News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Playstation 1 games, please gimme some recommendations  (Read 6967 times)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Playstation 1 games, please gimme some recommendations
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2020, 06:43:37 pm »
If you plan on playing that game, play on Redream (Dreamcast) emulator instead.
Why not the Windows version?  Currently available on GOG for all of $1.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2020, 12:45:36 am »
Armored Core: You pilot a giant robot and take missions to blow stuff up.  That's usually the gist, but customization is extremely deep and there's tons of ways to customize your setup.  There's also two other titles which are more like expansions instead of sequels, where you can import your save file.  Also this was the other title made by From Software that people remember, but if you're looking for what people bill as Dark Souls' precursor grab King's Field.

Herc's Adventures: An unrelated spiritual sequel to Zombies Ate My Neighbors.  No horror here, but plenty of humor.  This time there are three different people you can play as with strengths and weaknesses.

Incredible Qube: You're on a giant grid, and a bunch of cubes lumber towards you that you must remove before they run you over.  This is a puzzle game that looks like nothing at first, but gets extremely challenging later on.  The graphics are excusable, this was made on a Net Yaroze.  The console has a few other interesting puzzle concepts that take full advantage of the 3D like Roll Away or Devil Dice.

Deception series: You are defenseless yourself, but you kill intruders by setting up deathtraps in your house.  Each game of the three is different, for example the first one is the only one to have a first person perspective.  Also, the ending tends to change depending on who you let survive.  Tons of replay value for that reason.

Colony Wars series: A space sim.  Plenty of missions and multiple endings in each of these.  There's also Star Trek Invasion which was built on this engine.

Syphon Filter series: I guess you could call this Metal Gear Solid lite.  The similarities are pretty apparent, but they're actually much more action driven in spite of being billed as stealth games.  Also the plot is more spy movie like instead, so that may be more of your thing.  The PSP games after these are considered some of the best on that system, by the way.

Pro Pinball series: Even from GOG the PC versions can have some hiccups in running and also The Web isn't even available there, so these versions can still be relevant.  Best pinball on the console pretty much.

Mort the Chicken: Plays kinda like Sonic 3D Blast but with no speed segments, a much harder focus on collecting the birds, all in 3D, and five billion chicken jokes.  It's not the best game but I like it, and very few others seem to give it a fair shake.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 03:58:16 pm by Chronosplit »

Leviathan Mist

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2020, 04:41:55 am »
I forgot about Armored Core! I had a blast playing the demo of that on one of my demo discs. Just wished I could upgrade my guy in the demo.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2020, 04:57:15 am »
Why not the Windows version?  Currently available on GOG for all of $1.

Only Dreamcast version supports analog controls. The music has been butchered on PC and it's prone to not working on current systems.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2020, 08:47:25 am »
Only Dreamcast version supports analog controls. The music has been butchered on PC and it's prone to not working on current systems.
I see. I would have thought someone would have modded it by now.

Poy Poy springs to mind, though that's probably not much good if you're playing alone.

Also, Tobal 2 is supposed to be pretty neat.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2020, 11:39:01 am »
Thanks for all of the recommendations, fellas. I'm gonna work on getting all these titles this coming weekend.  :D :cookie: 

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2020, 10:34:51 am »
I enjoyed Akuji the Heartless, an African themed platform/puzzle game somewhat like Prince of Persia. The graphics don't look so hot now, but I remember digging the music, theme and voice acting.

I'll second the recommendations for MediEvil and Siphon Filter. Abe's Odyssey was fun in its time, but I tried playing again recently and struggled with the sluggish controls.

The Spider-Man game (I think the first one) is one of my favorites.

One of the Alien games is rough around the edges and brutally difficult, makes it feel just like the 2nd movie where every bullet counts and death may lurk in any shadow. A sentimental favorite. I think the other Alien game is highly regarded, but I never played it.

Blasto is a clunky, lousy 3D platformer, but it features the voice of Phil Hartman, not long before his death. His cheesy quips are worth the price of entry. I wish someone would isolate the sounds and release them, just so we could hear everything he says.

Roll Away is a brain-melting puzzle game where you play as a... beach ball.

Mortal Kombat 4 was endless fun with 2 players, but I don't think it works well in single player.

PS1 Space Invaders is a blast with loud speakers!

Googie

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2020, 10:17:14 am »
Thanks Polished, I'm gonna put those on my get list too.  :D :cookie:

4lorn

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2020, 03:58:17 pm »
One sidenote, I recommend playing Legacy of Kain, but not on PS1. If you plan on playing that game, play on Redream (Dreamcast) emulator instead.

I'd suggest the PC version for increased resolutions, though nowadays it requires some fidling on modern systems.

As for recommendations:

Bushido Blade
Tobal No.1 (though from what I remember, the sequel was better)

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2020, 10:46:25 am »
I'll second Bushido Blade, I played it with my friend back in high school. There's really no other fighting game like it.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| Chicken Wings - Monikaze || https://youtu.be/11IKI36yDoo

Uberdubie

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2020, 11:41:29 pm »
Jade Cocoon: Story of the Tamamayu

It's sometimes compared to Pokemon in that you capture monsters and level them up, only this game far more adult themes (regarding death and pestilence) and is far more interesting mechanically imo.  You also fight as a human protagonist, equiping them with weapons and armor.  This game's version of 'evolution' involves literally combining monsters you capture, combining everything from their stats, combining special moves, mixing their elemental type, right down to (what truly makes this game unique) making their own combined and unique physical appearance/3D-models/skins.  The level of customization is mind-blowing and never seen before or since afaik.  It's one of those RPGs that frequently goes under the radar and I don't know why or how.

Googie

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2020, 05:20:43 pm »
I managed to get all the games you fellas suggested, and they're all really cool. Somma the games you fellas mentioned I remember having, PS1 brings back memories when I was in my 20's.  :crazy:

Feel free to keep the suggestions coming, all together I have 129GB of PS1 games now, thanks again fellas. ;) 

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2020, 02:23:14 am »
Feel free to keep the suggestions coming, all together I have 129GB of PS1 games now
Amusing as this thread is, maybe you should play some of them before you go looking for more..?  :huh:

KAGE-008

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2020, 10:09:57 pm »
One sidenote, I recommend playing Legacy of Kain, but not on PS1. If you plan on playing that game, play on Redream (Dreamcast) emulator instead.
I agree with this. Visuals on DC version are much better, and yes on Redream it's pretty playable. Constant 60fps even on my Lenovo tablet which has a modest Snapdragon 625 and 2GB of RAM.