News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mortal Kombat SNES blood + gore hack / uncensored.  (Read 13245 times)

hackedretrogaming

• View Profile
Re: Mortal Kombat SNES blood + gore hack / uncensored.
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2020, 04:19:34 am »
I haven't replied back, but the IPS here are the latest ones. I don't know the exact address of where Kano's heart sprite tile was. I found them through trial and error manually going through each and every tile in TLP. I was able to tell visually what were Kano's sprites in TLP. His projectiles are pretty visible in the game.

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2020, 09:01:50 am »
I haven't replied back, but the IPS here are the latest ones. I don't know the exact address of where Kano's heart sprite tile was. I found them through trial and error manually going through each and every tile in TLP. I was able to tell visually what were Kano's sprites in TLP. His projectiles are pretty visible in the game.
The patch makes the game run at 50Hz. Can it be fixed?

Also, would it be possible for this patch to be compatible with this other one? It unlocks every secret character. Both patches coexisting would be great to have a decent complete MK1 edition.
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4812/

Ray572

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2020, 02:38:11 am »
Apparently it doesn't work with both patches, I tried every possible match without results.
It would be great to have this uncensored version with the champion edition.

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2020, 01:38:11 pm »
Apparently it doesn't work with both patches, I tried every possible match without results.
It would be great to have this uncensored version with the champion edition.
Yep, a much needed refresh for the classic on the snes.

hackedretrogaming

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2020, 08:02:17 am »
Announcement!
I decided to play around with the game again and I am transferring my original edits done to the PAL version of the game to a proper NTSC build. I will post up an IPS very soon again. Also I was able to transfer all my edits to the Championship Edition if anyone is interested in that. Sorry for the long wait and reply. I rarely use RHDN.

Ray572

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2020, 12:48:00 pm »
Announcement!
I decided to play around with the game again and I am transferring my original edits done to the PAL version of the game to a proper NTSC build. I will post up an IPS very soon again. Also I was able to transfer all my edits to the Championship Edition if anyone is interested in that. Sorry for the long wait and reply. I rarely use RHDN.

Great, Mortal kombat by snes will finally be more than decent to play, thanks for reaching out to this rom  :beer:

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2020, 03:01:50 pm »
Announcement!

Awesome!
This will be close to a definitive version of Mortal Kombat 1 on consoles.
I can't stand the awful graphics and sound of the Genesis port, I always preferred the SNES one, even if it didn't have blood or the fatalities.

With that said, there's still the possibility to restore Kano's fatality if we can manage to find the heart sprite, and slightly tweak Kano's palette/graphics to have a proper red colour for the heart only.
I documented a bit of this here:
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=30001.msg391376#msg391376

However I couldn't find the exact heart tile, nor the palette in the ROM.
If someone can help with that, that'd be amazing.

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2020, 10:57:51 pm »
Announcement!
Awesome. I hope you can consider compatibility with the Champion Edition patch for the Ultimate Mortal Kombat I  :beer:

hackedretrogaming

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2020, 11:06:25 pm »
Alright everyone, here is a test IPS patch. I'm using other people's romhack IPS patches but I want to give credit where credit is due. I'm just trying to build the ultimate Mortal Kombat 1 SNES experience for everyone and myself included. I tested the rom for a few hours, I was able to transfer all my edits on the uncensored hack from a PAL build to an NTSC build. Build will run perfectly on mortalkombat(U).smc

IPS: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8dnk3a6nynthjkn/Mortal_Kombat_Champion_Edition_Uncensored.ips/file

Champion Edition features (play as Goro, Reptile, Shang Tsung) - hack belonging to Snark-4918
patched up with Docrow's Blood and easy move rom hack (makes gameplay a lot smoother in my opinion)
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3998/
along with my uncensored edits (restoring the words FATALITY instead of Finishing Bonus, RAIDEN instead of RAYDEN, slightly adding little more blood graphics and sprites, original chest wound/open gash FATALITY graphics)

I can also create a Vanilla patch, at the moment I will try to tighten up any possible blood graphics and textures and maybe attempt editing the Pit Bottom. Also I will try to find out the exact location of Kano's heart rip sprite. I know exactly visually where Kano's graphics are, however that heart sprite seems to be a very compressed graphic tile in the games graphics bank.

Screenshots:

So try out the build and let me know what you all think.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 11:18:26 pm by hackedretrogaming »

stratoform

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2020, 11:59:49 pm »
Out of curiosity, I played a bit with the debugger.

Final 8x16 heart is stored as two compressed parts.
-- 1c9937 + 1ecd37

Decoder at 988310.

It's helpful to use bsnes-debugger cpu breakpoint at decoder spot. Then use Tile Viewer to watch the ram at 7f2200 S-CPU bus and you'll see the tiles refresh.

hackedretrogaming

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2020, 12:35:14 am »
Out of curiosity, I played a bit with the debugger.

-- 1c9937 + 1ecd37

Decoder at 988310.

It's helpful to use bsnes-debugger cpu breakpoint at decoder spot. Then use Tile Viewer to watch the ram at 7f2200 S-CPU bus and you'll see the tiles refresh.

Many thanks, this will be very useful to me. I am not too familiar with SNES romhacking. NES is what I usually work on.

July 02, 2020, 12:38:39 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Great, Mortal kombat by snes will finally be more than decent to play, thanks for reaching out to this rom  :beer:

Already posted a build based on the Champ edition with a few more tweaks. NTSC rom compatible.

July 02, 2020, 12:40:38 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Awesome!
This will be close to a definitive version of Mortal Kombat 1 on consoles.
I can't stand the awful graphics and sound of the Genesis port, I always preferred the SNES one, even if it didn't have blood or the fatalities.

With that said, there's still the possibility to restore Kano's fatality if we can manage to find the heart sprite, and slightly tweak Kano's palette/graphics to have a proper red colour for the heart only.
I documented a bit of this here:
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=30001.msg391376#msg391376

However I couldn't find the exact heart tile, nor the palette in the ROM.
If someone can help with that, that'd be amazing.

Same, I always felt the SNES felt closer to the arcade.

Also thanks to stratoform -
-- 1c9937 + 1ecd37

Decoder at 988310.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 12:40:38 am by hackedretrogaming »

Ray572

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2020, 02:29:45 pm »
I do not know if it happens to others but when I play with goro or reptile the emulator gets stuck, I use snes9x or BizHawk with kernel of the same snes9x and in both cases they get stuck. But finish the game no problem with scorpion.

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2020, 10:09:23 pm »
Alright everyone, here is a test IPS patch. I'm using other people's romhack IPS patches but I want to give credit where credit is due. I'm just trying to build the ultimate Mortal Kombat 1 SNES experience for everyone and myself included. I tested the rom for a few hours, I was able to transfer all my edits on the uncensored hack from a PAL build to an NTSC build. Build will run perfectly on mortalkombat(U).smc

IPS: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8dnk3a6nynthjkn/Mortal_Kombat_Champion_Edition_Uncensored.ips/file

Champion Edition features (play as Goro, Reptile, Shang Tsung) - hack belonging to Snark-4918
patched up with Docrow's Blood and easy move rom hack (makes gameplay a lot smoother in my opinion)
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3998/
along with my uncensored edits (restoring the words FATALITY instead of Finishing Bonus, RAIDEN instead of RAYDEN, slightly adding little more blood graphics and sprites, original chest wound/open gash FATALITY graphics)

I can also create a Vanilla patch, at the moment I will try to tighten up any possible blood graphics and textures and maybe attempt editing the Pit Bottom. Also I will try to find out the exact location of Kano's heart rip sprite. I know exactly visually where Kano's graphics are, however that heart sprite seems to be a very compressed graphic tile in the games graphics bank.

Screenshots:

So try out the build and let me know what you all think.
Very nice hack, the best version yet of MK1 is here! Just a disclaimer for those that will apply the ips, the patch expects a headered ROM. Not compatible with Mortal Kombat (USA) (Rev 1) or the MSU-1 patch.
https://www.zeldix.net/t1663-mortal-kombat

I do not know if it happens to others but when I play with goro or reptile the emulator gets stuck, I use snes9x or BizHawk with kernel of the same snes9x and in both cases they get stuck. But finish the game no problem with scorpion.
Can confirm the emulator crash. Snes9x 1.60.

Ray572

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2020, 02:28:44 pm »
Can confirm the emulator crash. Snes9x 1.60.

It also crashed with snes9x-x64 1.60, it was with 1.58 and it froze with that one.

hackedretrogaming

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2020, 02:25:56 am »
It also crashed with snes9x-x64 1.60, it was with 1.58 and it froze with that one.

I will do more testing on the rom again. I think I know what might be causing the crash. I think the blood patch might be crashing it so I will just re-do it in hex. I will just re-import the graphical changes I made again in case I imported something wrong.