News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Bard's Tale I & II  (Read 1035 times)

Scythifuge

• View Profile
Bard's Tale I & II
« on: February 16, 2020, 04:13:58 pm »
Greetings,

Can anyone take a look at the Famicom version of The Bard's Tale and compare it to the US release? I own the US release and beat it as a kid, and I just found out that it is a dumbed down version.  The Japanese release has extra tunes, extra pics, extra sprites... It is like an enhanced version of the game.  I'm also interested in altering the colors of certain things and maybe altering or adding sprites.

I don't know Japanese or how difficult it would be to translate the game since we already have most of the English script in the US release, and they use the same engine.

If anyone is interested in taking this on, I would also be interested in knowing if BT 2 uses the same engine and if it would be easy to translate as a result of work on BT.

I want to thank everyone who uses their skills to help us play these games.  I am thinking of learning assembly, because I would like to make games for the NES, C64, and Atari.  I also want to learn how hacking and translations are done.

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
Re: Bard's Tale I & II
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 05:28:09 pm »
I doubt this game is for novice hackers, especially 2.
iromhacker.ru - NES ROM hacking tutorials for beginners. Please use Google Translate browser extension

Sanedan56

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 05:38:12 pm »
If it wasn't for the current project I'm doing, I would've been hacking the game already.

I do have plans for this game in the future.

Scythifuge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 05:57:34 pm »
I doubt this game is for novice hackers, especially 2.

I agree! My post is mostly a request, though I do want to learn the skills.

If it wasn't for the current project I'm doing, I would've been hacking the game already.

I do have plans for this game in the future.

Awesome!  I played around with the Japanese rom today and was able to create a character and walk around Skara Brae a little bit, and saw some of the graphics that we didn't get in the US version.