News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Need help with translation on snes classic  (Read 3197 times)

Zeldafan87

• View Profile
Need help with translation on snes classic
« on: February 14, 2020, 11:51:22 am »
I've been messing around with roms on the snes classic for a little while now so I checked into fan translations and found this site...

Anyways I looked into how to add translations to the roms using lunar ips and tush and I get a black screen when I boot the rom, all other roms work fine and double checked the original rom and plays fine.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Need help with translation on snes classic
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 04:10:16 pm »
What translation and does the patched game work on a PC emulator?

In general some translations can be made such that they only work with flawed emulators, they can also be made to do things that bad emulators (like those of the SNES classic -- http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25789.0 ) will not handle but real hardware and good emulators will.

For specifics then yeah we can't help much without knowing what game.

Zeldafan87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 11:00:51 am »
The fan translations that I was trying to use were the recently released Goemon 2 and 3

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 11:13:12 am »
You didn't say if the patched ROMs worked on a PC emulator like bsnes/higan. As far as we know, you probably did something wrong with the patching, but you need to tell us exactly what you did. Literally, step by step. Lunar IPS is super easy to use, so we'll need to know what you're doing.

Zeldafan87

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 12:31:45 pm »
It did not work no bsnes emulator it said game loaded and just a black screen. These arethe steps I followed
https://snesclassicmods.com/how-to-patch-roms-for-snes-classic-mini/

Isao Kronos

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 01:35:04 am »
The problem is on your end somewhere, the Canoe Compatibility List says they run fine.
will hackrom for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 01:53:56 pm »
Well there's a strange thing in that guide: they tell you to add a header to the ROM. Why? You don't always need a header on the ROM - in fact, for most patches you should be using an unheadered ROM, so telling people to add one is stupid. Just unzip the patch to get your .ips file, then use Lunar IPS to patch the ROM (don't forget to make a copy of the ROM in case you screw it up). It should play without issue then.

coolman_ness

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 07:07:12 am »
Hello there,
 I'm doing a research for the college about videogame translation. About how is done, which tools are used... Is there any professional videogame translator who can contact with me?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 09:42:06 am »
Hello there,
 I'm doing a research for the college about videogame translation. About how is done, which tools are used... Is there any professional videogame translator who can contact with me?
Why are you asking about this in a random unrelated thread from three weeks ago..?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2020, 05:31:21 pm »
Hello there,
Ignoring the bump and wrong thread thing.

There might be some official translation types lurking here, or picked up from here, but for the most part this site is all about unofficial translations. This is to say without any kind of permission, source code or assistance from the official developers. The tools, techniques and approaches all then being radically different to how 99% of official translations get conducted and that 1% is likely to have been more back in the NES era where some poor dev would have been given a ROM and had to hack things rather than be told what was what (though some of the emulator rereleases/first releases outside Japan sort of thing might have seen the need for some hacker approaches).

A really good link for the official translations covering lots of things including tools, how it often goes down, what failures can happen in the process and more though is
https://www.loekalization.com/