News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Rocket Knight Adventures Megadrive How to edit text?  (Read 2981 times)

groomery

• View Profile
Rocket Knight Adventures Megadrive How to edit text?
« on: June 13, 2018, 08:28:19 am »
I want to translate the English text in Rocket Knight adventures. I havent done this Before but i know i need to Decompress the rom with this utility? https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1029/
How do i find the text? and when i shall decompress what offset shall i use? Any help is much apreciated! :woot!: :woot!: :woot!:

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
Re: Rocket Knight Adventures Megadrive How to edit text?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 01:44:26 pm »
This TCRF article mentions an offset of  0x52FE for some (unused) strings: https://tcrf.net/Rocket_Knight_Adventures

You should be able to use that as a starting point for create the character table, and once you have that, you should be able to find the rest of the text.

groomery

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 03:27:37 pm »
Thanks but how do i do that? I used the program to decompress and wrote 0x52FE as the ofset. Then i get this https://imgur.com/a/tfXJBdb what shall i do next? im a neebie:(

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

groomery

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 06:43:26 am »
I have found some nfo thru the emulator gensKMod_073 [Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/Mi4uG9y.png)
 Letter A is 0x0021. I have done tables with NES roms before but what program can i use with Megadrive roms?

can i use TBLater? and what hexprogram i compatible with that? Thanks

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 08:32:30 am »
If that's the text encoding, then yeah, TBLater should work as a table maker.
I searched for 33 34 21 32 34 (The encoding for START) and was able to change it, so looks like the encoding's right for that.

You'll want to fix the checksum whenever you make an edit so the ROM will still run; you can use this program to do so. Good luck!

wave

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 09:15:29 am »
Last week I released a translation and there are two tables (one for the end of the stage and another for everything else).
You can download my project here:
https://github.com/sewave/translations/tree/master/smd/rocketknightadventuressmd
Just put the rom with the same name (Rocket Knight Adventures (U) [!].gen), change the tr_ files (replacing the spanish translation) and hit "3.insert.bat" and will generate the translated rom (and fix the checksum).

groomery

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 04:18:22 am »
If that's the text encoding, then yeah, TBLater should work as a table maker.
I searched for 33 34 21 32 34 (The encoding for START) and was able to change it, so looks like the encoding's right for that.

You'll want to fix the checksum whenever you make an edit so the ROM will still run; you can use this program to do so. Good luck!
Did you decompress the rom first? how do i decompress the whole game with lzkn2_comp

June 15, 2018, 05:53:23 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Did you decompress the rom first? how do i decompress the whole game with lzkn2_comp
Thanks will try that, but i want to learn how to do it also....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 05:53:23 am by groomery »

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 08:52:44 am »
groomery: No, I actually just edited the ROM directly with a Hex Editor. The US version doesn't seem to be compressed, only encoded with a character table like what you found.

wave did a Spanish translation of the game, and released his tools in the post right above yours. To repeat what he said:
Download all the files he posted here, add your ROM to the same folder, then change all the Spanish phrases in tr_rocketknightadventuressmd.ext to whatever language you want to use, and run 3.insert.bat to create the patch.

Edit: Ah, you meant to reply to his message but quoted your own, my mistake.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 08:59:54 am by USC »

J^P

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 09:17:18 am »
Now groomery is just confused, I dont know where you got the idea in the first place but in this case you dont need to decompress anything.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 09:29:46 am »
J^P: Probably from the description of the tool they linked, which states that Rocket Knight Adventures uses Konami LZ Compression. There's differences between the US, EU, and JPN versions of the game, so one of the others may use compression, but the US version at least doesn't.

tepman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 11:54:29 am »
Last week I released a translation and there are two tables (one for the end of the stage and another for everything else).
You can download my project here:
https://github.com/sewave/translations/tree/master/smd/rocketknightadventuressmd
Just put the rom with the same name (Rocket Knight Adventures (U) [!].gen), change the tr_ files (replacing the spanish translation) and hit "3.insert.bat" and will generate the translated rom (and fix the checksum).

Thank you, sir. I was looking for this.