News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translating Dragon Quest XI 3ds  (Read 720 times)

nesssnightmare

• View Profile
Translating Dragon Quest XI 3ds
« on: February 09, 2020, 10:45:35 am »
Hi guys. New member but long time lurker. I've done some minor rom editing for personal use in the past but nothing major. I've taken an interest in hacking and possibly translating DQXI for 3ds.

I read through the beginners guide posted here as well as a couple other tutorials for translating. They described opening a rom, choosing a line or word of dialogue, doing a relative search to make a table file and then redrawing the font graphics in English and creating another table file for English then using both table files in order to begin translating.

So far all of this makes sense to me. The progress that i've made so far is to dump the script files, of which there are many, and begin opening them up in crystaltile to try to run relative searches. Thats where I am getting stuck. I can run the search but it doesn't find anything despite trying many different words.

I have tried the same relative searches on multiple of the script (.pack) files but they turn up empty as well. Some of the files are named fieldcom.pack, syscom.pack, battlecom.pack. I have spent most of my time fiddling with these because the file names seem to point to menu content, which I want to focus on translating first, and because all of the other script files are named with letter/number combinations (such as b101-1a.pack) which doesn't provide any indication which part of the script they may be.

Tl;Dr
I'm trying to make table files for DQXI 3ds to start translating the menus but I cant find anything with my relative searches.

aqualung

• View Profile
Re: Translating Dragon Quest XI 3ds
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 12:56:38 pm »
You have my full support here, man. I still didn't know of any serious attempt of translating the 3DS version of DQXI up to date. I've been looking forward to play the 16 bit mode of this game since Squenix decided not to translate it (I don't own a Switch nor can afford one for only a game). I'm sorry I cannot help you with any hacking or technical related matter, but if you need someone to double check any translated text (I can read some basic Japanese as well) I can offer my help if that might speed up the project.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 04:57:09 pm by aqualung »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Translating Dragon Quest XI 3ds
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 03:49:43 pm »
Hi guys. New member but long time lurker. I've done some minor rom editing for personal use in the past but nothing major. I've taken an interest in hacking and possibly translating DQXI for 3ds.

Your enthusiasm is nice, but surely you realize that for a game as tremendously popular as DQXI, other people have already made attempts?  I expect there are already people working on it in earnest, but trying to keep it quiet to avoid drama or possible legal trouble from Square-Enix.  (The job is somewhat easier in this case since at least the English scripts from other versions have been dumped.)

Quickly looking through some of the threads over at GBAtemp suggests that the script is compressed, so a relative search won't do you any good unless you can decompress the scripts first.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!