News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Phantasy Star Retranslation Project  (Read 27285 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Phantasy Star Retranslation Project
« on: January 20, 2006, 07:30:24 am »

This is an automated message generated by Romhacking.net's RHDNBot.

Update By: Anonymous

A dedicated team at SMS Power! is freshening up the 8-bit FM version with extensive assembly work and a retranslation.

Will DarkFalz survive?

Check the WIP link for more screenshots and detailed information.

Staff Note: From the looks of the thread they currently have the script translated and are waiting for their script editor to do his magic.

Relevant Link: (http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6892)

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
Re: Translations: Phantasy Star Retranslation Project
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 10:09:04 pm »
This really makes me happy!  ;D

I was wanting to go back and replay the first Phantasy Star, so with the added benefit of a better translation and the actual FM music, now I really have incentive.  :D

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 10:28:01 pm »
I never played the first Phantasy Star, just the ones that were available for the Genesis. Never got anywhere in them, maybe I'll give this one a go.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 11:28:05 pm »
I never played the first Phantasy Star, just the ones that were available for the Genesis. Never got anywhere in them, maybe I'll give this one a go.

For anybody new to this series...  I would actually recommend part 4 first... it's, more "modern"... meaning it's more accessible.

Part 1 is Godly for its time, but extremely archaic insofar as game design goes these days.  One word really, "leveling".

Part 2 is great, has amazing music, but the battle system is annoyingly simplistic and limited.

Part 3.  We probably shouldn't talk about part 3.

Part 4 is like I said very accessible, and graphically / aurally still quite fantastic.  Just about anybody could play this one I would think.

Kitsune Sniper

• Complaining about mods == trolling, whee
    • View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 11:49:15 pm »
Part 2 is okay, if you like seizure-inducing battles.

I rented the game once. Five minutes after starting to play it I returned it. I simply could =not= tolerate so much )@#$)# flashing.
For any further project updates, please visit my website. I do not wish to belong to a site where a user has no voice.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 11:58:59 pm »
Part 2 is okay, if you like seizure-inducing battles.

I rented the game once. Five minutes after starting to play it I returned it. I simply could =not= tolerate so much )@#$)# flashing.

Hahaha!  Man you should fight the last boss... :P

I had it when I was 11, and I could take the battle system back then.  I did actually beat it by the time I was 12.  However, about 10 years later when I went to replay it, I just couldn't deal with the overly limited battle system, not so much the VR flash stuff (though I can see how that's annoying).

Grave Wisdom

• The Gaming Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 12:23:15 am »
I actually had freaky ass dreams about Phantasy Star 2 battles when I was a kid. I got chased around by a bunch of creepy ass monsters...and whenever I got near them...the PS2 Battlesystem would come up...complete with lot's of flashing lights and stuff...and monsters moving around. That freaked me out, but looking back I feel "woah, that dream kicked MY ass"  ;D
"I have come back from the dead, and am now Red Pison"

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 06:45:44 am »
The only one I ever played to any extent was Phantasy Star 1. My cousin had a SMS and I was over his house one summer for like a week. A month before I was at his birthday when he got the game, and I remember seeing him play it that night. Anyway, while I was there for that week that's virtually all we did. Just playing through phantasy star. I don't even remember how far we got, but I have very fond memories of that game being absofuckinglutely kick ass.

I should really sit down and play through that game again.

(wraith)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 11:19:08 am »
Similar situation with me, Neil. My brother's friend's cousin was like the ONLY person with an SMS. Every now and then, we would trade him vast quatities of NES games to borrow the SMS and PS1.

That game is PHANTASTIC HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHALALAOOLOLOLOLZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(shoot me)

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 01:51:44 pm »
I somehow ended up with an SMS and PS1 when I was 9.  Finally beat it when I was 10.

Twas the "killer app" of the SMS, no doubt.

Well, besides Fantasy Zone II of course. ;)

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 06:56:40 pm »
WUNDER BOI

p4ch3c0

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 08:49:08 pm »
Shinobi > *

Grave Wisdom

• The Gaming Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 08:53:41 pm »
Zillion!!!

...actually, I liked Phantasy Star 1 better, but Zillion was tha shiz too!!!

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 09:49:38 pm »
Zillion!!!

...actually, I liked Phantasy Star 1 better, but Zillion was tha shiz too!!!

Well since you guys started all this... :P

Phantasy Star! Alex Kidd In Miracle World! Fantasy Zone II!  Wonder Boy 1! Shinobi!  Space Harrier! Zillion! Quartet! Zaxxon 3D! Alien Syndrome! Aztec Adventure!

Okay, I feel better...

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 09:50:32 pm »
My eyes hurt D:

icemann

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 10:57:18 pm »
I am a HUGE FAN of the first game, as it was my absolute first rpg experience. Yes the english was simplified and a light sword was called a "lght swd" but I didn`t care. It was a great game. I must have hired that game from the video store a good 50 times. Always trying to beat the damn game but never managed to.

I decided to sit down and put all my free time into beating the game last year and FINALLY BEAT IT. That was very satisfying. Then I went to play the 2nd game and ABSOLUTELY HATED IT. Had a totally different feel to the 1st game, combat was different, dungeon view was completely gone and replaced with the traditional top down view :(. Music wasnt too bad though.

Anyways about this translation. Theres only 1 thing and 1 thing only that I hate about it. And thats that their sticking to the Japanese names and not the ones that you and I grew up with. Their also refusing to offer 2 separate patches. Why they couldn`t have an english names version and a japanese names one is beyond me. One of the planet names will be having a name change also (Motavia will become Motabia or something similar) dispite the fact that the planets name is the same in the english versions of all of the games. And worst of all Odin`s name becomes some terrible gay name "Tairon" and the main bad guys name is going to be changed from "Lassic" to "LaShiec".

As much as I would love to see a far more fleshed out english version of the game I for one wont be downloading it due to the above reasons.

Grave Wisdom

• The Gaming Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 12:18:44 am »
The LaShiec and Lutz I can live with. They called Noah that in PS2 and 4 anyway, it'll fix some continuity. But Odin should stay Odin. That sounds a hell of a lot cooler than Tyrone if you ask me. The planet names I could go either way with, since they changed the english translations every game. I can't wait to see this get released!  ;D

Dais

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 02:04:01 am »
Anyways about this translation. Theres only 1 thing and 1 thing only that I hate about it. And thats that their sticking to the Japanese names and not the ones that you and I grew up with. Their also refusing to offer 2 separate patches. Why they couldn`t have an english names version and a japanese names one is beyond me. One of the planet names will be having a name change also (Motavia will become Motabia or something similar) dispite the fact that the planets name is the same in the english versions of all of the games. And worst of all Odin`s name becomes some terrible gay name "Tairon" and the main bad guys name is going to be changed from "Lassic" to "LaShiec".

Do you even speak English?

As much as I would love to see a far more fleshed out english version of the game I for one wont be downloading it due to the above reasons.

OH GOD NO PLEASE ANYTHING BUT THAT
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,8794.0.html
Rule number 7: Don't post private messages ever, even from zero-post members who send you images of mutilated genitalia or from mods who warn you that you will be banned
NOTE: Violation of invisible rule 7 can warrant a ban

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 03:44:20 am »
icemann, the name of this site is Romhacking.net, go read some documents, download a hex editor, and fix it yourself. It's a basic text hack, you shouldn't have any troubles, the changed names are either the same length or longer than the originals, meaning you won't even have to touch the pointers if you don't want to.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006, 10:54:09 am »
He can go to the 'Getting Started' section if he's completely new.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations