BS Marvelous - Time Athletic & Camp Arnold Translation (Help Needed)

Started by LuigiBlood, February 14, 2020, 04:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LuigiBlood

Hi, I believe this is the first personal project that I seriously post on this site.

After playing the translation patch from tashi and DackR of the main Marvelous game, I felt like I needed more.
So I started to see how feasible it would be to make a translation of BS Marvelous Time Athletic & Camp Arnold, Course 1 to 4.

Turns out I had fairly good results so far using the tools and some of the works that DackR has done:



Currently I have only looked at Time Athletic Course 1, but the others seems to be similarly done.

While I've translated some graphics on my own because of how simple it was, this project is a huge undertaking in the long run, and I will need help:

  • Translating the script of all courses may be the easiest part, I already figured out the kanjis and script dump and reinsertion, but I will need a japanese translator / editor.

    • EDIT: It turns out all Time Athletic ROMs and all Camp Arnold ROMs share the same script data with each other. Translating one ROM of each will translate the others as well.
  • Just like BS Legend of Zelda, it uses the radio as part of the game. I will also need help on that, particularly a transcription, translation and voice actors.
  • And then the intro, end results screen and ending are not dumped as they were in the BS-X PSRAM and lost on power off. These will need to be remade and will need pixel artist experts.

The undertaking for me is that I never really worked on a project like this before that might require a bigger team. I will try to manage this the best I could.
At the moment I'm planning to do the assembly code hacks and may work on VWF (which sounds like it will be reusable for the main game & Camp Arnold). However I'm still fine to get help on that part.

The release format that I hope to have should be the following:

  • A Satellaview compatible release, with a patch for each different course, with a bootable BS-X PSRAM intro/ending remake and audio files.
  • A MSU1 standalone patch. I do not know how feasible it would be to have all 4 parts in one ROM.

The plan is also to have the translation project open source, and hopefully can easily be built.

The current source can be found here:
https://github.com/LuigiBlood/Translate/tree/master/SNES/Marvelous

PowerPanda

This is awesome, but if I might make 1 request. The BS-Zelda AST project had a version with normal music and a text banner at the bottom with the audio script. This made the game playable on pretty much any emulator... smartphone, PSP, 3DS... even the SNES Classic. If you are ABLE to manage that within project scope, it would be the version that I use.

LuigiBlood

Quote from: PowerPanda on February 14, 2020, 09:37:08 AM
This is awesome, but if I might make 1 request. The BS-Zelda AST project had a version with normal music and a text banner at the bottom with the audio script. This made the game playable on pretty much any emulator... smartphone, PSP, 3DS... even the SNES Classic. If you are ABLE to manage that within project scope, it would be the version that I use.
I'll think about it more seriously when I will make the standalone version. But the scope that I have is something close to what was on Satellaview, preferably.
It also depends on the usefulness of the soundlink audio which I have currently no idea about.

February 17, 2020, 04:56:07 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

So here's an update:
A translator has offered me help for later, but I would still like to find some more to help verify and also discuss the translation.

In the meantime, I haven't been slacking off:


I have been busy trying to implement my first variable width font hack I've ever done so far on SNES.
This is not quite stable yet, but the basics seem to work. So we might be able to fit more text in there in the future :)

LuigiBlood

I want to give a bit of an update this by showing these new screenshots:


The text on the left screenshot is supposed to be hires as well, but it seems I hit a specific condition in bsnes-plus v05 to appear in lores instead.
The translation hasn't started yet so this is all placeholder text for testing purposes.

The Variable Width Font hack is getting stable, I took a short look at the code in the main SNES game and it's pretty much the same and therefore I should be able to adapt the same VWF hack to the main game.

I started to make the code more stable and optimized to an extent, and because I do not want my work to go to waste in case this translation does not go anywhere, the source code is available here, feel free to use this VWF code if you want but the code is still kind of terrible:
https://github.com/LuigiBlood/Translate/blob/master/SNES/Marvelous/Time%20Athletic/vwf.asm

The macros are missing but their use case should be obvious.

I have a translator, but I'm still interested to find another japanese to english translator just to be able to give the extra push to the quality of the translation by having a second pass. I would also be interested to find an editor to fix mistakes and also to have a way with better wording if needed.