News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: English Translation of Yu Yu Hakusho NES Fighter Released  (Read 3377 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Pennywise

After spending years on the back burner, Pennywise et al present another completed translation for the NES fighter Yu Yu Hakusho: Dark Tournament Rumble.

As usual, great care has been taken to present this translation in the best possible way with super long names of Shishiwakamaru and Sword of the Darkness Flame displaying no problem.

Also of note is that Pennywise discovered a debug mode in the game, but couldn't quite determine if it could still be triggered, so he included a hack where it can be accessed from the title screen.

As for the game itself, you might think that an NES fighter is a bad idea based on the obvious limitations of the system, but TOSE appears to have a decent job on the game. It's not kusoge, but it's also not a masterpiece and is certainly of interest to fans of the anime/manga.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

kaiisen

• View Profile
Re: Translations: English Translation of Yu Yu Hakusho NES Fighter Released
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 11:03:25 pm »
I never knew there's a Yu Yu Hakusho game for NES. I got really surprised by it's controls, which are very smooth for a NES fighting game. The sprites are nice too. Really cool! I'm gonna do a full playthrough to see how the story goes in this game. Thank you :woot!:

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 03:39:54 am »
Gratz, man.

maximo806

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 11:21:52 am »
it's kind of amazing for a yuyu hakusho game to be on the nes during the 90's even though there's already 4 yuyu hakusho games for the SNES still it's a lovely addition to the yuyu hakusho game franchise, all we need now is the zenki and yuyu hakusho snes games translated and it's all good from here.

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 08:50:03 pm »
Amazing!  Thanks a lot to Pennywise and the crew :thumbsup:

noneother

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 01:16:38 am »
Interesting choice of game to translate. I didn't expect a DATACH game to get a fan translation, but it's pretty nice to see. There are some cool-looking game Yu Yu Hakusho games that would be great to see in English too. http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/series/yu-yu-hakusho-franchise-overview/. I'm especially interested in the Genesis adventure game and the Game Boy RPG/platformer/beat-'em-up mix.

BTW, if people are interested in seeing what playing this game with the cards was like, I know there was a list of codes on gamefaqs that you can enter via an emulator that handles the DATACH accessory for the same result as if you'd scanned the code from the card.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 11:58:19 am »
The reason why nobody has translated a Datach game until now is probably because all the graphics are compressed. Combined with the fact that the Datach games are pretty obscure. Bright side is that I'm pretty sure all the games are mostly the same code-wise, so any potential work could be carried over to other games if I decided to look into it.

kaiisen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 02:49:28 am »
Interesting choice of game to translate. I didn't expect a DATACH game to get a fan translation, but it's pretty nice to see. There are some cool-looking game Yu Yu Hakusho games that would be great to see in English too. http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/series/yu-yu-hakusho-franchise-overview/. I'm especially interested in the Genesis adventure game and the Game Boy RPG/platformer/beat-'em-up mix.

BTW, if people are interested in seeing what playing this game with the cards was like, I know there was a list of codes on gamefaqs that you can enter via an emulator that handles the DATACH accessory for the same result as if you'd scanned the code from the card.

Yeah, would be awesome to see Yu Yu Hakusho: Tokubetsu Hen (SNES) translated as well.