk with experienced people in our IRC chat and ask specific questions there.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

MatatabiMitsu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 09:32:07 pm »
I'm also just going to point out that this game is known in Japan as a kusoge (crappy game) so it'll be pretty hard to drum up interest. There are much, much better untranslated PSX games if you're interested in hacking PSX RPGs, and translators like myself would be more than willing to jump in assuming you could get the script extracted and figure out how to reinsert it.

If you're interested in putting in the time to learn how to hack PSX games, I'd be more than happy to tell you about some much better untranslated PSX RPGs you could look at.

Edit: The Japanese game review wiki has quite a laundry list of complaints about this game: https://w.atwiki.jp/gcmatome/pages/2786.html

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 08:58:44 pm »
I've looked into this game before. Probably caught my eye mostly because it's early in alphabetical order.

This game's dialogue is in SJIS. Very easy to view. Getting it back in the game in a way that'll look nice is a different story.

The text system is very bare-bones. No line breaks, no page breaks, no formatting or control codes of any kind ,just autowrapped text. (If anyone is wondering how renaming the MC works in that case, it's more like find-and-replace.) It's also embedded into the event scripts, you'd have to figure out the script flow/pointers in order to rearrange the data for more lines of text.

If anyone wants to look at the data:
In the folder S00, there are a bunch of files, containing data for sets of locations. If you scan these files for TIM images, you can see all the backgrounds.

For example. S000.dat corresponds to the first town.