Hi guys. New member but long time lurker. I've done some minor rom editing for personal use in the past but nothing major. I've taken an interest in hacking and possibly translating DQXI for 3ds.
I read through the beginners guide posted here as well as a couple other tutorials for translating. They described opening a rom, choosing a line or word of dialogue, doing a relative search to make a table file and then redrawing the font graphics in English and creating another table file for English then using both table files in order to begin translating.
So far all of this makes sense to me. The progress that i've made so far is to dump the script files, of which there are many, and begin opening them up in crystaltile to try to run relative searches. Thats where I am getting stuck. I can run the search but it doesn't find anything despite trying many different words.
I have tried the same relative searches on multiple of the script (.pack) files but they turn up empty as well. Some of the files are named fieldcom.pack, syscom.pack, battlecom.pack. I have spent most of my time fiddling with these because the file names seem to point to menu content, which I want to focus on translating first, and because all of the other script files are named with letter/number combinations (such as b101-1a.pack) which doesn't provide any indication which part of the script they may be.
I'm trying to make table files for DQXI 3ds to start translating the menus but I cant find anything with my relative searches.