News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Translations: Phantasy Star Retranslation Project  (Read 33548 times)

D

Re: Translations: Phantasy Star Retranslation Project
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2006, 11:00:52 am »
Oddly, I can't recall anyone who ever whined like a mule at byuu and I for how we "changed" Garrett to Ledin and Warsong into Langrisser ...

Kitsune Sniper

• Complaining about mods == trolling, whee
    • View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2006, 01:37:11 pm »
Oddly, I can't recall anyone who ever whined like a mule at byuu and I for how we "changed" Garrett to Ledin and Warsong into Langrisser ...

Maybe because there's a considerably smaller fanbase for Langrisser than for Phantasy Star? Maybe because the series is much more popular?
For any further project updates, please visit my website. I do not wish to belong to a site where a user has no voice.

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2006, 04:49:13 pm »
i can tell you that there are a shit load of dragon warrior fans who bitch about monster names and spell names and the like.

icemann

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2006, 03:25:52 am »
Dais: Yes I speak english. Did you see me typing in anything other than english dumbass?

Anyways its a great translation by the look of it, but I for one grew up with Phantasy Star being one way and thats all it`ll ever be for me, just as many people are sticking to the "IT MUST BE THE SAME NAMES AS THE JAPANESE VERSION" position on it which is fine. But I wont be downloading it.

And no I dont make my own translation patches or know much about them. I tried to do a hack of Shadowrun on the snes a year back and that was about it. I`m just a fan of translation patches, having followed the scene for several years now and having enjoyed many great patches due to it (Seiken Desetsu 3, Bahamut Lagoon etc) and if you have a problem with that then deal with it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 03:40:57 am by icemann »

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2006, 03:34:51 am »
Shadowrun's got Huffmann dialogue, if I remember correctly. You ain't gonna be touching -that- with a hex editor :p This should be moderately easier.

I know I'll certainly be changing a few names I'm used to, but it'll A) be a five-minute-tops simple text hack, and B) you won't see any modified patch released by me, as that would be extremely impolite.

Grave Wisdom

• The Gaming Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2006, 03:38:48 am »
Shadowrun's got Huffmann dialogue, if I remember correctly. You ain't gonna be touching -that- with a hex editor :p This should be moderately easier.

I know I'll certainly be changing a few names I'm used to, but it'll A) be a five-minute-tops simple text hack, and B) you won't see any modified patch released by me, as that would be extremely impolite.

You could always ask for permission to release a modified patch, nothing impolite in that imho :)

But regardless, i'll live with the names either way!  ;D
"I have come back from the dead, and am now Red Pison"

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2006, 03:42:30 am »
Nah. Some folks might not like my preferences, and would want to have their own stuff hacked in :) Personally I'm used to the PS4 conventions which are fairly accurate to the Japanese names; I prefer "Lashiec" (without the capital S)/Motavia/Dezolis/Parma. Odin/Tairon? Couldn't care less. Most of 'em are exactly the same length and would just mean changing an L to an R or a B to a V, simple stuff I could do in my sleep.

icemann

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2006, 04:00:57 am »
Gideon Zhi: Well my original impossible to achieve (for a noob at hacks like me anyway) dream was to create my own Shadowrun 2 or at the very least create an alternate version of the game. I`m a huge fan of the original game on the snes, and if you`ve played it you know how it ends with the mention of a sequel in the future which never came to be. I happen to know one of the testers of the game also (look for a Brian Uniac in the credits).

And so I looked around the net for a good week looking for documents on the game and about game hacks. Eventually I got an ok hex editor and had a look around the uncompressed areas of the game (the intro text, title screen text and matrix sections text) documenting what meant what in a text file as I went. Best I managed was a altered title screen with a few changes here and there. But since I couldn`t get into the compressed text or code I stopped shortly after on that.

Later tried to do a remake of the game in dark basic and got alot further with that (had the majority of the graphics ripped + all music) before stopping on that also.

D

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2006, 06:45:18 am »
Maybe because there's a considerably smaller fanbase for Langrisser than for Phantasy Star? Maybe because the series is much more popular?

Kitsune, you've been on the internet long enough to have learned this: the fewer a group is in number, the louder they scream.

bahamutX

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2006, 07:35:43 am »
phantasy star....this awakes memories....
actually i fnished PS1 pretty late (last year to be precise). i was lucky to discover it on a fleemarket along with some other SMS gems. i promptly bought it and i really liked this game. t was kinda short but nice AND it had some backgrounds while in battle mode (PS2 had none).
PS2,3,4 were finished in 1994-95 when i purchased a genesis. it got much cheaper these days, so i could efford it along with all the rpgs, which i too bought on a flee market. btw PS2 was the only game along with wizardry5 where i ve drawn a map by myself!
if someone really care for PS these days i d advise them to go for PS1,4 only.  PS2 was awesome in 1989 but now its unbearable for anyone with 2 eyes in the head. PS3...well...was it even a real game or just a long demo perhaps? sega really wasnt serious bout this one....

icemann

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2006, 09:17:36 am »
So the 4th game directly ties in with the 1st? Hmm might have to play that one. Only played PS1 and PS2 so far. Had wanted to complete them in order.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2006, 09:29:04 am »
So the 4th game directly ties in with the 1st? Hmm might have to play that one. Only played PS1 and PS2 so far. Had wanted to complete them in order.

Just pretend 3 doesn't exist!  But, play 4 now! You are depriving yourself my good man...  :D

bahamutX

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2006, 09:36:14 am »
well there re some small details in PS4 where ya might remember PS1 stuff, but generally they ve nothing in common. however i d begin with PS1 if i were ya...

Grave Wisdom

• The Gaming Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2006, 09:49:39 am »
HEY! PS3 isn't all bad. Although, it probably should've been a gaiden title, instead of a Phantasy Star proper...

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2006, 09:52:28 am »
HEY! PS3 isn't all bad. Although, it probably should've been a gaiden title, instead of a Phantasy Star proper...

I meant compared to its brethen!

Grave Wisdom

• The Gaming Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2006, 09:55:02 am »
Even compared to the other PS games, 3 holds it's own. The problem is, it's too different gameplay and story-wise from the rest of the series.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2006, 10:12:12 am »
Even compared to the other PS games, 3 holds it's own. The problem is, it's too different gameplay and story-wise from the rest of the series.

Oh yeah!?  >:(

:-*

bahamutX

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2006, 10:15:39 am »

well i suppose they wanted to make PS3 a gaiden, but decided themselves for ths gamegear crap. i just didnt like that changing generations aspect of PS3. hell, i d like to finish the game with the same person i began the game!

Grave Wisdom

• The Gaming Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2006, 10:21:29 am »
I thought the generations aspect was one of the best things in Phantasy Star 3. Not many Rpg's before or since have offered branching stories like that. I'd honestly like to see more games have a feature like that!

bahamutX

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2006, 10:25:13 am »
I thought the generations aspect was one of the best things in Phantasy Star 3. Not many Rpg's before or since have offered branching stories like that. I'd honestly like to see more games have a feature like that!

agreed, the aspect is innovative but also somehow disturbing on the other hand. when played it i always ve got the feeling to begin anew. oh and what was really disturbing was the fact that the hero ran as slow as my drunken butt. no acceleration button.