News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Question about translations on real hardware.  (Read 1012 times)

Tobas

• Need a Spanish translator? I'm your man.
    • View Profile
Question about translations on real hardware.
« on: February 11, 2020, 03:37:31 pm »
So I have a Twin Famicom and a pretty good library of disk system stuff. One of my games Dead Zone is unfortunately not Dead Zone (probably rewritten at some point), so a friend of mine is lending me his rewriter to put the correct game on the disk.

So my question is, will a patched image rewritten back onto the disk work on the hardware? because if so, I would like to patch my copy of esper dream as well as dead zone.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 03:43:51 pm by Tobas »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Question about translations on real hardware.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 04:11:16 pm »
I don't know if very many people have tested it.
But if it's possible to rewrite a commercial game to a FDS disk through unofficial means, I don't see how writing a patched game would be any different, other than that the mods themselves would be untested.

I know there is a device to allow a PC to connect to Famicom Disk System RAM Adapter to allow the PC to function as an emulator for the disk drive itself, though I believe it requires building a custom cable so it probably hasn't been tested as widely either. Though on a Twin Famicom, that would only be applicable to an external RAM Adapter in the cartridge slot, and not the internal FDS.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Tobas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 04:26:23 pm »
physical cartridges that get patched seem to work fine in my experience so I'm hoping this will have a similar result. I'd love to talk to someone who has actually done it though.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 03:46:18 am »
So your friend has a disk rewriter, that allows you to write .fds files to disks? Awesome, just try a patched game and see. If it doesn't work, try another one.

Really, if you have the chance to test it for yourself, I'm not sure why you need to ask us. :D In fact, we'd be more interested in your results, since I've never heard of people playing patched FDS games on real hardware. Come to think of it, you can try one of my translations, since I'm always keen to know how they run on hardware. ;)

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/3337/

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 09:52:08 am »
I think I read something that FDS disks can't actually store the entire 128kb on the disk. I think it might be similar to storage space on a hard drive where you have 2GB storage, but only 1.98GB is available or something. I believe there are few translations that expand the disk past that point and they don't work on hardware.

Will Dead Zone work? I did expand the disk, but I didn't go crazy, so it might still work.

Tobas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 12:50:23 pm »
I'm not sure how it works exactly, I'll find out this weekend. I will report back though.

February 12, 2020, 12:51:00 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
So your friend has a disk rewriter, that allows you to write .fds files to disks? Awesome, just try a patched game and see. If it doesn't work, try another one.

Really, if you have the chance to test it for yourself, I'm not sure why you need to ask us. :D In fact, we'd be more interested in your results, since I've never heard of people playing patched FDS games on real hardware. Come to think of it, you can try one of my translations, since I'm always keen to know how they run on hardware. ;)

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/3337/

I don't own that game sadly but I will definitely be testing Dead Zone!