when I go to the main menu and examine characters, I saw Paula, Ken, Milo, and Kate as the last four characters in the last four slots.
Is that actually part of the hack's programming? I don't remember seeing them in the original release of the NES port or Ludmeister's one.
Aye! Every time a new game is created, four characters are chosen from a roster of pre-made ones in a semi-random fashion (the game actually tries to make a balanced party for you).
This replaces the original "pre-made" character selection.
And for the curious, there are a few reasons why I made that change:
- The previous functionality took way too much room for little return.
- Some of the pre-made characters were not the best choices.
- The process of selecting four random characters was about as long as manually creating them, and sometimes longer if the RNG kept presenting you the same two you didn't want.
- If one was new to the game and knew nothing about professions, races, ability bonuses etc. presenting them with that kind of choice was not effective.
- If one was not
new, but just wanted to start the game quickly with pre-made characters, this was also useless since as stated before the random selection took longer than manual generation.
- With this system you can just start a new game and immediately form a part using the last four slots, and you will have a balanced, usable combination of professions with decent stats.