News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: GodHands (Vagrant Story Editor)  (Read 1364 times)

Valendian

• View Profile
GodHands (Vagrant Story Editor)
« on: February 08, 2020, 02:01:32 pm »
I'm currently working on a level editor for Vagrant Story called GodHands. It's very much a work in progress, but its finally at a usable state. I'll post some progress as things happen. I usually set some time aside over the weekends.

GodHands is open source and if you would like to contribute in any way please get in touch. I'd appreciate beta tester feedback, bug reports and development contributions.

Features
Edit Enemies, Equipment and Treasure Chests
Export / Import data (either the entire enemy or just the skills)
Export texture maps from the rooms in TIM/PNG/BMP format
Built in Disk Tool which let's you resize/relocate files (which CDMage doesn't allow)
The DiskTool also allows you to export files

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

Morinis

• View Profile
Re: GodHands (Vagrant Story Editor)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 06:38:33 pm »
An actual editor for Vagrant Story on the PS1?  Think I'm going to feint.  No, seriously.  This is awesome stuff!

Gives me an opportunity to mess with a PS1 game in the future  :beer:

Hope for character edits/modifications as well  :crazy:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK5S3RZCjv0O6FmXlSgmHXg

"If you get offended by my honesty then re-evaluate your hobbies on here."

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 10:47:36 pm »
The classic Vagrant Story hacker is back again with an editor? Fantastic! I would love to try and help you with this, if time allows. Resizing and reallocating files is an amazing idea, as you noted, CDMage doesn't allow that.

cralso

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 10:00:14 am »
Could be nice if possible edit game text, making this a tool to translate the Vagrant Story too.
It is a pity that Square forgot this game, it would be very nice to see a port or remake for pc of this title.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 11:37:47 am »
This is awesome! What a game this is! Would be awesome to make some hacks with it.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Valendian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 05:39:36 pm »
Thanks for all the support, I really appreciate it.

I do hope to support translations and have already made some progress on this front (equipment, misc items and characters). My priority is supporting the needs of the users. So if you want something done then make some noise. I already have these on the to do list and will happily bump them to the top.

While I'm on the topic, I've had to refrain from doing the 3d viewer thing, because it soaks up so much time. This time was spent instead on features that modders need.

Disk editor is fairly robust now. You can drag to export. And soon will be able to add new files/folders. I am tempted to release this as a separate tool.

4lorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 06:27:09 pm »
Let me chime in with more support - this is great news :) I know some people who have been waiting for something like this for years, now. And if it can also facilitate translations, even better!

Pezito

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 06:20:16 am »
Anything Vagrant Story is good news to me! :thumbsup:

I've been wanting to try and upscale the game, I mean with texture replacements like some emulators allow, but I know it to be mostly impossible because the PS1 used bastardized 2D/3D techniques and had so few RAM and such... Other than a HD remaster/remake, I wouldn't want to mess with the game's graphics since they were so perfectly coherent. But to try and remake them in HD, sure!

Anyway. I'm curious to see what other people will think of as to what your tool can do. Thanks for your work. :)

the_E_y_Es

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 05:49:25 pm »
I see you mentioned me in the github page. Thanks. But I think you've been hacking Vagrant Story for longer than myself; what is it, 10 years or so? You're a beast, dude.

Today I was checking your work on the MPD enemy string. Great job there. I have some suggestions.

For byte 0F (Direction): in the explanation box, instead of "can be north/south/east/west", maybe add the meaning of each number, like this:

00=south/01=west/02=north/03=east

A slight change to the labels of bytes 07, 0A and 0B:  "Locale" to "Local", if you don't mind.

It's great that you added drop-down lists for the bytes responsible for item drops. Saves a lot of time looking stuff up at Datacrystal. It's all pretty easy to understand.

On the topic of saving time, maybe add the room names to the MPDs. Like "Room of Rotten Grapes", "The Gallows" and so on. Would make them more recognizable IMO.

So yah, good job with the enemy string overall. I appreciate it man.

Also if you release DiskTool separately, do keep it as part of Godhands as well. I want my all-in-one Vagrant Story editor plz.

Later today I'm going to expand Iron Maiden B2 (ZONE056.ZND), and also some of the .ZUDs there. If you look at my patch I already got 10 free sectors between LBA 25255 and LBA 25265. Gonna use those for my changes; I'll try using DiskTool to move and resize the files. I'll let you know how that goes.

Pezito

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 01:40:08 pm »
Sorry for the noob question but I'm curious: are you like looking for unused sectors in the disc image so you can make room for additional data without messing up the game?

Also I have a question for you @Valendian: do you think it would be possible to export 3D meshes from VS? I've been trying to, many years ago, but without coding skills all I could do was try to use some modified D3D9 dll to dump some stuff... But all I got was textures, no models. The monsters (dragons especially) were so badass, I wanted to collect and study them. xD

the_E_y_Es

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 05:41:34 pm »
Sorry for the noob question but I'm curious: are you like looking for unused sectors in the disc image so you can make room for additional data without messing up the game?

Yes, exactly. There are plenty of unused sectors, it's just a matter of organizing/moving stuff around.

@Valendian: didn't have much luck with DiskTool. I tried moving ZONE056.ZND from LBA 25265 to LBA 25255. I got the same error as last time: not enough space. My guess is there's some kind of operation that TOC changer performs that DiskTool is currently missing. Anyway I expanded IMB2 and a couple of .ZUDs there as well.

Valendian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 02:42:51 am »
@The_E_y_es: I think TOC blindly changes the file size and doesn't care if data overlaps. While DiskTool will not allow you to overlap two files, which is intentional. But you have already emptied out this space? Then there must be a bug somewhere and I will track it down immediately. This is a good time for this work since many things are blocked until files can be resized automatically (with automatic LBA fixup).

EDIT:
Hi The_E_y_es. I opened an issue to track this bug:
  https://github.com/collinsmichael/GodHands/issues/1
In the near future all file resizing/relocating will be handled automatically when using the main editor (no need to burden a user with these tasks) but DiskTool will continue to provide manual access if needed.

@Pezito: Yes export/import to standard 3D format is coming soon. Perhaps you can give me some advice. Can you suggest a 3D format that has these features
1) Simple (ideally text based)
2) Animations
3) Gouraud Shaded Polygons (used for baked in lighting)

If I go with OBJ format I don't have animations. Also Gouraud shading is nice to have but not essential.

@The_E_y_es
Bugfix has been released. Problem was related to self-intersection.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 06:35:22 am by Valendian »

the_E_y_Es

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2020, 07:54:55 am »
@The_E_y_es
Bugfix has been released. Problem was related to self-intersection.

Awesome. Can you hook me up with the new build?

Valendian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 08:28:50 am »
Try this link
https://github.com/collinsmichael/GodHands/blob/master/Releases/GodHands-0-2-2.zip?raw=true

or this
https://github.com/collinsmichael/GodHands/tree/master/Releases

V0.2.3 fixes some issues (available in the bottom link)
Weapon Stats are now computed (Blade+Grip+Gems)
Equipment Parameters were messed up
Mpd Enemies cleaned up a little
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 10:47:13 am by Valendian »

the_E_y_Es

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2020, 09:35:23 am »
Got it. Thanks!

Pezito

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2020, 09:08:32 am »
@Pezito: Yes export/import to standard 3D format is coming soon. Perhaps you can give me some advice. Can you suggest a 3D format that has these features
1) Simple (ideally text based)
2) Animations
3) Gouraud Shaded Polygons (used for baked in lighting)

If I go with OBJ format I don't have animations. Also Gouraud shading is nice to have but not essential.

FBX is probably the most common export/import 3D file format in graphics pipelines, I use it myself. It can be either binary or ASCII so I guess that makes it easier to work with? It does support animations, bones, vertex colors (which were used by most games on PSX to achieve fake shading and use less textures). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBX

Otherwise you could try Collada (extension .DAE) which uses XML formatting; it's less common but still supported by most 3D tools, and it supports animations and vertex colors too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COLLADA

I hope this helps. :)